Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello, seeking some advice in regards to upgrading drag washer for Shimano Stella 10000SW (with buying SOM 16k spool)

I have found the washers are really thin and seem to wear fairy quickly esp under heavy drag load.

Had a washer even split under 15 kg's of pressure.

Looking at getting some carbontex washers cut out to suit.

Would this have any impact on the performance of the reel and or has anyone tried this. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks is advance.

Graham McKenzie

Luke I have had a similar issue with my stella 10000 and after a lot of mucking around I went and brought a JM 1600 spool.
Stripped it down yesterday and easily saw why they get the extra drag they claim.
A set of 6 carbontex drags in the main stack and a further 3 stacked under the spool  :o The engineering is impressive to say the least.

Then just replaced the standard washers in the stock spool and will use this with 50lb braid

One other thing to check is the Bail arm roller bearing as I spotted mine had corroded badly and needed replacing.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I had issues with my 10000SW.

Sold it and purchased a Saltiga.... bye bye issues.

Personal choice though ;-)

Regards,

Chris

Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
I agree about the bail arm roller bearing Graham, it appears it may be a common issue  also and have noticed the same problem on a friends reel.
Shimano service is efficient tho as they have supplied me with a hand full of rollers and replaced the bearing.
The 16000 spool does look very impressive but, as I read in another post on I don't beleive the 10000SW can handle the punishment that spool can dish out. The carbontex washers would cost 1/20th as the price of the spool and I am not concerned about line capacity so I thought forking out the extra cash just for an upgraded drag system may not be worth it ??? ::)
Might have to consult a mortgage broker and purchase the spool  ;D ;D