Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have been using the SOM NL spool since it was released and thought it might be useful to provide some observations after using it for such a length of time.

The SOM NL has gone from being a wonderful piece of bling to pretty much an essential piece of equipment to making a Stella 10000 perform the way it should. It has a significantly improved drag and more line capacity over the standard 10000 spool. In fact, it carries enough to make it an ideal spool for PE8.

If I remember correctly, the SOM NL has a claimed maximum drag around 20kg. I have never wound it to that point as I couldn't fish it but based on having had it to the mid-teens, it has significantly more drag to go on it so I have no reason to doubt what is claimed. I have found the drag to be very smooth under heavy load. An excellent thread On the drag of the spool and servicing it was posted by Enoch Li a while back so there is no need for me to go into this.

If there is a weakness to the drag on this spool though, it is that it is susceptible to getting wet. I suspect that the holes in the spool which look great cosmetically and which reduce the overall weight unfortunately also make it easier for water to get into the drag system. I have found that if your reel is exposed to waves, spray, rain etc, moisture can get into the drag. A tiny bit of moisture sees the drag get a bit jerky but more moisture will see the drag start slipping badly. It won't even pull five kgs once it gets to that point.

Fixing this is as though - you just need to strip it all out and dry it thoroughly.

I have found this spool to be very corrosion resistant in that I have not found a mark of rust on the spool itself anywhere, not even under the braid to date. What you do need to watch though is that if you have one of the original releases where the underside section is attached by screws, the screws themselves are a point where rust can build up but that is the only point where I have noticed any corrosion build-up at all.

Overall, it's been a terrific product that has performed admirably. We have landed some very big fish using this spool and it's capacity has proven to be adequate.

Very recently, Jigging Master have released a very similar product. I have one and will be testing it out over the next year. The drag system looks pretty impressive to me although cosmetically, it doesn't look as good as the SOM NL.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Maybe there's a small thing I can add here and its to do with the drag issue - whereby it doesn't seem to be anything over 10kg even when locked down to the max.

I've seen this happen on a few rare occasions and after purchasing a 16000NL spool, found that it had happened to me too (this was with dry washers after being stored in the box).

After opening it up, I've found that this was caused by one of the top washers (specifically, the topmost metal gear-like plate) being incorrectly aligned inside the spool. This can happen when there's not enough pressure so that it doesn't sit inside the ridges such as its meant to. This seems to result in it actually not stacking up properly with the rest of the washers. In other words, if there's not enough pressure, it can easily misalign, because its sitting above the ridges - sort of like a spring. It's not an issue once its properly aligned and then pressure is applied because it then sits inside the ridges.

To fix this, all I did was simply lift up the top washer (the one with the rubber seal), make sure this top washer (that looks like a gear) was aligned properly with its teeth sitting in the ridges, reassemble and then tightening the drag down on it again, while carefully making sure that realignment did not occur before tightening was done. Drag pressure was immediately increased from easy rotation with my wrist on locked drag, to something I would assume is much closer to 20kg.

Hope that makes sense.
Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:14:05 PM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

William Espina

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
thanks for the reviews brandon and kasey, really helps as i am about to get one too.

cheers

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Another piece of information to support the SOM NL is that while Shimano claim a drag of 25kg, this is off the arbor with no line on the spool. According the the formula this approx. halves by the time a full spool of line is used.

SOM claim their drag (20kg) is with the spool full of line (see link below)

http://www.studio-oceanmark.com/en/index.html

Les

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
thanks for the feedback guys, i usually just screw down the drag and rinse under warm tap after use, will wanter still get in the drag stack like this? would i need to take out the drag stack and dry it all out?

Cheers