Jeen Raj

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Popping Accident
October 19, 2011, 09:13:48 PM
I have a bad news from Lakshadweep. Day before yesterday  afternoon two Fishermen from Singapore where popping the reef  just outside the bangaram island on a boat that we have been using since the last couple of years.The captain is a personal friend and knows his job very well.

However..  It seems one of the angler was fighting a decent GT  close to the  reef and a rogue wave picked up the boat and smashed it on to the reef.  A local fishing boat passing by spotted the captain and one angler drifting  just out side the surf and pulled them in . The second angler was missing. Both the angler and the captain  are hospitalized with injuries from the coral. Sadly the other angler didn't make it and his body was picked up much later.

I am wondering if any body from the forum know these guys from Singapore.

Jeen

Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:20:03 AM by Jeen Raj

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Re: Popping Accident
October 19, 2011, 10:45:51 PM
Wow that is terribly sad Jeen... a true tragedy....

My condolances to the family and friends of the poor angler... may he rest in peace...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2011, 11:57:38 PM
Terrible to hear, hope those hospitalized make a healthy recovery.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 12:42:14 AM
sigh.. i'm sorry to hear that.. my condolences to the family of the deceased.. the 2 missing anglers off mersing, malaysia, still has yet to be found.. sigh..

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 02:30:02 AM
which bad news, condolences with the family.
It's a tragedy
I will fish in Lakshadweep at the end of March 2012
sorry for my english

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 08:17:31 AM
This is on top of the recent accident in Malaysia where a fishing boat got hit by another vessel at night. It's tragic for this to happen and just emphasizes that safety is paramount.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Narc

October 20, 2011, 11:37:33 AM
The survivor Desmond is a customer and friend of my shop. He spoke to me about a month ago regarding this trip while he was picking up some tackles in the shop. Desmond is an experienced angler whereas I do not know the deceased. They were up there to attend a wedding and made plans for a couple of days fishing. Sad to lose another angler and wishing Desmond a speedy recovery.
Let's all remind ourselves to take safety as top priority when fishing.

Aaron Concord

October 20, 2011, 08:53:02 PM
That is horrible news.

Sincere condolences to the anglers and family's involved.

It is an unfortunate thing that our target species tends to live in some gnarly rough areas.

Better to just give a spot a wide berth or go home and enjoy a beer if the conditions are marginal.........