Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Yumeya 12000 Corrosion issue?
August 17, 2011, 06:43:05 PM
Great info, thanks for posting that.

I've been fishing for many a year and never pulled line off before except to replace it, so was wondering what this regular line stripping was all about!

Al Morrison

August 18, 2011, 03:11:54 PM
Whilst stripping the line off and re-loading is a pain it is helped by using the Daiichi winder, puts great tension on and has made the whole re-spooling process a lot easier for me. I've never waxed before .... but i guess it comes to every man to try it sometime! Another job to be performed before the big trips.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 04:10:39 PM
knowing shimano spool quality, i always stripin lines out after each fishing trip.
Just imagine, 2 stella 8000, 1 10000FA, 1 SW20000PG, 2 SW10000XG, 1 SW5000XG, 1 Dogfight....tough winding....but for me that is the only way NOT to see any corrosion on stella's spool.

Winding in back, i just used the tension from Daiichi winder which give me enough tension to pack-up my spools.

cheers
izhan

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 10:32:05 PM
How many people seriously strip line from all their spools after each trip? Not something I have ever heard recommended, but now I am worried. I do rub the spool with Inox or lanoguard before putting the line on but only take it off if I am respooling.

I'm with Stu here, but not worried, with a new spool or putting on new line a good spray and wipe over with Inox, no corrosion under the line with 8 Stella spools and only a couple of spots on the top of one 8yo 10K FA. I did have some surface corrosion on the underside of the reel body under the plastic guard in the early days, now on to it  ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Adrian Braun

August 19, 2011, 02:04:57 AM
no corrosion under the line with 8 Stella spools

Those 8 corrosion free Stella spools, are they SW or FA? Thanks

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 19, 2011, 08:14:46 AM
Six are FA and two are SW
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 25, 2011, 05:44:00 PM
Great post. Good information. Thank you.

John Sykes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 25, 2011, 01:47:17 PM
Up until last year I was using Inox on my reels and still experiencing minor corrosion issues.  I switched to Ballistol and haven't had a problem since.  My local tackle store will no longer recommend Inox to spay reels with and won't stock it claiming it actually has a negative effect.  Don't know if there is any truth to this but I haven't had a problem since I went to Ballistol either and as a bonus I haven't had any more Bail Roller or Handle bearing failures either.  As an aside I have been told that the shimano service dept in Australia uses ballistol too.
Cheers,
   John.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 27, 2011, 06:31:02 AM
Up until last year I was using Inox on my reels and still experiencing minor corrosion issues.  I switched to Ballistol and haven't had a problem since.  My local tackle store will no longer recommend Inox to spay reels with and won't stock it claiming it actually has a negative effect.  Don't know if there is any truth to this but I haven't had a problem since I went to Ballistol either and as a bonus I haven't had any more Bail Roller or Handle bearing failures either.  As an aside I have been told that the shimano service dept in Australia uses ballistol too.
Cheers,
   John.
Hi John,
What type of Ballistol oil did you use for your reels? The "Universal" or "Seal" type?

Greetings,
Dan

John Sykes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 27, 2011, 07:16:37 AM
Hi Dan,
   I'm using the universal type, can't praise it highly enough.  I wasn't aware there was a "seal" type, have you used that one and if so for which applications?  A couple of long time guides up here love the universal because they can spray it on their lures as well and because of the aniseed in it they haven't noticed an adverse affects in terms of catch rate.  They are claiming that they only replace hooks these days through being bent or blunt, not because of corrosion.  I guess I'm raving about it but has made a huge difference to my gear. No affiliations, just a happy customer. ;D
Cheers,
   John.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 27, 2011, 08:26:37 AM
Hi John,

No - I haven't used any of the Ballistol products yet. The "Seal" type is this one: http://ballistol.de/index.php?article_id=82&clang=1  Though, I don't know whether it will work on reels.

Previously, I did not apply any anti-corrosion product on my reels but sticked to the usual tapwater/dry cloth approach. Despite my efforts I started seeing minor signs of corrosion on a Stella 18000 and was considering to use WD40 - although it works as a solvent on oil/grease and therefore should be kept away from moving parts. The Ballistol (Universal) seems like a good alternative and I will now try it on my reels for a period and see how it works.

Greetings,
Dan

John Sykes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 27, 2011, 11:16:22 AM
Dan,
  Sorry, I should have mentioned that Ballistol does the same thing with regards to dissolving other oils and greases but unlike Inox etc. I am happy enough for this oil to be in my bearings. I use it on my baitcaster spool bearings as well to good effect.  I do however keep it away from the grease on the spool shaft and in reality it is only a light coating. I don't soak the reel with it. 

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 27, 2011, 09:56:36 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that Ballistol does the same thing with regards to dissolving other oils and greases....,
John, thanks! I didn't know that. Anyway, I will try the "Universal" type from Ballistol and see how it works - though as a start I will apply it to the reel housing and external (non-moving) parts only. And try it on rod guides, lures etc. Looking forward to the Aniseed approach.

Ingredients (according to a specification from December 2002):

* pharmaceutical white oil: CAS RN 8042-47-5; Mineral oil
    * Oleic acid: CAS RN 112-80-1
    * C-5 alcohols: CAS RN 78-83-1; Isobutyl alcohol
    * CAS RN 137-32-6; 2-Methylbutyl Alcohol
    * CAS RN 100-51-6; BENZENEMETHANOL (9CI)
    * different essential oils to perfume Ballistol
Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:42:46 AM by Dan Wulf

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 02, 2011, 12:05:07 AM
The "Seal" type is this one: http://ballistol.de/index.php?article_id=82&clang=1  Though, I don't know whether it will work on reels.