Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fireline for casting
December 30, 2007, 10:44:44 AM
Hi,
Anyone used fireline in 50-80lb breaking strains ? I think its more wiry at those ratings, but after a while may come good. Just wondering if anyone uses those classes and how they found it?

cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Fireline for casting
December 30, 2007, 12:52:03 PM
Andrew, I personally don't like the Fireline much. It feels quite hard and wiry, especially compared to some of the Japanese braids.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 02:42:46 PM
I had a look at some just now, and wasnt as bad as I was expecting. I dont want to get any of the expensive brands as fishing of the rocks will see me go through a fair bit, but comparing it to the tuf line im using which has failed a few times in the past week maybe it can be an alternative. Its a bit thicker that will help with abrasion possibly, but as long as it doesnt feel like fence wire going through the guides maybe its viable.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 05:03:12 PM
Andrew, with 10lb or heavier use on Spinning reels only, lots of bad reports on casting with overheads, its good for trolling or bottom bashing though. I used to use 14 and 20lb on my TSS4's years ago for spinning, now the same combo's are mainly used for bait jigging.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 05:11:18 PM
Yep, going on an eggbeater. I have some braids on my overhead reels, but they are topshot with money for casting. The line Im looking for is for the DF....I might just take this tuf line off and put it on as backing on a SL50SH I have, then respool a new lot on so I can use the reel next trip.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 08:11:24 PM
they are topshot with money for casting.

That's an expensive topshot! ;) ;D

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 08:26:45 PM
Andrew The Nitlon is very nice off the rocks and isnt that much more $$$ wise.

Pete

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 08:37:44 PM
they are topshot with money for casting.

That's an expensive topshot! ;) ;D

Oops..I meant mono....

Ive only used nitlon once and that was in the very light stuff and wasnt too hapy with it. It might have been the reel it was on at the time, so havent used it since.

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 09:06:49 PM
Andrew AT ONE STAGE WE ONLY GOT WIPLASH AND FIRELINE IN SOUTH AFRICA IN 600+ SPOOLS .USED 50 AND 80 LB ON TUNA AND WORKS WELL SPOOLED ON TRINIDAD 40.ON COFFEE GRINDERS WORKED WELL FOR SPINNING FOR YELLOWTAIL AND LIGHT JIGGING .TENDS TO CUT ITSELF OFF IF NOT WOUND ON VERY TIGHT THOUGH DISASTER AS FLYLINE BACKING OFF ROCKS WORKS EXELLANT AND IS THE STANDARD FOR OUR SURF FISHING NOWADAYS. 
 CHEERS MARK

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 30, 2007, 11:51:19 PM
I'm with Peter with the Nitlon, I now have it on all my bait casters, although I only use it up to 30lb even on the spinning reels as I go to its big YGK brothers Jigman and Ultra Castman for 50lb and over, mainly for the depth and length colours. ;D

I tested some super fine 10lb Spiderwire Stealth tonight, I just formed a loop off the spool with an 8 turn uni knot and put the loop on a snap swivel fixed to the scales, I pulled the line buy grasping the spool until it broke at just over 8kg on the single strand about 50-60mm above the knot, did it a second time for the nearly the same result, 60-70mm above the knot was the only difference.
 I was surprised the knot and loop on the snap stayed in one piece to nearly 18lb :o
Greg 'FFF' Burt