Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ocea Jigger
January 12, 2008, 08:56:57 AM
I was wondering whether anyone has an Ocea Jigger that they can give me an opinion on. I'm not even sure why I am doing this but I was thinking of learning how to use an overhead for jigging. I know - I don't even know how to jig properly with a spinning reel but assuming I am going to get an overhead, would an Ocea Jigger be the way to go? Why is the Ocea Jigger regarded as a better reel than a Trinidad for jigging?

I was thinking of a reel to fish PE8 - do I go for a 4000 or 5000?
Second, do I go for the 4.1 or 4.9 gear ratio?

This is ridiculous - obviously just as excuse to buy more fishing gear!  :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Ocea Jigger
January 12, 2008, 09:22:30 AM
'WHY'!!! more gear to carry around that you won't use, once down and a quick jig and you will reach for the Stella Nirai combo. Cam got one for the same reason, nice reel and didn't have one ::).
Last week we gave the Accurate 665 combo a run for the first time in about 18 months, after being busted off after about an hour it got racked and only the spinning combos were used. ;D
IMO leave overhead jigging to the diehard Jiggers or die trying.

PS: Mind you if one turned up in my rod rack I wouldnt complain
Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:26:52 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 09:41:50 AM
most of the best jiggers use overheads so maybe people will think I know what I am doing if I get an overhead out   ;D
I think I need one.....

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 10:16:31 AM

I thought there must have been another reason, not just more 'Bling' ;)
If I was after one it would be the 4000P with PE6 [86lb] Ultra Castman for Jigs up to 300grms, more fun with less pain ;D.

The 5000 is a wider 4000 and only 20grms heavier
Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:22:50 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 05:23:23 PM
Brandon,
you pretty much know where I stand.  Jigging is way more mechanically efficient and less tiring with overhead, especially in deeper water with heavy jigs.  OJ 4000P (jigging should be done with 'P" Power models) is as good as anything, I have one.  The drag out of the box is excellent, the power arm is the right length, the reel is spot on really, save for not having the convienience of lever drag.  I tape 1 spoke of the star nut so I know what setting I have and also measure 1/4 turn in either direction so I know the drag setting if I adjust in either direction.  I changed the handle over for a JM T-bar but that's the only modification that was necessary. 

As all are aware, most acomplished Japanese jiggers use spinners, but they fish relatively shallow water.  Taiwanese guns, fishing deep water, use overhead reels to a man.  I like spinners for inshore work to say 30-35m, but in deeper water, where technique and rythem are needed because you may want to explore from the bottom up to say 30-60m from the bottom, overheads rule - period.

Don't buy high speed overheads for jigging! (though 4.9:1 is ok) 6:1 Accurates are useless compared to their lower geared models which are excellent (once you add a JM power arm - standard one is too short, T-bar and docking set).

PM me your address and I can send you a couple of DVD's so you can see Liu's technique - he's a master.  You will need to view it in slow motion though.........that's how I learned

Andrew
Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 05:39:11 PM by Andrew

Paul Taylor

January 12, 2008, 09:13:03 PM
Brandon,

I have a Torsa 20, looks similar to the Ocea Jigger and I have matched it a Blue Rose (Shimano), it appears to be a nice outfit although I am only a Novice and have not had much of a chance to use it.

I believe the Torsa is a more appropriate reel than the Trinidad.

Regards Paul

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 12:25:04 AM
thanks andrew

Paul - wouldn't the Torsa be hard work to jig with the wider spool and weight? I am already uncoordinated enough as it is and I thought the narrow spool would be easier for me.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 04:45:34 AM
Hi Brandon.
For you, I will comment  ;D ;D

Ocea Jigger 4000P. If I had to buy an overhead all over again, that would be it. Dont worry about the star drag. After all the mods, my accurate's lever drag has now pretty much become a 'star drag' in that either its freespool, or alot of drag. Haha.  :-\ I don't own one at the moment, but have 'shared' one with a few friends on some trips. The P will be very helpful in pumping power. The 4000 helps too with weight and balancing due to width of the reel..... and if a truly big doggie wants to strip you.....  ??? ??? ... a bit less line is the only difference.

My view, (neck on line) overheads do have their limitations in deep water. Not as many ways for the retrieve compared to spinning. But it offers a few different options, which also limit it. Eg, fast mechanical stroke, which not all fish will always take. Also, if your right arm gets tired (I prefer to retrieve spinning with right arm) then left arm can be used to retrieve with overhead. Twice as many samsons!  :P I also view overheads as fun for inshore. But my influence is different. Mr. Kubo for inshore, and people like Mr. Bevan, Mr. Suzuki and other accomplished singapore anglers offshore. The ones that don't need to say much but are quietly deadly in the game.

Anyway, thats a whole different can of worms. I may just have different learning curves, and have different perceptions. Might change my mind with more experience. But anyway, 4000P; if later you don't want it you can sell it to me  :D
Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:47:31 AM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Tim Mitsopoulos

January 13, 2008, 02:20:19 PM
Brandon , if you do decide to go with the 4000P buy it off Minstortackle on ebay since you can't buy them in OZ .Know a couple of guys who have bought reels and other gear off him with no problems and he has good feedback.
At the moment with the OZ dollar your looking at around $515 AUD delivered for the 4000P from him.

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 07:07:55 PM
Hi Brandon
i got a ocea 4000p on a blue rose b51sd the reel is a gem using it on tuna ,no real big fish yet but you cant go wrong with the reel got the trinidad 40n and no comparison in performance.
cheers mark

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 09:51:25 PM
Yip i got a 5000p with a upgraded drag is a sweet as reel but i still go back to the stella after a coupple of drops, for me a spin reel seems alot easier,i can get 20kg of drag out of the jigger no drama and there is a lock up button if you wish to go for a swim.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Marcus Lee

January 15, 2008, 12:52:53 AM
Hi Brandon,

I wouldn't say the best jiggers use overhead reels. However, there is perhaps a trend among some Japanese anglers towards overhead outfits for jigging. Mr Mogi for example seems to love the Torsa...most of his recent pictures on Grouperboys show him using the Torsa...his shop is stocked pretty well with Torsa reels too :)

Fisherman...i'm sure Mr Bevan has been influenced a great deal by Mr Suzuki...but the thing is that Fisherman does not produce many jig rods in overhead configuration...the entire Spinoza short range is built with spinning specs...so Fisherman does not cater to overhead jiggers very much ;)

Versatility in the jig stroke? You can vary your jig stroke with overheads...Mr Mogi has a very controlled medium-slow stroke...while AG Liu & Tang are perfect with the the characteristic JM high pitch short jerk (ie. mechanical jigging)...Papa Otsuru of Blue Heaven fame is also almost always seen jigging with an overhead reel :)

Jigging videos? Mr Liu is poetry in motion and the JM videos of him in NZ and Taiwan really showcase his skill...people tend to idolize Matsutani-san, Mr Suzuki, Okubo and other Japanese jiggers but the Taiwanese jiggers are very hardcore too...if there's someone really worth watching its Bobby Chung from Taiwan...he's got one of the most awesome jig strokes with a spinning reel! He's a tackle shop owner and has produced several videos for the Taiwan Sevenseas & HOTs club.

Ultimately I think it boils down to what your more comfortable with...since a spinner doesn't do the job for you, why not give the OJ a shot!

cheers

Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:59:32 AM by Marcus Lee

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 15, 2008, 08:26:27 AM
Hi Brandon,

I wouldn't say the best jiggers use overhead reels. However, there is perhaps a trend among some Japanese anglers towards overhead outfits for jigging. Mr Mogi for example seems to love the Torsa...most of his recent pictures on Grouperboys show him using the Torsa...his shop is stocked pretty well with Torsa reels too :)

Fisherman...i'm sure Mr Bevan has been influenced a great deal by Mr Suzuki...but the thing is that Fisherman does not produce many jig rods in overhead configuration...the entire Spinoza short range is built with spinning specs...so Fisherman does not cater to overhead jiggers very much ;)

Versatility in the jig stroke? You can vary your jig stroke with overheads...Mr Mogi has a very controlled medium-slow stroke...while AG Liu & Tang are perfect with the the characteristic JM high pitch short jerk (ie. mechanical jigging)...Papa Otsuru of Blue Heaven fame is also almost always seen jigging with an overhead reel :)

Jigging videos? Mr Liu is poetry in motion and the JM videos of him in NZ and Taiwan really showcase his skill...people tend to idolize Matsutani-san, Mr Suzuki, Okubo and other Japanese jiggers but the Taiwanese jiggers are very hardcore too...if there's someone really worth watching its Bobby Chung from Taiwan...he's got one of the most awesome jig strokes with a spinning reel! He's a tackle shop owner and has produced several videos for the Taiwan Sevenseas & HOTs club.

Ultimately I think it boils down to what your more comfortable with...since a spinner doesn't do the job for you, why not give the OJ a shot!

cheers

That's a great post mate - very informative. I actually saw Papa jigging with a spinning reel the other day and thought it was very unusual. Agree with 100% about Mr. Lui ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 15, 2008, 08:53:46 AM
Thank you for your poost, Marcus. Actually, thanks to everyone who took the effort to respond.

Liu isn't as well known as the big name Japanese but to any truly keen exponent of the sport, the man is clearly a master of his craft.

I think I will get one for the hell of it but now it takes me to my next question being what rod I get to go with it. Something that has a similar action to a Nirai would be nice.

MikeOsborn

January 15, 2008, 11:33:13 AM
is mr liu the guy with bleached blonde hair in the 3 kings JM DVD?

I have been getting out jigging 3 or 4 times a week recently just fishing with my pro gear oceanus 30 on jm400 which has been fantastic but on the last trip one of the lads came out with a oc jigger 4000p and a similar jm400 rod. WOW is all I can say, I want an OC jigger. just felt like such a perfect match ;D and come the end of the kingi season I think the pro gear will be for sale and replaced by the shimano ;)

I dont know how guys jig with spinning reels?? it feels awkward and unco to me ???