Jean-Marc Maujean

GT popping Bali
November 10, 2011, 07:31:56 PM
Goodaye Chaps
Have finally got a holiday after spending the last 16 months opening my tackle shop in Darwin and am taking Family ot Bali and want to go gt popping and jigging for the day can anyone recommend a charter company they have used or heard about. Thanks
Frenchy

Jean-Marc Maujean

Re: GT popping Bali
November 10, 2011, 07:36:26 PM
Goodaye Chaps
Have finally got a holiday after spending the last 16 months opening my tackle shop in Darwin and am taking Family ot Bali and want to go gt popping and jigging for the day can anyone recommend a charter company they have used or heard about. Thanks
Frenchy
just found some more posts re bali very excited

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 10, 2011, 07:55:15 PM
Hi Jean Marc

When were you thinking of?  I can probably fix you up OK.

Jean-Marc Maujean

November 10, 2011, 09:12:57 PM
Goodaye Mark

I am flying out on sunday and hope to go around wednesday

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 10, 2011, 10:58:41 PM
Basically your options are as follows:

1. A day at the main Bali GT site (Batu Abah) which does hold some very large GTs (just saw photos of a recent October 2011 claim of a 60 kg fish there for example... I reckon that was an ambitious shout, but it was certainly 50 kgs). You should understand that it is a fickle site and can be really, really hard work for no return.  There are also good jigging spots very nearby with Dogtooth, GT, Amberjack, Ruby Snapper etc).

I can probably get you a mates' rate day charter out there with a very good boat for Rp 4.9 million (about AUD 540).    It is about 60-70 minutes sailing from the main Bali dock out to Batu Abah.

2. Crossing the straits to the much less fished Lombok sites. This is a bit of a longer boat ride (90 mins to 2 hrs depending on the seas) but there are a lot more fish.  It is mostly GT popping there with fish 10 to 30 kgs typical, and the odd real monster. There are some well kept secret jigging sites especially for Amberjack but I have rarely caught much in the deep water over in Lombok.

Same boat charter would be more expensive - more like Rp 7 million (about AUD 770).

I am a bit tied up next week myself and will be fishing in Lombok for 2 days this weekend. However, I might be able to join you for either option and split the cost.
Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:01:40 PM by Mark Harris

Jean-Marc Maujean

November 11, 2011, 08:37:08 AM
That sounds great can do either trip i'm letting the shop pay and can do any day of the week as this will be the main trip i book the rest will be with the family. I think the popper trip would be more fun haven't done it for some time. Used to do it for a living as a teenager out of Cairns so keen to use some of the gear I have and smash some dog GT's.

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 11, 2011, 09:51:25 AM
mark you heading out in 2 weeks time at all? am heading to bali witht he mrs and wasnt planning fishing but a day of fishing would be nicee :)
When x meets y

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 11, 2011, 12:01:15 PM
Almost certainly Marko. Please drop me a pm with your dates.

Jean-Marc Maujean

November 11, 2011, 12:31:19 PM
Mark am keen to get a day out if you could come be bonus - any day you recommend I will book mate
Thanks heaps
Frenchy (the Tacklebox NT)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 11, 2011, 12:32:37 PM
PM sent :)

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2011, 08:22:48 PM
hi all

im also flying to Bali on sunday for a week. Jean Marc please let me know if you are interested in finding/splitting a charter together.

I have already emailed explore and Adhek requesting a booking.

cheers guys!

my email is [email protected] if you wish to get in touch jean marc, ill check this site also

thanks

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 13, 2011, 09:34:54 PM
Should be possible for Damian, Jean Marc and myself to shot out together one day next week... I will let you both know.

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 21, 2011, 09:58:33 PM
Well we got out for our day of popping and jigging in the end!! after a very unlucky boat problem with the planned operator, Mark bent over backwards to get it all teed up and we ended up out on the water with Ena fishing on their centre console beast - Sea Angel.

We had fantastic weather - albeit quite warm- and I literally popped until I dropped, had a fantastic time in the process.

Unfortunately no fish were caught, but thanks to Mark and Frenchy for a fun day on the water.

P.s. for the birdwatchers amoungst you, its worth noting that we did see a beautiful white-tailed Tropicbird, which is apparently extremely rare.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 21, 2011, 11:06:55 PM
Yeah, it was a shocking day fish-wise with just a handful of misses.  Whilst poor days with just a few fish are understandable at that site, a complete zero is very unusual. After all the drama with cancelled boats, we deserved a good one but it was not to be.  Sorry about that guys, but it was great meeting you both.

If it helps, friends of mine were out the following day and completely blanked.

The birds, cetaceans and general stunning scenery make it a bit easier to take I guess, but still not good.

Narc

November 23, 2011, 12:41:14 AM

If it helps, friends of mine were out the following day and completely blanked.

Wicked!