John Sykes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Entry Level Rod Comparison Etc.
October 27, 2011, 12:35:09 AM
GT Special
  The rod I looked at today has been updated cosmetically and there are a few differences to the previous model.  The Blank structure can be clearly seen now and the bindings are now black with broad silver trim band. There is also a new Fuji "fossil wood" reel seat which seems a bit "twee" to be honest.  I guess that at least they are trying something different even if it is no better. Heavy spin is the one area where reel seats really need more work.  The fact that rods of this calibre are still using a $15 DPSD style seat is crazy. I thought we would at least have titanium hoods by now!  As usual the rating this rod is given by Shimano is broad to say the least. There is no way known I would fish PE3 with this rod.  Not knowing a whole about how a certain rating rod should feel at this level my gut says 6 and pushing 8 when I loaded it up.  The way the blank loaded up was fairly predictable resulting in a nice working curve.  My gut also says this is the one to buy as I think it will be the better to cast of the two whilst still being able to knock over a good fish with smooth rod work and sensible use of drag.  The drawback that I can see with this rod in comparison to the Venom is its' weight.  This is an unbelievable rod considering the $300 I was quoted for it.
   Wilson Venom PE 8

Ben Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Entry Level Rod Comparison Etc.
October 27, 2011, 04:38:45 PM
Great post John, I share your thoughts entirely on the reels. I just bought the Stella 10 and an SOM 16000 and loaded it with Varivas Avani PE6 85lb for jigging and I use the original spool for casting. (the lip on the SOM is not the best for casting). It's now a nicely weighted reel for medium popping rods.

Keen to see the report on the rods.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 07, 2011, 03:57:41 PM
Mate, if you can find a Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu long cast (butt join 2 piece) I highly recommend it.
Awesome casting distance and grunt combo.
I use it on a Stella 10000FA with 65lb Tuf Line and it has accounted for 2 GTs of 40kg, 1 of 45kg and many in the high 20s and mid thirties.
Some find the butt a bit long but I just wear the gimbal a bit lower.
I bought it as a back up to the Gipang and WV but its now become my go to rod for the all round ability and especially the casting distance.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
Hi John

If you are looking at a $470 Venom could you go another $140?  If you could, then have a really serious look at the Kaiser EL Toro 150 v2. This is a fantastic value rod that fishes like many almost double the price.

The Australian stockist is forum sponsor Gara Pro Shop and you can see the El Toro 150 here: http://gara-proshop.com/cscart/kaiser-el-toro-150-v2.html.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 07, 2011, 05:56:30 PM
Hi John

If you are looking at a $470 Venom could you go another $140?  If you could, then have a really serious look at the Kaiser EL Toro 150 v2. This is a fantastic value rod that fishes like many almost double the price.

The Australian stockist is forum sponsor Gara Pro Shop and you can see the El Toro 150 here: http://gara-proshop.com/cscart/kaiser-el-toro-150-v2.html.

I have to agree with Mark on this one, I used my mates a few times fishing in Bali recently and it was a superb rod, pretty good all rounder for medium sized poppers and stickbaits.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 07, 2011, 07:31:48 PM
Hi John

I have this rod. It is very nice and casts extremely well.

Ben Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 20, 2011, 02:23:44 PM
How did you go John? I'm still hunting around for an entry level rod and I'm now leaning towards the Kaiser's. I've been looking for a Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu but can't find one. The Diawa Saltist Demon Blood PE8 was nice and light for an 8 footer for $400. I found the Saltiga's a bit short at 7'6".

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 20, 2011, 03:11:42 PM
If you can do the extra dollars (not so many) Ben, the the Kaiser El Toro's are a whole different world of quality from a Caranx Kaibutsu.

If you are ever up in Bali you can have my Kaibutsu Surface Monster for $200 or trade for a few decent lures. It is unmarked looking brand new and sits in a rod bag doing nothing. That should tell you that I don't like this rod much!

Ben Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 20, 2011, 07:10:53 PM
Thanks Mark, thanks for the honest review. I was thinking of the Kaibutsu Long Cast for the extra length but I think you've put me off completely. There's another used Surface Monster for sale over here but I might give them a miss altogether. The Kaiser El Toro 15o v2 is still the favourite. I'm building a house at the moment so it's going to take a couple more weeks of saving. Sometimes I wish I was into something cheaper like birdwatching. Maybe not.  ;)

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 21, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
Surface Monster Kaibutsu is an animal and designed by King Kong by the feel of it but then again it is not an entry level rod.
The Deep Monster is only slightly less painful. Again I would not say entry level.
The Long Cast though is much more user friendly and capable of knocking over 40kg fish without too much drama...well no more than could be expected.
I've used all three extensively and the Long Cast is the only one I would recommend. Sold the DM and SM so you get the picture.

Damir Ruk

November 21, 2011, 10:19:34 PM
Hey John, just my 5 cents, my outfit is a Stella 10000sw and a Daiwa Saltist Demon Blood 802xh. Great balance. 8 foot, PE 8. Only caught small GTs with this but have heard of 30+kg from 9 mile off Tweed heads. You should be able to get this for 399au.