Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are you still using a Gimble Belt to fight fish?
November 16, 2011, 03:55:02 PM
Hey guys,

I have never been on this forum and endorsed anything like this before, and i'm doing this because if you go GT fishing, you need to check out one of these things. We are hardly ever using a normal gimble anymore, and we've been using these things for the past 6 months testing them.

They are called a cush-it you can check out their website at www.lunaseasports.com

We have started using the medium size Cush-it on all our GT casting rods on charter, and they have seriously revolutionised the way that guys fish on charter. So, why is it so good, and what does it do for you that a gimble does not?

- Use the medium size cush-it on the end of your GT rod when fishing, and no more bruises under your arm or on your side from popping with the rod under your arm. Just totally comfortable fishing.
- There is no more slack line when you hookup and try to get the rod located into your gimble, the cush it is already on the end of your rod, and you just start fighting the fish, so easy!
- It is a lot easier to maneuvre around a small boat without a gimble belt on, and when the fish gets close to the boat, you don't have to leave the rod in the gimble and risk high sticking and breaking your rod, you just move the rod under your arm while someone grabs the leader, or while you bring the fish in the final few metres.

I won't waffle on any longer here, the fact is that we've been using them on charter for a while now, I love them, I have used them a lot myself, and I reckon they are far superior to a gimble for GT fishing, and also for deep jigging(use the big one for deep jigging - the best thing ever for jigging!!). If you're going to be fighting a fish for 5-10 minutes you might want the large size, but for short quick fights with most GTs, the medium size is perfect and you can leave it on your rod when casting and working lures. I used one of these a few weeks back on the 50kg GT I caught, and it was just bloody marvellous!!

They are available at a bunch of tackle stores around the place, but you can of course also get them from our webshop

http://www.nomadtackle.ashop.com.au/c/253274/1/fighting-belts.html

All the best out there, and good luck to everyone on the water

Damon Olsen.
Nomad Sportfishing.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Looks like a really neat idea.

How tight do they fit the butt end Damon?  And where does it live while you are casting?

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hey Mark,

We are using the medium size one, and the great thing is that it stays on your rod while you are casting, it just fits neatly over the rubber butt cap on the rod, nice snug fit, won't fall off, and the great thing about this is that when you are popping with the rod under your arm, it gives you a big cushion. You just cast with it on the end of the rod, and when you hook a fish you are ready to fight, no searching for the gimble slot!! No more bruised armpits after a day of popper fishing, and no more bruised groins.

The only tip I have is to use a bit of sunscreen, just a little, to "lube up" the cush-it when you put it on the rubber but cap. Just makes it easier to get off after a few hours is all.

Damon.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Guys ,

This is nothing new , used another version in the 90's when I still trolling , if not mistake from memory I used a New Zealand product then . As for the question whether I still use gimbal belt attached to waist harness .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hey Mark,

We are using the medium size one, and the great thing is that it stays on your rod while you are casting, it just fits neatly over the rubber butt cap on the rod, nice snug fit, won't fall off, and the great thing about this is that when you are popping with the rod under your arm, it gives you a big cushion. You just cast with it on the end of the rod, and when you hook a fish you are ready to fight, no searching for the gimble slot!! No more bruised armpits after a day of popper fishing, and no more bruised groins.

The only tip I have is to use a bit of sunscreen, just a little, to "lube up" the cush-it when you put it on the rubber but cap. Just makes it easier to get off after a few hours is all.

Damon.

Ah, now I get it!  It is on the butt end while you cast. Wow.  I guess that might take a little getting used to but you guys clearly have no issues. 

I suffer a fair bit from underarm sore patches (especially when jigging after popping) and this seems like a great solution.

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation Damon.

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Jon,

yeah, the idea has been around for ages, with attempts from Daiwa, shimano and many others to make something like this, but this is the first one I've used that actually works. None of the other ones were of any use while jigging or popping to stop sore patches under the arms either.
The other nice thing about these that I forgot to emntion was that they also float your rod if you are unfortunate enough to drop it while casting!! I've seen that done a few times.

Damon.

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hey Mark,

It does take a bit of getting used to casting with it on the end, but seriously, after 10 minutes you forget it is even there, and the comfort it gives while casting makes it very easy to get used to!!

Damon.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Sounds awesome. Will have to get one.... or two.

Chris

Jay Peterson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I can see why they work so well... God they look awful though!

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I can see why they work so well... God they look awful though!

They do look a little suggestive don't they.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Tennis ball with a hole in it does the same.

Did it for years with the LBG stuff.

Pete

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I'll have to try the tennis ball, but I reckon you're a tougher man than I if you can fight GTs all day with just a tennis ball on the end of your rod!!
nice idea anyway.

Damon.

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Chris,

There's a competition coming from the manufacturer to do the best video showing how people use their Cush-its. If you reckon they look suggestive now, wait til people start sending videos in for that one..... I'm scared!!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'll have to try the tennis ball, but I reckon you're a tougher man than I if you can fight GTs all day with just a tennis ball on the end of your rod!!
nice idea anyway.

Damon.

Your probably right Damo,

I havent tested the comfortablity on days where you are getting say more than 5 fish per day.

I wouldnt be in a comp with you for a test of toughness either..! ;)....Ive seen you bowl over GT's in minutes..!

Pete

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Brought one today from the Nomad Office - they look like they will do the job nicely!

Also discussed trip options with Claire :)