Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
RACE POINT 200
December 02, 2011, 01:22:15 PM
Hi Fellas,

I would like to know more about the race point 200. I'm basically looking for a rod to cast 80-90gm poppers and (mostly subsurface) stickbaits from the rocks but still have enough grunt to land a decent yellowtail kingfish... fishing 80lb braid

after a huge amount of reading - I've narrowed it down to the race point 200 or maybe a tenryu spike SK842-80GT in my price range

i can also get a second hand smith 80P/35 for $300 - but it seems like that particular blank won't load up well with the type of lure i want to use

From my understanding the Race Point is designed and tested by you guys and built in the Smith factory (i  like the sounds of it already!) - However I have struggled to find a lot of information on either rod. eg:

- how well do they cast?
- what are the optimum and minimum cast weights?
- how well suited are they for pulling 25kg kings out of shallow reefy water

right now I'm leaning towards the race point 200 but any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards,

Gavin

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
Re: RACE POINT 200
December 02, 2011, 03:00:32 PM
Hi Gavin,

The Race Point 200 is built after the Race Point 250, we felt the need for a little extra distance.
The rod will cast lures from 75g to 120g comfortably and fully loaded with backbone to haul up big fish!
The rod was brutally tested for Blue fin tunas and GTs in different parts of the world before we finally gave the "OK" for production.
Attached are some pictures of the rod in action.

Cheers,
Paul.
Hi Fellas,

I would like to know more about the race point 200. I'm basically looking for a rod to cast 80-90gm poppers and (mostly subsurface) stickbaits from the rocks but still have enough grunt to land a decent yellowtail kingfish... fishing 80lb braid

after a huge amount of reading - I've narrowed it down to the race point 200 or maybe a tenryu spike SK842-80GT in my price range

i can also get a second hand smith 80P/35 for $300 - but it seems like that particular blank won't load up well with the type of lure i want to use

From my understanding the Race Point is designed and tested by you guys and built in the Smith factory (i  like the sounds of it already!) - However I have struggled to find a lot of information on either rod. eg:

- how well do they cast?
- what are the optimum and minimum cast weights?
- how well suited are they for pulling 25kg kings out of shallow reefy water

right now I'm leaning towards the race point 200 but any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards,

Gavin

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2011, 03:18:35 PM
Hi Paul,

First of all - thanks for the quick reply! It sounds good!!

how does it rate as a casting rod in general? or is it more of a fish fighting tool?

also how much to send one to Sydney, Australia

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
December 02, 2011, 03:24:25 PM
Gavin, check your PM.
Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:25:57 PM by Peter Childs

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
December 03, 2011, 01:28:57 PM
Hi Gavin,

You are welcome!
The rod cast great with bigger or heavier lures.
This rod is a fighting tool :)
Shipping to Australia will cost approximately $125 by UPS excluding insurance.

Cheers,
Paul.
Hi Paul,

First of all - thanks for the quick reply! It sounds good!!

how does it rate as a casting rod in general? or is it more of a fish fighting tool?

also how much to send one to Sydney, Australia