Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rarotonga/Cook Is help :)
June 16, 2011, 09:58:39 PM
Hey guys, the boss has just announced we are going to Rarotonga in March next year for a family holiday (I thought we were going to Hawaii?)
Can anyone shed some light on the GT possibilities over there inc charter reccomendations? This is not going to be a hard core trip, but it would be nice to tangle with a G or 2!
Thanks for any info.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rarotonga/Cook Is help :)
June 17, 2011, 12:02:38 PM
Does Janine know you've put up this post?..........Hardly looking after the kids while she goes to the day Spa!

You're in soooo much trouble.

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 17, 2011, 07:05:26 PM
 :DThank you Peter, I appreciate your concern for my well being, but a bit of fishing has been "negotiated" into the trip. I don't even know if there is a day spa on the island? The few charter options I've Googled up seem to pretty basic, but anytime on the water is always cool :d

Nick Darling

• Past Sponsor
  • Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 18, 2011, 09:49:37 AM
Hi mate,

I am heading there next year also. I live in fiji so i am lucky enough to be able to fish a few times a week so the Mrs cant understand why I am going to hire out a charter over there when we are on holiday.....

So far the only guys that i have found is captain Moko's fishing charters. From what they said when i contacted them is that not many people at all pop for GT's at all. The woman i spoke to did say they frequently see GT's estimated at upto 50kgs!!!!!

These guys quoted me around $600nzd for a private charter.

I hope this helps and please post a trip review when you get back as i will be there in feb 2012.

Good luck!!

Cheers

Nick

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 19, 2011, 05:57:57 PM
Hi Nick, yes I saw Capt Mokos website. He looks like a bit of a character! 50kg GTs sound alright :D

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 19, 2011, 08:34:40 PM
Hi Doug,

For Rarotonga sportfishing, a small scale but very skilled guide is Pupuke Robati Jnr. He has a basic potimarara wooden boat but I have heard outstanding things about him. (one example while jigging, he can actually 'hear' the fish making a grunting noise through the braid line and therefor picks it for a GT mid fight)

Have a great trip, the Cook's would be a wonderful place to visit (and fish a bit) Raro, Aitutaki, and beyond...

Cheers David

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 22, 2011, 07:42:27 PM
Thanks Dave, i appreciate your feedback. It seems not many guys have worked this area. I'm sure we will have a great time, GTs or no Gts (prefer "GT" :)

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 12:49:10 AM
Just make sure you don't have to many. ;)

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2011, 04:10:36 PM
We are in Raro quite often and due respect to Moko but he does like to troll for wahoo, yft etc and isn't really into catching GTs and does like to do things his way , I have fished with him . There is an Aussie lad , Kyle , Bluewater Adventures who would advise you on the GT possibilities and also any prospects of casting to YFT.He has a decent little boat you can cast off and is reasonably priced . Moko's $600 will get you a charter but he will want fish to sell. You can find Kyle if you do  a search for Bluewater Adventures on the web , there is also some reef casting for GTs than you can walk out and do yourself.
Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:17:03 PM by Rory McPherson