Alfi Ahmad

New Saltiga 5000H Problem
December 02, 2011, 01:55:09 PM
I m a huge fan of the new Daiwa Saltiga Reels (Mag Oil Seal)  and have full series for my collection. Recently, I used my Saltiga 5000H over New Caledonia and landed 2 GTs over 40KG size. Now I could feel my Saltiga 5000H kind of rough when I spin it n no longer smooth when i first got it. Suspected an internal bearings problem and had returned to Daiwa for service/repair. Just need to know if anyone ever experience any problem with new Saltiga Reel ?  :(

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Saltiga 5000H Problem
December 02, 2011, 08:13:52 PM
Hi Alfi

I think it is quite ambitious targeting big GTs in a place like New Cal with a reel as a small as a Saltiga 5000.

If the problem is bearings I am sure you would have noticed big time (the noise especially) when the reel was under load with a big fish.

Not a bad idea to send it back to Daiwa for a once over but you might well find that there was nothing seriously wrong. Sometimes reels just naturally feel a bit less smooth after their first few big fish.
Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:15:47 PM by Mark Harris

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 03, 2011, 12:43:50 AM
That reel really got punished.
Sounds and feels like Fream J after landed few mama samsons. :'(
I suspected either the shaft bearing kaput or the main gear misaligned. :'(
Alan Hawks made a review http://www.stripersonline.com/t/768370/daiwa-saltiga-2010-the-review.

Juz my 2 cents

cheers
izhan

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2011, 01:32:20 AM
That reel really got punished.
Sounds and feels like Fream J after landed few mama samsons. :'(
I suspected either the shaft bearing kaput or the main gear misaligned. :'(
Alan Hawks made a review http://www.stripersonline.com/t/768370/daiwa-saltiga-2010-the-review.

Juz my 2 cents

cheers
izhan

Izhan ,

I have fondled the new Saltiga 5000 , not sure if it's a repacement of #6000 or #6000GT but in my opinion , it's more a replacement of #4000/#5000 to me . That Alan Hawks' review suggest it's not a GT reel at all but time will tell whether this new reel is worthy of Saltiga name as the previous model's reputation . During the early days of Z4000/Z4500 , I broke one Z4500 and a cousin of mine broke another , both reels were bought at the same time so I suspect come from the same batch , another Japanese expatriate friend also broke one and I knowsomebody in Europe broke another at around the same approximate period of 2005 ~ 2006 .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 03, 2011, 01:57:05 AM
Jon,
I also fond the Saltiga 5000. It has been my main PE5 setup, paired with TBL80/30. So far, never has experience like Alfi. The only thing worried me is the rubber washer in-between the handle and the body. Easily loose it if the user is not carefull. A friend of mine lost it and need to order it from Daiwa Japan.

I also got the "legendary" Saltiga 4500H for PE4 setup. So far I considered it as my lucky reel since caught for me many GTs. Serviced it locally once a year. Body paint and gearing still ok. Not as smooth as Stella 8000 but I like the toughness of Saltiga, not easily dented. I think mine is 2006 model.
Which part of 4500H that broke? I need to be more careful in the future.

Cheers
Izhan

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2011, 03:09:47 AM
Jon,
I also fond the Saltiga 5000. It has been my main PE5 setup, paired with TBL80/30. So far, never has experience like Alfi. The only thing worried me is the rubber washer in-between the handle and the body. Easily loose it if the user is not carefull. A friend of mine lost it and need to order it from Daiwa Japan.

I also got the "legendary" Saltiga 4500H for PE4 setup. So far I considered it as my lucky reel since caught for me many GTs. Serviced it locally once a year. Body paint and gearing still ok. Not as smooth as Stella 8000 but I like the toughness of Saltiga, not easily dented. I think mine is 2006 model.
Which part of 4500H that broke? I need to be more careful in the future.

Cheers
Izhan

Hi Izhan ,

Z4500 is my sailfish popping reel mated with BC75MHS , I broke the stem of the reel when fishing YFT in Pelabuhan Ratu in 2005 so yours should be from different batch as mine . I sent it back to the shop where I bought it from in Singapore and they in turn sent it to TCE Sports and on to Daiwa in Japan , they return it with a repaired reel with old parts instead of just sending me with a new reel  :-[ , check this : Broken Saltiga

Jon .
Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:20:52 AM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Son Pham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 08, 2011, 11:40:33 PM
sounds like a typical daiwa reel problem mate.  They make it with the whole mag seal thing to make it run super smooth out of the box but after you wear it in, they become super noisy and rough.  Most of the time the ferrofluid leaks into the other compartments and down the main pinion gear.  Causing dilution of your grease.  Your gears might be running dry with no grease and just oil so no protection and hence the rough feeling.  Needs a good service. I don't think there would be a problem with bearings or anything major.

regards

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 11, 2011, 05:44:55 PM
Some more problems with the 2010 Saltigas.

I recently returned from the Montebellos where I had taken a brand new 2010 5000H. It performed well until it was asked to tame a small/medium sailfish. The drag was very "grabby" and subsequently the fish was lost. While I believe there were other factors, the drags lack of performance certainly contributed.

Once back home I stripped the drag and to my amazement the metal washers were stamped with quite severe edge rolling, with the lugged one being the worst. The previous model z4500 had machined washers, although they were anodized. While the advice was to return it to daiwa, I did not want the same washers given to me agian, so I honed them down using wet and dry on a glass plate. The washers were so far out I had to start with 240 grade paper. Also I found the washers were very thin and I had to lightly glue a "dop stick" to the washer so I could hold it firmly flat against the glass. (Note: if you do do fully clean the drag washer and use a small amount of hot melt glue, it simply peels off when finished).

While I have not retried the drags performance, I am optimistic that all will be well.

Les