Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
landbased stickbait rod - pe 6-8
November 23, 2011, 03:37:08 PM
the title is pretty self explanatory - does anyone have any recommendations for a landbased stickbait rod (also for small faced bloopers around 90gms)

I'll be using it for kings mostly - i want to fish 80lb braid

Jonathon Hwang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: landbased stickbait rod - pe 6-8
November 23, 2011, 05:22:57 PM
Hi Gavin,

Was in the same boat not too long ago - looking for a landbased all rounder cause I didnt know what I wanted from a rod yet. Settled for a Gipang 83h.

I think you may want to set yourself a budget as some suggestions could lead from a few hundred money to lots more money than you expected......

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 23, 2011, 05:42:53 PM
Hi Jonathan,

good thinking! it will be used on the rocks so it will cop some abuse - I only really want to spend $500 ($600max)

I was thinking something like a caranx pencil instrument or a temple reef black devil ? but i think the former is discontinued... not sure how much the latter will cost landed in Australia

i know it needs to be able to cast 80 - 100gms and fish say 10-12kgs drag for short periods of time

how have you found the gipang?

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 05:48:00 PM
Aloha Gavin,
I just received a Black Hole Nano 106N blank. Its a 10'6" blank that would throw easily in that lure size range. I cut mine down by about 3" to stiffen up the tip a bit to pop with 150g+ poppers from the shoreline.
If you want a blank with more power, try look at the United Composites 100H2-J and 100XH2-J. They are 10' buttjoint rods with serious lift. A totally different rod than the Black Hole (which has a more traditional surf action), very stiff and a bit heavier. This season a few of us will be using the 100XH and 100XXH to try and land monster GT from the rocks.
The Lamiglass 1322M blank has been my faithful GT rod from the rocks and it likes to throw poppers up to 120g.
We have also fished the Black hole 80N and 86N off the rocks last season and found that they dont really come alive until you start working into the 130g-180g lure range.
Hope this helps in some way, shoots! 

Ken Uechi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 06:24:26 PM
KPC,

I was going to buy the lighter 10'6" BH blank and build myself a custom shore based plugging rod, but instead, I ended up getting a Yamaga Blanks Blue Sniper 95H when vacationing in Japan.  I guess it worked out better that way since my rod wrapping skills are marginal... haha.  The Yamaga rod is great as far as casting and working lures goes; when I hook up a fat omilu or ulua on it, we'll see how the fighting power is.  I can't wait to hear about how the BH 106N rods come out!

Ken

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 10:03:46 PM
I use a saltiga 86 gt for most of my Landbased stuff with a dog fight loaded up with 80lbs in shallow tiger country as I call it
I cast cuberas and skipjacks with it no worries and droping it on the stones don't hurt as much as a fisherman or ripplefisher do

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 30, 2011, 12:44:58 PM
thanks for the replies fellas

Aloha Nathan!

I had a shake of one of the black hole nano carbon blanks 2 days ago (not sure which model but it was about 8.5ft long) - doesn't feel as responsive as a normal graphite rod? I'll do some reading on the united composites rods too

Hi Sydney,

thanks for your reply - I'll see if I can get my hands on a GT86 to have a shake/ load it up

I really only want to throw and work smaller lures (up to 100gms) so ideally the rod would have plenty of power when hooked up but a lightish tip

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 04, 2011, 12:06:08 AM
Top pick for me would be MC works as they make some specific land based models
Although the one below is a tuna rod and is at the high end price wise.

http://www.saltywatertackle.com/product.php?id_product=383

Xzoga like them or hate them make a couple of rods that would suit as well and they are cheaper especially purchased from minstor or similar.

And cheaper again would be the daiwa demon blood and shimano T-curves that would do the job.

Carl Hollis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 04, 2011, 04:32:26 PM
Zenaq Fokeeto Trevally 83/7 matched up to a 10000SW - love it
Carlos

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 04, 2011, 09:11:18 PM
worth having a look at Jigging Master GT 78 great rod for the money .

Jonathon Hwang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 06, 2011, 07:40:41 PM
Hi Jonathan,

good thinking! it will be used on the rocks so it will cop some abuse - I only really want to spend $500 ($600max)

I was thinking something like a caranx pencil instrument or a temple reef black devil ? but i think the former is discontinued... not sure how much the latter will cost landed in Australia

i know it needs to be able to cast 80 - 100gms and fish say 10-12kgs drag for short periods of time

how have you found the gipang?

Hi Gavin,

Sorry for the late response.

I havent had a chance to use it yet. I'm still overseas and will be few months before I get to see water back home.....

It looks awesome but I think it might look better with a reel attached and a king hanging off the end of it......

Have you settled on a rod yet?

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 07, 2011, 03:26:30 PM
Hi Jonathan,

I finally bought a tenryu spike GT - specs look about right to me and i had to make a decision quickly while the better class of kings are still hanging around!

should arrive in about 2 days - if its not right then i guess its back to the drawing board to find something that works.

as you probably know finding a landbased kingfish popper/stickbait rod for kings is not that easy.... its basically a niche market within a niche market (trying to buy gear which you can't see in person) so it looks like we just have to find a rod designed for something else and adapt it to the situation (having said that the carpenter BLC 84/18 sounds nearly perfect!)

I'll let you know how it goes when i get it... got another couple of rats on the weekend (but the NE'rs have pushed the current edge out wide again where i fish)

thanks to everyone who contributed!
Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:29:24 PM by gavin chau

Luke Anderson

December 11, 2011, 05:05:28 PM
I also run the saltiga gt 86 with dogfight and 65 pound tut line off the stones flicking big heavy 175grm plastics for Jew. A great combo