andreas pichler

difference black and silver gt ????
December 07, 2011, 12:49:13 AM
hi everyone
iam working atm offshore on a oilrigg of karratha ,been watching a lot of gts for the last couple of months ,
looks like there are some gt,s that are always here and it gives me a good opportunitiy to see there behavours.
there is a school of smaller gt here around the 10 kg mark but also around 6 gts around probably +20 they always travel as pairs one black  one silver even in the smaller ones are sometimes in pairs ,the king out here is on pair ,were i called the siver one BB for big bertha ,and that one is a fish of a lifetime i recon 50 kg .
do gt change there color depending on mood or sex ?
thanks for any answers ,,and no fishing allowed and a 500 m exclusion zone for boats :((   :'(
andreasl

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: difference black and silver gt ????
December 07, 2011, 01:08:57 AM
Hi Andreas - it is widely believed that the black GTs are courting males. That theory is supported by anecdotal evidence from anglers as black GTs always seem to be the most lively fighters.

I think this is the blackest one I have ever caught:

Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:12:57 AM by Mark Harris

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 07, 2011, 07:58:32 AM
Hi Andreas - it is widely believed that the black GTs are courting males. That theory is supported by anecdotal evidence from anglers as black GTs always seem to be the most lively fighters.

Mark is correct as far as my understanding goes.
The black GT is a male GT looking for a good time.

Cheers, Chris

Michael Gordon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 07, 2011, 12:47:48 PM
Hi Andreas It must be very difficult watching all those GTs swimming around & not being able to throw a popper at them.I don"t think I would be able to withstand the temptation.

andreas pichler

December 07, 2011, 12:54:14 PM
thanks guys
as it looks,the black one are the males ,makes sence and i think they are kind of monogam as i see the the same couples all the time
nice fish ,chris
Hi Andreas It must be very difficult watching all those GTs swimming around & not being able to throw a popper at them.I don"t think I would be able to withstand the temptation.

sure is mich

Mark is correct as far as my understanding goes.
The black GT is a male GT looking for a good time.

Cheers, Chris
sure is hard ,driving me crazy :)) but i would get thesack and blacklisted straight away .beautyful to see them just cruising around all day

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 07, 2011, 12:56:50 PM
Andreas forgive my ignorance but are you not allowed to throw a popper after hours?

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 07, 2011, 03:32:42 PM
Could you sneak in a handline and stick bait?  :D ;D

Kenny Koh Kee Koong

• Fusilier
  • My job is to pop for GT.!
  • Liked:
December 09, 2011, 02:21:18 AM
As a fish hatchery technician, I have handled GT's for a breeding program before.
GT change colors from time to time depending on their mood.
I have seen breeding female being black and school of male in sliver during spawning proccess
The ratio for the breeding program is 4 female to 20 male so more or less I can tell who is male and female
I have also notice this patterns lots of time.
At times smaller male GT will turn black when coming close to breeding moon phrase
and being very aggressive.
FYI GT breed every new moon and full month phrase.
My 2 cents of info
Tks
Kenny
Fishing n cycling is my life.I dream of venturing to new places for fishing spots n cycling Trails.This passion will follow me forever. Even when i'm old,the rod shall thus be my walking stick n my bicycle shall be my transportation.One life.Live it!

Kamalu Charlot

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 13, 2011, 02:46:54 AM
Kenny can you give any other info on GT's that you have learned.  Also any scientific or first hand sources that you have come across life span habits etc.  I live in Hawaii and the fisheries have been hit hard.  For some reason the people I talk to are afraid of breeding/restocking programs though the ancients practiced it religiously.  There even seems to be doubt as to whether GT's in the 100lb range are to old to breed. ::)

http://ulua-fishing.com/hff/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11849&sid=52916473fd3e8f61983b793b250d853a&start=15