Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If this does not get you excited, you are on the wrong forum!!

GT Mobile BOMMIE - Thousands of GTs 20 to 40 kilos!!

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Ryan,

thanks for the comment, one of the coolest things I've seen on the water that's for sure!!

Damon.

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Makes me want to jump on a plane right now and head over  ;D

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
A seriously awesome number of fish there.

Thanks for posting.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
What an awesome sight..!!

Great footage guys. 8)

My next trip with you boys is just about sold......Jewell or Bligh....mmmm..?

Pete

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Insane!!
Damon if you ever need a guide to give the guys a holiday I'll do it!! I promise I'll drive the boat and not toss a lure, honest!

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
That looks promising , rekon I'd have a good chance there .

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Rory,

all you need to do when you find those mobile bommies is get your lure in the water and they eat it!! I'm sure you'd be more than a chance...

It is a pretty unique thing and something we only ever see at Jewell Reef, they must be spawning because we've seen them like this every year for the past 6-8 years and they are always there at that time of year. I've never heard of it happenning anywhere else, and we've not seen it at any other reef ever, and I guess they are there to spawn, same as the black marlin that time of year. Seeing a big brown shadow the size of a football field on the surface, filled with big GTs does get the heart racing, but after 4-5 hrs of catching them many people can't stand up and ask to get taken home!!!
Damon.

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I'll have to check out your website, Nomad, about this - approx is this the time of year to be there?

Alex Stuart

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
That is fantastic!
Love the underwater shots...

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Rory,

it happens during Oct-Nov each year, doesn't seem to be any way yo predict when, but the mobile bommies are there frequently during this time, you just have to find them.

Damon.

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hey Damon there's another post in the general section about black GTs being breeding males. Did you see many in amongst these massive schools? Any thoughts on this theory?

By the way Mick and I still haven't used those Cushits of yours, we'll be giving them a crack soon enough though!!

Thanks, Mark.

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mark,

I am no scientist, but the generally accepted theory is that the black GTs are spawning males, I would love a scientist to actually confirm this, but I cannot for a fact confirm this is the case, but I believe it to be true based on what we've seen. A lot of the fish in those mobile bommies are quite dark and nearly a full black colour, there's enough of a mixture of black and normal silver ones in those schools to believe that the black ones are males anyway.
The other theory is that the black colouration is just an aggression type thing and they go this colour when excited/feeding. I guess they also get excited when they're spawning, so the black colour is probably the same sort of deal as when a big marlin gets "lit up" behind a teaser. The marlin also get lit up when spawning, so maybe the black colour on GTs is just the standard colouration for when they're excited.
The black ones are always angry and fight harder, that's for sure.
Hey, make sure to put a little lubrication in your cushit before use, no pun intended, and I'm sure they'll go well for you. Good luck when you're out there next.

Damon.