Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
favourite long casting lure for yellowfin
December 07, 2011, 03:46:18 PM
Hi All,

I was just wondering what everyones favourite lure for yellowfin is?

i guess my experience with this species is VERY limited - having only caught one small 10-12kg fish landbased from the mid north coast of NSW (on a popper) However, where i live (NSW) landbased yellowfin captures have reached a semi-mythical status (with a big fin capture from the stones being A LOT rarer than a landbased marlin)

the fish i caught came in off the end of a 140m (wind assisted) cast towards a current line with a williamson popper somebody gave me - i watched it turn from the current line in less than 7m of water and smash the lure off the surface!

I thought there were some more fish in the school and clipped off my lure and handed it to my friend so he could catch one - but the line snapped on the cast and the popper ended up in the pacific ocean somewhere! :o

anyway - still chasing that big yellowfin from the rocks and was just wondering if anyone can suggest a proven (long casting) surface lure for yellowfin?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: favourite long casting lure for yellowfin
December 07, 2011, 08:47:54 PM
Gavin, 140 metres even wind-assisted is impressive. What rod and line weight?

As for lures, one which is very well known for YFT in my part of the world, but rather under-exposed elsewhere is the Adhek Dragonet, 100 grams.  Works best on straight retrieve, although you can get cute with it as well.  Casts like a bullet.  I like it with an SJ43 11/0 single on the back and an ST76 4/0 treble off the belly.

Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:49:28 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2011, 10:18:29 PM
the Tackle House Shibukis and Soul Brabus' cast really well
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 08, 2011, 01:31:17 AM
Mark,

it was 10kg mono (pretty standard for high speed spin on the north coast) and a 9'6 saltist rod - might not have been exactly 140m (but about 120 cranks on an Emblem X after the line belly drops a bit)

on some ledges on the north coast of NSW its not that hard to cast huge distances on elevated platforms with a 20-30kt wind behind your back - just throw your lure about 45 degrees up!

that lure looks great! the 55grammer would be good for spinning up longtails as well (i use 10lb fireline on a CTS 11'6 S8 Surf rod for that)

Brandon,

I have a few shibukis - nice lure but i can't seem to punch them out more than about 60m? - maybe i need a different rod - i like the tacklehouse K-tens though - top light tackle lure
Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:19:18 AM by gavin chau