michael north

Takarajima, Japan
December 10, 2011, 09:27:27 PM
Ok, so I've wanted to visit Japan for some time now, and after hearing about the Tokara islands GTs in particular the land based popping in the harbour at Takarajima i'd be pretty keen to get over there for some mayhem. If I'm right in what I've learnt (and please correct me if not) the best time of the year is during the flying fish spawning which goes for 2-3 weeks usually.

So down to the nitty gritty of the matter, How easy is it to get to Takarajima? Is accommodation easy to get? Is there a consistent time each year which is best for land based popping for gt's and if so when.

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mick

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Takarajima, Japan
December 21, 2011, 08:02:29 PM
The season is not always on-time. Late May, early June.

It's not easy to get to. You have two options:
1. Fly direct to Amami from Osaka Domestic.
1.2 Find a boat to take you 100km+ Takarajima (unless you can get onto Mogi's organised trips, all Fukui-San's/Big Dipper season is booked, the ticket is not cheap due to remoteness)
2. Fly to Kagoshima
2.2 Island Freight to Takarajima

There are big GTs and even Dogtooth that come into the harbour. The only thing that was a let down was the uninspiring harbour at which this takes place. It is practically a concrete fortress the size of two football fields.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 21, 2011, 08:08:05 PM
Image of Takarajima Harbour.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 21, 2011, 08:16:58 PM
That is one ugly place to fish!  The thought of casting all day... no fish... concrete walls... aaargh!

It would all be worth if that monster hit though. The prospect of catching fish that size when land-based is just awesome.
Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:37:25 PM by Mark Harris

Kenny Koh Kee Koong

• Fusilier
  • My job is to pop for GT.!
  • Liked:
January 02, 2012, 09:14:57 PM
I can only dream to plan a trip there
And hitting a G.T land base like that is all I could day dream about
Cheers and good luck for your trip!!
Fishing n cycling is my life.I dream of venturing to new places for fishing spots n cycling Trails.This passion will follow me forever. Even when i'm old,the rod shall thus be my walking stick n my bicycle shall be my transportation.One life.Live it!

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 08:10:15 PM
A good shot at big land based GT is right here on Big Island Hawaii. March through August. Last season hooked two that looked to be up into the 100lb range, but both cut on the lava rock.

michael north

January 06, 2012, 06:55:31 PM
Cheers Luke,

I've dont some research and apparently there is a ferry that takes you out there so i'll look into that, im not sure if i'll go this year i just wanted to put my feelers out and see what the go is

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 07, 2012, 05:14:23 PM
Cheers Luke,

I've dont some research and apparently there is a ferry that takes you out there so i'll look into that, im not sure if i'll go this year i just wanted to put my feelers out and see what the go is

Yes, Michael. That's the Island Freighter / Ferry I refer to.

michael north

January 07, 2012, 08:53:55 PM
Ahhhhhh cheers for your help luke much appreciated

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2012, 01:14:29 AM
I'm not sure when you intend to visit Takara-jima. I will probably fish Tokara again in late April 2012, so if you need more information in relation to "Treasure Island", don't hesitate to ask.

taniy

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 15, 2012, 01:15:14 AM
There is some accommodation, but two or three.
There is one where Luke and I stayed and the place is very close to the harbor.

In late May to June, a flying fish season, you should bring lights because flying fish comes into the harbor at night time.  You should check and remember the area in day time. Otherwise it is bit danger.

Lures, you must bring sinking plugs, like Carpenter's PANDORA, FCLabo's Teibo Vibe.  It is qute difficult to catch GT by poppers.

One more info.  It is quite difficult to meet the good timing.  It is depending on where many flying fish come.  Sometime Suwanose Island, Akuseki Island, Takara Island or othre islands at Tokara area.

If you have questions, let me know.