Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Broken Fisherman BG Jack
March 04, 2012, 01:04:02 PM
Howzit guys,

A few days ago i broke my Fisherman BG Jack on a monster GT next to the boat. Does anyone here have any experience in dealing with the Fisherman Company about broken rods? I was wondering if they do any type of replacement or discount program on broken gear. Any advice, we do not have any dealers here in Hawaii so i think i'm kinda stuck on this one (and i dont speak Japanese). Thanks a bunch for any info!

Here is the fish, my first 100lb ulua on a Hammerhead E Cup in the Yellowfin Ahi color.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Broken Fisherman BG Jack
March 04, 2012, 01:08:12 PM
That is an amazing fish, great colour too  8)
Focus on the pop

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 01:23:15 PM
Try the mob you bought it of or maybe ask plat for some help
by the way nice!!! Fish seeing that broken rod scares me now knowing I have three of the fisherman lable,
Still you'll always remember that fish

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 01:32:33 PM
congratulations - a great catch - now that is a really big fish and though you've only claimed 100lbs, it puts a number of claimed 50kg captures to shame.
Fisherman do not offer a warranty so you're a bit stuck there. Can you advise what has actually broken?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 01:49:44 PM
Lovely fish Nathan and congratulations. Great to see a straight on photo instead of the usual wide angle trickery which makes every fish look like a monster.

Would be interesting to hear how and where the BG Jack broke.

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 02:09:20 PM
Very nice fish!! Looks like it snap just after the second guide from the tip.
Sure will remember these fish forever!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 02:28:00 PM
That break is a killer, I think
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 09:46:04 PM
Oh geez, I see the break now.. did not realise it was in the picture.  That one is surely terminal and it's a strange place for break. Maybe the rod had a big knock previously and the blank was weakened somehow?

Narc

March 05, 2012, 11:49:16 AM
Great fish!

you mentioned the rod broke at boat side? forgot to open the bailarm when landing the fish?
Brandon is right, Fisherman does not have a warranty programme.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 05, 2012, 12:25:09 PM
That break is a killer, I think

Congratulations on a cracker fish. I hope you like your new jigging rod too  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 05, 2012, 02:53:34 PM
Ahh too bad they dont have any sort of warranty program...  This was actually the first factory rod i've owned in years. I work part time as a custom rodbuilder, and rarely have anything around that i havent built myself. Anyone have any blank suggestions that would be comparable with the BG Jack? My supplier carries the Race Point 250 which i'd like to try. I need a rod that will let me rip the spine out of big uluas on max drag.

As far as the fish goes, it was my biggest so far, and was just on that line of the 100lb mark. It could've weighed 98lb or 102lb, but we never weighed it so we'll never really know. I know the magic weight for all you guys from around the globe is 50kilos, but over here we dont use the metric system, so out magic weight is the 100lb mark. And the ultimate goal is to land it from the shoreline; most people here dont give any credit to a fish landed from a boat "ah cheating like that, too easy" haha! I've hooked a few fish in the 100lb range from the shore, and each time it ended badly- as you could imagine.

If you look closely by the anterior dorsal fin you'll see a little red plastic tag. We have a state-wide ulua tagging program here in Hawaii, and we were fortunate to tag and release a fish of this size. The State of Hawaii provides an unlimited number of tags to any angler who requests them. The data is mostly used to track migration and growth rates. I recently tagged an 18lb bluefin trevally that was recaptured 12 miles away from where i caught it. Many GT and other fish have been tracked to migrate between and around the whole Hawaiian Island Chain, including bonefish (which really surprised me).

Thanks for the replies guys, shoots i really liked that rod too.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 11:46:46 AM
Shame about the rod - but if you are going to break one, no better way to do it than on a fish like that.

Great fish

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 11, 2012, 07:26:33 AM
Congrats,huge gt.
So.......if you wanna play have to pay.... :'( :'( :'(

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
March 11, 2012, 04:40:44 PM
Ahh too bad they dont have any sort of warranty program...  This was actually the first factory rod i've owned in years. I work part time as a custom rodbuilder, and rarely have anything around that i havent built myself. Anyone have any blank suggestions that would be comparable with the BG Jack? My supplier carries the Race Point 250 which i'd like to try. I need a rod that will let me rip the spine out of big uluas on max drag.

Hi Nathan,

Congratulations on the beautiful  fish and sorry about the Fisherman rod.
Please, if you don't mind me asking, who is your supplier in Hawaii? We do not have a dealer for the Race Point rods or blanks in Hawaii.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Paul.