Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader for Southern Oman
December 12, 2011, 08:56:42 AM
Hi guys.

What leader you recommended for Southern Oman to  jiigging and popping?
And the best way to connect leader + popper?

Thanks !!
Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:06:34 AM by Celso Mendonca

kegan mattheys

Re: Leader for Southern Oman
December 13, 2011, 09:14:04 PM
Hi Celso,

I would personally not go less than 200lb, i would fish 300lb +, the areas are very shallow with lots of cracks and reef structure, you will be fishing in water between 1m and 10m, some places make it very very difficult to get a big fish out.

Keegz

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 13, 2011, 10:17:35 PM
I personally don't like fishing for GTs with bite leaders, but with big fish living in only 1-2 metres of water in Southern Oman, there would be as good case as anywhere for using such a set up.

I am going to fish Hallinayat in Southern Oman soon and plan to start by using a single strand 200 lb leader. If the slicing gets to be bad, then I will try a bite leader system....... probably a kevlar sleeve over a 170 lb single stand.

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 13, 2011, 11:32:35 PM
Hi guys.

What leader you recommended for Southern Oman to  jiigging and popping?
And the best way to connect leader + popper?
Thanks !!

Hi Celso,
As Keegan suggest it, i wouldn't fish in less then 300lb leader, we caught fish in 1 meter and less and the structure is harsh!!
in April we landed 8 fish over 50kg in 3 days and in some occasion the heavy leader was accounted to have a better chance to land the fish,
i fished again in October and get reefed with a locked drag all the way!!!
be ready  ;)

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2011, 10:42:53 AM
Thanks guys. ;)
Sami,I saw your reports,congrats huge GTs. :D :D

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 09, 2012, 05:10:34 AM
Hi guys.

Yo-zuri HD Carbo Leader 300 lb would be correct?
Would you use this leader?

Robert Balkow

January 09, 2012, 06:33:00 AM
In preparation for our trip i ordered W-ons from Basil (BHP Tackle USA) in 200 and 300lbs made from Momoi monofilament line.
I hope this will work.

Greetz
Robert

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 09, 2012, 12:39:37 PM
I'll be using 300lb and 400lb Jinkai bite leaders.

I'll pre-tie a handful and get them ready for my trip.

Aaron Concord

January 10, 2012, 12:25:49 PM
Celso,

Are you using fluorocarbon leader as a "bite leader" or as a single length leader joined with an FG or PR knot???

Fluorocarbon is very hard and slippery. It can be hard to get a friction knot pt tighten properly.

Also, if you use it for bite leader, attaching it via crimps can be a little hard to prevent the fluoro from splintering during a heavy strike.

If you want something tough and something that will tie or crimp well, use Momoi XL marlin style leader.
It is really good, cheaper than fluorocarbon and will do the job very well. 

Cheers,

Aaron.

Luke Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 12:30:59 PM
On our recent trip to Oman we used 170lb varivas tied via a PR knot to PE8 Max power. I had 200lb leader on my PE10 outfit but to be honest I used my PE8 outfit with lighter leader for pretty much the whole trip. We got smoked a few times but even with heavier gear there would be no way of stopping some of those fish. I don't think you would need flurocarbon, its too stiff i find

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 01:00:57 PM
Yep Luke, I am going to start at least with pretty much the set up you used.... i.e. a normal GT fishing rig for me. 

In shallow waters with monster GTs, I don't really see anything making a big difference. You just have to accept that sometimes you will get smoked.  So I think you should just fish the way you enjoy most.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 01:37:28 PM
I've tried using the twisted leader as a bite leader (braid-FG-single FC leader-swivel-twistie-solid ring-split ring-lure)and the single strand (braid-FG-FC leader-swivel-split ring-lure), when I first started popping. My personal experience with the twistie is that I couldn't cast as far as the single but the lure action was slightly better than the single. Although the single did land further but IMHO, the lure's action difference is bordering on the negligible. Both types did enticed strikes and hook-ups too. However, with that said, when a monster takes the lure especially in very shallow waters, it doesn't really matter if it's a twistie or a single (unless your leader's a metal chain) as the chances of a bust-off is greatly enhanced in these shallows. Mark has got it right, just fish the way you feel most comfy with. Bust-offs are just a part of the overall popping experience.

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 13, 2012, 12:56:21 AM
Personally, I fished in Oman with nylon 300lbs.
As I use very short leader about 150cm, I sincerely believe that in this case  this resistance is not necessary, 170 or 200lbs is enough for me.  :-[
In all my exotic fishing trip have never broken down on a leader but always on the braid.
When a beautiful GT takes a popper in 3 feet of water at 60m. about the boat for example, she needs 2 to 3 seconds to reach the coral heads nearest.
I must admit that I can't  fishing with 17k. of drag  :P on the reel, perhaps it's the cause of my breaks down ( casse in french)
As always, it's just my opinion, I'm just a small fisherman, not in size but in experience  ;) ;)

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 14, 2012, 03:16:29 AM
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 11, 2012, 06:45:29 AM
Hi guys.
I used 300 lb wind on by Basil. ;)
Dog fight locked drag all time.  ;) Perfect,no break line.
I was lucky on my GT trip certainly come back to Oman. :) :)
Thanks for all opinions.
Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:18:36 AM by Celso Mendonca