Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Optimum Leader length
January 28, 2008, 11:11:48 AM
Wondering what you guy's consider to be optimum length for casting leaders ???
I personally don't like knots on the real so my leaders (twisted) are usually about 1 rod length plus bimini. I have found this length is enough for me to load the rod properly when casting from a small boat.
Interested in your thoughts. :)
Cheers Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Optimum Leader length
January 28, 2008, 11:49:36 AM
Like anything else, the leader length is a compromise acorss a few factors. Obviously, the longer the leader, the more protection you get in really unfriendly territory but it also compromises your casting. At maximum length, I have my leader just on the reel.

With single strand leaders, I am less sensitive to length than with twisted leaders and a turn or two on the reel doesn't matter as much to me
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 05:35:52 PM
Brandon
Just wondering if you ever get a wrap on your stripper guide from the bimini bouncing wide off the spool during the cast ?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 07:10:03 PM
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 07:44:28 PM
yes Chris, it has happened. I have reduced this incidence of this quite considerably now by reducing the quanity of leader I have on the spool. I have found that if my twisted leader is just on the spool that this has significant reduced the problem of this happening. It only needs to happen once and early in a trip and your rod can be rendered useless.

That;'s what I meant by it all being a compromise. if you want to reduce the incidence of this to almost nothing, then have a shorter twisted leader where the leader is ofa length where it doesn't reach the spool.

Brandon
Just wondering if you ever get a wrap on your stripper guide from the bimini bouncing wide off the spool during the cast ?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 08:49:43 PM
It has happened to me enough over the years for me to forgo leader length so that I can make a cast when it counts, it has always happened when the fish are ON. I have also noticed  that I have less reach on backcast in rough water when the leader is too long.
These days I like to get the eat then take my chances  ;D
Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:00:28 PM by Chris Young