Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Old favorites and new concept rods
January 22, 2012, 03:16:02 PM
Hi guys what's your taught on these. What's your old favorites and your new found love  :-*?
These days new concept rods are lighter and longer. (on my recent trip I get to try a few and they all felt great). However I always got a spot for old favorites. To me they are heavier, shorter and seem to be wider on the butt. But they feel tough and unbreakable.
My old favorites: smith rods/fishermen
New concept: RF ultimo 79H

RL

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Old favorites and new concept rods
January 23, 2012, 04:36:54 PM
The old favourite that will never leave my possession is Smith Komodo Dragon. Not sure I will ever use it again, but it is going nowhere.

Of the so-called new concept rods, I am hugely enamoured with the Carpenter offerings. Both Monster Hunters are incredibly light and easy to fish for such immensely powerful rods, and Endless Passion 82/38 is a just a dream of a rod.

Mike_Tan

January 26, 2012, 07:09:53 PM
UFM Ulua/GT are my all time favs. Never owned the Ulua before but had a feel of it. Have a GT 98 at home and still on the lookout for an Ulua =) they are really old school sticks and have a real nostalgic feel to them.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 26, 2012, 08:20:00 PM
I have to name a few rods for each specific tasks ;

The old favourites : SP710H-SHP for chugging , LR86 for distance casting , HL TN87 for tuna casting n TBL711/35RF for stickbait works as well as BC75MHS for sailfish popping .

The new favourites : CV79/40R-SHP , EP82/38 and BLC80/35R-PM-Super Cobra while still keep some of the old favourites ; LR86 , HL TN87 and BC75MHS .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 26, 2012, 09:20:31 PM
I have a heap of old favorites but the latest rods are such a big improvement over the older rods that the old timers don't get much of a look in any more.
If it swims; I want to catch it!