Peter Heinke

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Biomaster sw
December 24, 2011, 12:47:53 PM
Anyone had any experience with the new shimano biomaster sw series??

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Biomaster sw
December 24, 2011, 02:58:18 PM
my mate just got the bigger model few days back ago.the reel is really smooth .not a bad reel i think for the price.same kinda interior engine with stella.but outside body and spool is diffrent.we did test the drag with full spool it handle 10kg with ease .factory rating is 13kg.overall time will tell. :D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 24, 2011, 04:48:02 PM
It's an OK mid-priced reel.  Shimano do well in that mid-price market with Biomaster, Saragosa, Sustain and Rarenium.

What size are you looking at Peter and for what type of fishing?

Kriss,  I am not sure why you think the "interior engine" is kind of the same as a Stella?

Jamie Moir

December 24, 2011, 04:59:45 PM
The old or the new Biomaster Mark?

Isn't it the replacement for the TP  SW series? As such it has a few of the same buttons sticked as the stella series, although not necessarily the current stella series.

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 24, 2011, 05:13:22 PM
Nope - Not a replacement for the TP, more of a slight upgrade to the Stradic Range.

Another option close to this, but at $200 AUD is the JD Model - Shimano Aceration 8000.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 24, 2011, 05:26:17 PM
Is it Jamie?

I can't for the life of me see how a 6 bearing reel for that money could really be a viable replacement for the truly excellent Twinpower SW series. I think the 6000 and 8000 are about $300?

I remember similar things being said about the last generation of Biomasters (and Saragosa for that matter): "Stella performance for much less money... etc etc".

My local store had one last month which did the rounds of lots of regulars, including a former Shimano technician.  Mixed response mostly along the lines of "another mid market Shimano reel".
Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:43:05 PM by Mark Harris

Jamie Moir

December 24, 2011, 05:45:50 PM
Dunno, they seemed to be turning up about the same time TP supplies seemed to be vanishing in Australia, could be a coincidence.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 24, 2011, 05:48:32 PM
Ben, I don't think the Aceration is a JD model?  It is actually made in Malaysia and I thought targeted more at the export market a la Saragosa, Sustain and Rarenium?

I might be wrong there, although a surefire clue is that they give the line caps for the reel in nylon and lbs rather than PE!

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 24, 2011, 06:03:26 PM
Ben, I don't think the Aceration is a JD model?  It is actually made in Malaysia and I thought targeted more at the export market a la Saragosa, Sustain and Rarenium?

I might be wrong there, although a surefire clue is that they give the line caps for the reel in nylon and lbs rather than PE!

True That!!

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 25, 2011, 04:11:02 AM

Kriss,  I am not sure why you think the "interior engine" is kind of the same as a Stella?

hi mark according to manufacture specs.both stella sw and bio sw have (Dyna-balance ,
HD gear,S A-RB .I am not saying its exact same engine as stella sw.I am saying its "kinda" same.I dont have the gut to open both reel and compare the engine.but i would like to see if someone wana do that. :D
Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:13:27 AM by kriss brown

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 25, 2011, 06:07:24 AM

hi mark according to manufacture specs.both stella sw and bio sw have (Dyna-balance ,
HD gear,S A-RB .I am not saying its exact same engine as stella sw.I am saying its "kinda" same.I dont have the gut to open both reel and compare the engine.but i would like to see if someone wana do that. :D

Their not even close to a Twinpower, let alone a Stella. It's a Mid-Range reel, simple as that.

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 26, 2011, 01:56:32 AM

Their not even close to a Twinpower, let alone a Stella. It's a Mid-Range reel, simple as that.
ben i am not comparing for the price.I am talking about engine design .but material they use are totally diffrent from sw and twinpower u talking about.my point are base on manufacturer specs.thus all.
Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:58:43 AM by kriss brown

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 26, 2011, 08:27:26 AM

ben i am not comparing for the price.I am talking about engine design .but material they use are totally diffrent from sw and twinpower u talking about.my point are base on manufacturer specs.thus all.

Engine design = Basis for price. Mid range price = Mid range design. They don't give away the 'goods' for nothing.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 26, 2011, 01:15:56 PM
It was explained to me when the TP SW's ran out earlier in the year, that as the TP SW price range was so close to a Stella and therefore missing out on sales, the Biomaster was brought out to fill the gap between the Saragosa and the Stella.
Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:17:31 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 26, 2011, 02:54:54 PM
Are the Twinpowers unusually expensive in  Australia?

Overseas, the price difference between a Stella SW 10000 and Twinpower SW 12000 (for example) is about 30%.  That's always made the Twinpowers seem good value to me!
Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:57:39 PM by Mark Harris