Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Noiseless drag of SOM NL 16k spool
September 08, 2011, 05:44:44 PM
Ok something worrisome just happened. While I was playing with the spool on my Stella, the drag clicker somehow "popped" and now it only makes a whirring noise when line is stripped. Has anyone have this happened before? It didn't affect the drag performance but having a muted drag is a real bummer. Anyone can advise on how to fix this? Thought I'd get some opinion first before I take it apart cos' I'm honestly just not that confident with taking it apart. FYI, my "northbridge" ring is the screwless type. I'm guessing that's where you access the drag clicker???

Michael Gamble

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Noiseless drag of SOM NL 16k spool
September 08, 2011, 06:54:40 PM
Samuel I have the same problem with my SOM NL 16k spool, my clicker is dead!

I contacted the place the spool was bought and they advised me that the clicker needs replacing and that they will have them for sale shortly. It was also suggested that you can try bending the clicker wire back to shape but i don't know how effective that would be.

My northbridge ring is also the screw-less type and i am not all that confident taking it apart either, for now id just fish the spool clicker-less as it doesn't effect the spools fishability....just doesn't sound as cool!

Luke Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 09, 2011, 12:15:02 PM
I had the same problem with mine, It was very simple to replace. I just ordered a new wire "clicker" from randy and JDM tackle and popped the new one in without a drama. I think that part was worth about $8

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 10, 2011, 11:47:32 AM
Man, dats just....not cool...for a premium item to have dat one little dodgy part is like having a ferrari dats missing one tiny screw. Won't make much difference but it still sucks. Anyway guess I can try to have it replaced. Thanx for sharing. Any other suggestions would b awesome.

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 07:05:57 PM

So this is a little late but now I'm trying to figure out how to unlock this northbridge ring to access the drag clicker? I've read some members manage to unscrew it by hand, but all I got was scratched up fingertips. Seriously, how do you get this thing off ?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 07:51:04 PM
It can be loosened with a simple turning motion (it is a screw fix). If you cannot loosen it with your hand (try covering your hand with a cloth), then use something as a gentle lever laying it across the diameter of the so-called Northbridge and turning anti-clockwise.  It should loosen quite easily.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 08:56:25 PM
Enoch Li posted a magnificent run down of how to strip a SOM No Limits 16000 spool a while ago here: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=2412.0

The only difference with the newer spools is that the northbridge is released by turning anti-clockwise as I described above - no more screws.

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 09:44:54 PM
Have tried dat but for one thing, it's mighty awkward getting my hands in there. And secondly, that thing is tight as heck! Tried using a steel ruler for lever, but it ended up bent and it left a lil' chip mark on the ring, *sob*.  Any other ways?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 10:59:17 PM
hmmm.. well that is they to open the bottom section of the drag.  Sounds like your is well and truly stuck, possible from salt residue.

It might be OK to use a loosening agent like WD40 but I would not be 100% sure that it will not effect the coatings.

Maybe best to take it to a tackle store if it is so tight.