Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader Setup For Stickbaits
January 30, 2012, 09:50:43 PM
its almost like a version of the albright

most albrights in heavy line rattle through the guides quite a lot (and if the mono used is too hard they are prone to fracturing after being continually cast) - probably better to retie it after each day I would say

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 09:58:15 PM
I tried this method at first and had failures at the split ring.  The contact area is to sharp (--- vs . ) leading to failure in the mono at the end points.  I think you could get away with it if you changed the line often.  Personally I went with solid ring split ring.

Thank you. Do you think thimble can help and protect the line?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 10:04:28 PM
Dmitrii, I would be really nervous about tying any line to a split ring and I am wondering why you want to do this?

I guess a thimble would help but I would still always be nervous about the line being cut by the split ring.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 10:10:16 PM
If the lure doesn't roll, the gamma wouldn't have that sharp slashing action. When you have a direct connection, the action is sharper as you have a more direct connection to the lure so when you pull on it, it reacts directly. When you have a swivel, the lure will be permitted to continue to roll a bit more than if you have a direct connection.

That is a really detailed and clear answer to the question about swivel. Thank you.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 10:25:33 PM
unless I've got it wrong, there is no loop knot per se. It's just a loop.

Nope, you've got it right Brandon :)  I can't see the knot failing when tied properly, there is just no way it could pull through.  I like it as another option to friction knots and am yet to have any issues casting it.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 10:31:12 PM
no, it won't slip if tied and tightened properly. I know - I think I gave myself a hernia trying to break it!  ;D!

unless I've got it wrong, there is no loop knot per se. It's just a loop.

Nope, you've got it right Brandon :)  I can't see the knot failing when tied properly, there is just no way it could pull through.  I like it as another option to friction knots and am yet to have any issues casting it.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 10:35:40 PM
Mark,
I really do not want to do this  :) just thinking of options to avoid using swivel with a stickbait, try something new. Sometimes I am too lazy to retie it by hand every time I want to change the lure... and somehow I do not like option with a solid ring and split ring just from aesthetic point of veiw...

Kamalu Charlot

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 05:16:11 AM
Mark,
I really do not want to do this  :) just thinking of options to avoid using swivel with a stickbait, try something new. Sometimes I am too lazy to retie it by hand every time I want to change the lure... and somehow I do not like option with a solid ring and split ring just from aesthetic point of veiw...
I was after the same thing ease of change out and hated the hardware upfront.  I tried everything I could think of and every combo of knots and loops with every sort of protection and it came down to the same thing sharp edges and bends lead to mono failure.  After losing a big GT a few feet in front of me I felt it was no longer worth the suffering.  I can notice a difference in lure performance depending on how much junk is up front but in the end the solid ring to split ring is the best for lazy guys like me.  ;)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 09:34:47 PM
Hi Travis,

If it works for you that is great and all that matters, you must have it mastered. I used to use a similar knot some time back but found it's contact with the guides taking the distance off the cast and sounding terrible. Never did any damage to my seven seas GT80Ti which was bullet proof but I don't think I'd like it clanging through my carp guides these days. I am still a bit clumsy with the friction knots but have found they are well worth the practice.

Hi Andy and Kurt - here's a little write up i did of the knot I'm talking about.  Yeah Andy the tag is pointing back to the rod tip, I've never had it get hung up though.

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3565.msg30395#msg30395
Set the ray to GeeT

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 09:44:01 PM
Oh dont worry Andy, youre not the only dubious one- i think im yet to convince a single person to use it ;) :) I dont mind though, i like it, trust it and will continue with it :)

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 31, 2012, 09:51:44 PM
Thank you, Kamalu
I think I should stop at solid ring + split ring set up, or just be patient enough for retying...