Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what's the Best Braid
December 30, 2011, 11:42:52 PM
Looking to spool up my new Shimano saragosa 14000f reel with 65lb braid. Have used powerpro 50lb in the past. Is there anything better out there.

Mike_Tan

Re: what's the Best Braid
December 31, 2011, 12:55:43 AM
The new Sufix 832 is pretty decent.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 01:00:29 AM
You want a casting braid  I assume?

PowerPro would be a long way down my list.  Varivas GT Max PE6 (80 lb) is superb. Tufline 65lb is a much rougher but considerably cheaper and good alternative.

Steve Li

December 31, 2011, 01:28:09 AM
I've used the new PowerPro Slick recently and loved it! Not even one wind knot over 7 days of casting. My mates using other popular brands (not polite to mention which one) were not so lucky. If everything being equal with the type of knots, leader length, thickness etc ........ I have encountered far less occurrence of wind knots when using the PP Slick than other makes.  ;)

I have tried Varivas and YGK Ultra Cast amongst other premium lines but have given them all up after using the Slick. 

:D   

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 02:27:54 PM
guess the word 'best' is to each his own..

some prefer the powerpros, some prefer varivas/YGK/tuffline etc.. for me personally, i'd avoid it cause i've personally experienced (a few years ago) and seen the braid fail when a less-than-monster size fish is on, it just snapped! the varivas and tufflines have done their job for me thus far so i'm sticking to it..

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 03:33:27 PM
I think Robin is right and it is unexplained line failures that drive most preferences about braid. I shall say no more :) .

Jon Hsu

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 04:03:41 PM
Jerry Brown Hollow 60lb.
Very soft.

Mark Whitaker

January 01, 2012, 10:35:28 AM
Have a look at:

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

Very complete data on most braids.

Happy New Year to all.

Mark

Bradley Chard

January 01, 2012, 12:03:29 PM
I have to agree with Jon Hsu, I have 100lb Jerry Brown hollow braid on my Stella 18000, it casts like a dream and has never let me down, yet!
I like the FG knot but with this braid being hollow you can get a special needle to splice a loop in the end so you don't have any knots where your leader is attached.
The Stella also holds 370m, but normally only holds 300m of normal 80lb braid I'm pretty sure.

Peter Heinke

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2012, 04:17:57 PM
sunline castaway goes pretty well

Kenny Koh Kee Koong

• Fusilier
  • My job is to pop for GT.!
  • Liked:
January 02, 2012, 09:24:28 PM
Castman X8 PE8 have my vote here
The price is right, cast a mile, have not failed me so far.
Fishing n cycling is my life.I dream of venturing to new places for fishing spots n cycling Trails.This passion will follow me forever. Even when i'm old,the rod shall thus be my walking stick n my bicycle shall be my transportation.One life.Live it!