Brett Warren

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Honeymoon suggestions!!!
January 03, 2012, 05:23:07 PM
I have been given the task of planning our honeymoon and the only must have for the other half is cocktails,  a pool and out of Australia. Please can I get some suggestions of where I am going to find the best day trips. Hoping to mostly target gts but if there was an opportuniy for dogtooth then all the better.  I have limited experience but have a decent setup with a smith 80p/35 and a Stella 20k SW. Limited to day trips only for obvious reasons. Will be flying out of Adelaide.

Cheers brett
Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:40:46 PM by Brett Warren

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Honeymoon suggestions!!!
January 03, 2012, 07:32:48 PM
How about Fiji? Look up Mango Bay. New Cal might suit also.

Chris

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 07:51:39 PM
Day Trips? your a brave man ,I would leave them till you get to the end of your honeymoon throw her up in the air as much as you can shell be glad for the break.New caledonia for mine But this is a big but make sure she has somewhere to go shopping.Shell be happy to see you sneak out at 4.30 in the morning.Beware a new wife on a honeymoon doesnt matter how long youve been together this is her honeymoon.
Then again you could push her to the extreme and disapere for a few days , may as well get the worst you can offer set in stone.
Me I would plan a bucksweek go north charter a boat with your mates and fish hard. Just my thoughts

Ryan Robinson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 09:05:13 PM
Hi Brett,

I have just booked a trip to fiji in may with the mrs and little one that sounds like what you after.

We have booked 5 nights at mango bay with 3 days fishing (thats all she would let me), 5 nights at the sofitel on denarau for lounging around the pool, fiji bitter for me and cocktails for her, and finish it off with 3 nights on malolo where i plan on doing some light tackle fishing if possible.

The day trips from mango bay are fishing with two fijian guys who i think are doing the charters for ocean blue. a couple of the members on here have fished with them and have put up reports.

Good luck

Robbo

Jon Hsu

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 09:04:49 AM
Good topic. I just got married and plan to set up late honeymoon in April.
Possibly Maldives. I will be keeping track of this thread for possible ideas!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 11:26:00 AM
OK, fishing + honeymoon....
Plenty of factors to throw into the hat. 

For the honeymoon - budget, wife, location, resort category (3 star or 5 star), other activities shopping nightlife restaurants etc.
For the fishing, type of fishing, time of year, fishing duration, sole charter or shared.

Anywhere in the pacific or Bali has options.

Bali is lush - I'd consider this high up on the list as it's great value for money plus they do hospitality, food, shopping and service generally better than the Pacific standard.  (this is a gross generalisation - always exceptions...)  but Bali really does have some resorts, bars, restaurants and clubs that a truly world class. Some v.good GT fishing but only a few operators worth looking at, speak to Mark Harris on this forum and the other members who fish this area and they can advise where to base yourself for the best fishing access.

Fiji
1st I'd suggest Ono island off Kadavu, we (Ocean Blue Fishing) do a couples getaway with a few days fishing, snorkelling, massages, great food, island picnics. But there is no pool.
[/b]Mango Bay[/b] on the mainland is younger, hip and vibrant. Danny the owner is excellent and Johnny, Freddy and Mikey are awesome fishing crew onboard.
Offshore islands Yasawa's, Manamucas are your typical white sand beaches & good weather.  The resorts range from poor to extravagant. If your budget allows look at the boutique ones like Tokoriki etc. Pretty much all will have a boat that you can fish / dive from. Generally fishing is bottom fishing or trolling.
Vanua Levu also has a few great options nearer the Great Sea Reef which you should consider, bugger to get to but a lot less frequented than the very popular West Coast islands. Jean Michel Cousteau resort is on my to visit list (great family option)
Denarau - a peninsular 10 min from Nadi (the rainy side of Vitu Levu). more touristy, big resorts, golf courses. Fiji has 330 islands, what a shame to never leave Denarau...

Vanuatu
Plenty of other options in Vanuatu, Santo and Efate, Port Vila etc.
Vanuatu is traditionally gamefish trolling but has good sportfishing if you do your research re charters.
Good thing is you can stay anywhere in Port Vila and still get out for a day fish. Resort options include Eratap, Erakor or Iririki in Vila or The Havannah, Tamanu out of town which are both excellent.
Run it by the missus and get a few votes.
Look also at Ratua island Vanuatu, for serious fishing you need to book the gameboat min 4 days to bring it up from Vila.  I've been there and it is incredible.

New Caledonia
Isle of Pines
- paradise, but no boats for fishing, way too hard.
Loyalty Islands way off the radar for Aussies, would help if you speak french.
Noumea, take all your credit cards, it's excy, and French.
Grand Terre, a few possibilities but not too many outside of Noumea. Poindimie (east), Kanua(south), Bourail (west), Malabou or Poingam (north).
Arranging a skipper is the main thing here, would need to discuss in more detail.

That's a bit of overview, plenty of other options in the Indian Ocean, Pacific (Cooks - Aututaki) Tahiti, even Tonga or Samoa but I dont know too much about these.

Maybe you need 4 honeymoons?

Cheer David
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:28:37 PM by David Noble

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 11:48:24 AM
Excellent run-down from David there.

Bali is one of the honeymoon (and wedding) capitals of the world and many hotels and private villas are very geared up for that. It would work well for your purposes due to the world-class standard of activities for your wife - eg Spa treatments, cultural experiences and shopping - while the fishing is all easy day trip stuff.

Maldives would have to be another option worth investigating. Excellent fishing quantity-wise and the place speaks for itself as a honeymoon destination.

Brett Warren

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 07, 2012, 10:14:34 AM
thanks for the great replys    looks like i have plenty of research to do  fishing and honeymooning, it may just work !! :P