Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Small boat GT fishing in Mackay
August 19, 2012, 07:44:22 AM
HO NIIICE one Andrew, and solo mission too, you the man!!!

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 07:55:51 AM
Andy, I am not sure who would cater properly for GT fishing here, apart from Nomad when they have their mothership moored here.  I would have thought the trip north to Mission Beach/Cairns/Cooktown would have far better GT locations for the Townsvillians!  I will definitely be doing a week long road trip up that way one day.  The wind here is so annoying that planning anything ahead can be very much a lottery  >:(

Nathan, I am give you some more proof that I am not such a gumby  ;)  after this next lot of stickbaits I am painting up, I will make a couple for you and Charles  8)
Focus on the pop

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 05:58:24 AM
Andrew nice fish! Haven't fish with a electric trolling motor in a long time definitely helpful if your by yourself I've always wondered how effective they would be when on a big fish?  Anyhow my fishing spot is too dangerous too be out there by yourself unless its dead calm and even then i think id pass. Hopefully we'll be posting more pics from Hawaii were switching boats and sea trials start tomorrow lol.

Keep the pics coming

Aloha
GT FIGHT CLUB

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 08:07:35 AM
Nice fish Andrew,
I know how tough it gets single handed from a small boat....and on one of your own lures!
Doesn't get any better. Well done

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 09:30:44 PM
Nice fish Andrew. I was wondering how you went. I saw your boat tied to the pontoon at the ramp when I was putting mine in on Saturday. How thick was that fog!

Unfortunately I didn't end up having a pop. I went out to the reef and got a feed. I planned to hit some points for GTs while I was there but it didn't eventuate.

A couple of mates of mine popped around a few of the islands and got a couple of decent GTs in. Good to see the fish have woken up and gone from nothing to something in recent weeks. Pretty keen for it to warm up a bit more so they start firing again.
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 23, 2012, 11:15:01 AM
Swell and wind were a bit ordinary yesterday morning but a mate and I persisted through the crap, to one of our better spots.  Another 2 mates went out with us in a new boat - I got some good action shots of them.

It took a fair amount of work but I finally raised a small GT, only to have 2 more materialise from the depths in a pursuit for the popping prize.   Phil had his lure out near mine and luckily for him, the pack leader took a liking to it and smashed the crap out of it, right in front of us.

Phil had to use all of his 92kg to get leverage on the fish, it was quite fun to watch.  The gimbal didn't fit him so he did it the hard way  ;D  After about 4 or 5 mins he had his first big GT in the boat, and was stoked.

The lure was jammed sideways inside it's mouth, and was quite destroyed!  Everything still hung together though  8)  Good times.

Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:38:57 PM by Andrew Susani
Focus on the pop

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 23, 2012, 03:20:55 PM
Those action shots look great! Love the way the water looks...

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 23, 2012, 03:39:56 PM
Thanks Jay, things are really getting warm here, I expect the fishing will pick up a bit too  ;)  There was a bit of an upload problem with that first pic, all fixed now  8)
Focus on the pop

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
September 24, 2012, 06:04:14 PM
Nice pics Andrew, that lure looks ready for retirement!
GT FIGHT CLUB

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 25, 2012, 02:39:51 AM
Was that one of your Poppers Andrew?  if so that's a great catch, and good testament to the strength of it! - otherwise still a great catch!! haha congrats

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 25, 2012, 08:25:05 PM
No Matt, not one of my poppers... I am still waiting on a mate to sort out a lathe so we can pump out a few... when we do I hope they will last a little longer than this one  ;)
Focus on the pop

troy roberts

June 02, 2013, 07:05:29 PM
Hees a gt i scored 2 weeks ago after many bustoffs and not knowing what was doing it 22kgs 30lb line soft plastic loomis 844 and 4000 twinpower big fight and a lot of luck

22kgs

Ali Saadi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 05:10:07 PM
Great report and nice photos!