Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
electrolosis
January 06, 2012, 05:21:17 PM
I recently bought some second hand lures ,all very good quality, with solid reputations for the product.I was rigging split rings to a skipjack 150 when the through body wire snapped clean right where the swivel sits in the body.
The lure is in as new condition bar a few minor marks.On inspecting the wire there is clear evidence of electrolosis pitting on the stainless wire up three centimeters from the break , the break certainly the effects of electrolosis.
I have had a lot of experience in metalurgy and in particular stainless steel so this was of interest to me as this is serious wire.
My thoughts are that the lure was perhaps used as a teaser and trolled for some time a long time!!!.I cant see a year of casting  causing this sort of reaction.Ive worked extensively guiding on boats in the tropics and never had a lure look like this other than those towed behind boats .
Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience like this with there lures . For those who do troll poppers as teasers a squirt of lanolin oil mixed with fish oil would go a long way to preserving the through wire. No reflection on the quality of the lure here or its manufacture .Thanks Gary

Ben Crarer

Re: electrolosis
January 06, 2012, 06:11:15 PM
Pretty sure the lure manufacturer / distributor would replace it if its in good nick, that shouldn't happen  ???

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 06, 2012, 06:33:30 PM
Gary, Bad luck mate.

If you are looking to have it repaired, get in contact with Chris Young at fullscale lures. He'll sort it out.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2012, 07:37:52 PM
Pretty sure the lure manufacturer / distributor would replace it if its in good nick, that shouldn't happen  ???

If it has been used for a purpose it was not designed for, then I doubt they would. I suspect Gary is right with the trolling explanation.  My experience with all Heru lures has been that the wiring is truly excellent for a budget-priced popper.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 06, 2012, 09:13:47 PM
Hey Gary,

Here's a "how to" I did for those who want to replace the wire themselves...

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=4239.msg36036#msg36036

May help you fix up your skip jack.  8)