Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging Master monster 16000 spool
August 09, 2011, 02:55:09 PM
Anyone have any info on these new 16000 spools for the 08 8000/10000sw? Wonder how they compare to the SOM spools. Definitely, more reasonably priced. They are also coming out with handles that look like action...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Jigging Master monster 16000 spool
August 09, 2011, 03:15:27 PM
My thoughts on aftermarket spools was that when it comes to Shimano reels, it's primarily the capacity that one would want to increase as opposed to a drag system that is already pretty superlative on the Stella. Is there any information regarding capacity as opposed to some ridiculously high and probably impractical "monster drag setting"? I believe I saw it mentioned somewhere as 35kg...quite simply, the Stella 10000SW was never built to deal with anywhere near that kind of pressure.

The reel itself was designed for use with PE3-PE6 and with an aftermarket spool such as SOM, PE8 to an extent. It balances extremely well with these class rods, any line class higher you tend to find the rod and reel become mismatched and unbalanced.

In comparison to SOM, I would imagine the quality wouldn't be in the same league. I guess one can only wait to see what they are like when they come out onto the market. Obviously, it sounds like they are priced accordingly - which is good for the consumer as not everyone can afford an SOM.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2011, 03:42:41 PM
At anything in the vicinity of 30 kg drag , the rotor arms would start to deform such as what happened with Mogi-san when fighting a big SBT a couple of years ago . The rotor arms were buckling in , they started to cratch the spool and causing the line to break in this case of fight .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 09, 2011, 03:48:48 PM
Good point on the emphasis on "monster drag" aspect of this spool. I concur that this is a moot point. Although, the max drag of 35kg is impressive...as you mentioned, the reel itself was not designed for that type of drag.

It does appear, however, that the line capacities are very similar: PE4-400m, PE6-320m, PE8-250m for the JM spool.

I guess I will have to give it a shot and report back. Thanks for the replies.

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 09, 2011, 03:50:06 PM
At anything in the vicinity of 30 kg drag , the rotor arms would start to deform such as what happened with Mogi-san when fighting a big SBT a couple of years ago . The rotor arms were buckling in , they started to cratch the spool and causing the line to break in this case of fight .

Jon .
Just wondering what size reel this was? Thanks...

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 09, 2011, 05:03:42 PM
30kg of drag I didn't think any spinning reel has a drag of 30kg I know alot claim this but do they I know my Stella 10000SW makes about half that at around 15-16kg of drag when on my fishing rod with full spool of line but Shimano says it has 20kg plus of max drag a little higher then what som 16000 claims but I'm sure the som no limits spool has a higher drag pressure then the Stella 10000SW so maybe JM 35kg of drag could be just a claim not a fact maybe I'm wrong I just don't see it possible ,what size drag washers and what material are they using to achieve 35kg of drag
Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:42:14 PM by vasko dimo

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2011, 05:31:41 PM
At this very moment Mogi-san is fishing in Prince Edward Island , Canada and he has abandoned the usage of spinning outfits for the tasks of bringing giant BFT , even Ken Matssura reel was having trouble to cope with the 28 kg initial drag setting required for this fishery . I heard rumours of failures on rods too . : ( .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2011, 08:31:12 PM
35kgs!?
Really?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 10, 2011, 12:26:38 AM
JM writes "Efficient drag: 18kg Maximum drag: 35kg". One may define "efficient drag" the way one feels like....  ;)
http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=299%3Ajigging-master-16000&catid=55%3Aaluminum&Itemid=118&lang=en

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 15, 2011, 07:00:49 PM
Like to see someone holding on to the rod with a fish on at the efficient 18kg drag setting.  ;D

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 26, 2011, 04:50:47 PM
Does anyone have a price estimate on these spools. I have an SOM 16000 spool that was around $ 220US. I am a firm believer in having extra spools when on a trip with the result that these spools could be a pleasant surprise.

Many thanks
Anton

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 26, 2011, 05:35:09 PM
msrp $188 usd, according to JM's website.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
August 26, 2011, 07:11:53 PM
Does anyone have a price estimate on these spools. I have an SOM 16000 spool that was around $ 220US. I am a firm believer in having extra spools when on a trip with the result that these spools could be a pleasant surprise.

Many thanks
Anton

Haakies - We should have stock in the next few weeks, waiting on our order.... we getting 10 spools and 10 handle arms in for a start, see how they go.... we should have them for around the same price as on JM's site, or a little less.... depending on the exchange...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 28, 2011, 12:50:33 AM
Thanks Mate - I saw the note from Roy but he was still unsure about pricing. It will be interesting to give them a test. At the price these could be a wonderful chance to be able to that spool into play that you often need but never have - either heavier or lighter.

Robert Balkow

January 17, 2012, 05:29:29 AM
Any news about these JM Monster Spools lately?
Would be interesting to know if they are worth a try or not!

Thanks

Robert