Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Exmouth trip December!
December 26, 2011, 02:34:40 PM
After spending 5 days in Exmouth in April this year I was determined to get up there again before 2011 was finished. I made the most of my Uni holidays, cheap Qantas fares, and having a family member living up there (Free accommodation). 10 days were booked with Eddy from peak sportsfishing and I was just banking on the weather, considering it is cyclone season up there. The plan was to spend a few days chasing GT's, a few chasing marlin/sails and when we couldn't get out in the blue water we would hit up the protected waters of the exmouth Gulf.

Day one and two consisted of a very very solid GT bite on stickbaits and poppers. We had a number of oppurtunities to catch fish over 30kg, but the biggest we could manage was around the 26-27kg mark. On the first day we reached the Murion islands about 2 hours before the high tide, and we were planning on working the waters close to the island where there was a bit of swell and current. The first 7-8 casts resulted in a number of fish coming up and slamming the lures, however we only managed to hook one of these fish which was a nice 12kg model. We proceeded to see alot of fish around the size but we couldn't pin the hooks. Then we spotted a larger fish cruising down the back of wave. I cast my stickbait to within 6-8m of the direction the fish was moving, and he flared his pecs and procedded to slam my offering. We estimated this fish to be around the 30kg mark, and after he rattled 20m of line from me, I pulled the hooks. We continued to work along the back of the waves and the shoreline, where we managed to land a number of fish around the 8-13kg mark. At some stages there were swarms of fish (10-15) smashing our stickbaits and poppers. We continued to work along and land a number of different species including: brassy trevally, golden trevally, spangled emporer and flowery cod. Then we spotted a school of GT's holding on a sand bank, where there was some current moving around. I cast my stickbait to within the region of the fish, and with one twitch I had some very very solid fish fighting to eat my lure. I finally dug the hooks into one and after a solid fight I landed my PB GT of around the 26-27kg mark. Saying I was over the moon would be an under statement.

After fishing the islands we made the move and begun to pop the deep water to try and coax something bigger into eating our lures. At one stage we had two very very solid fish come up and slam my cousin's popper, both these fish were estimated in the high 30kg bracket but again we couldn't sink the hooks into either of them. Eddy was busy spotting Fusie balls in the deep water, when he yelled out that there were some seriously frightened baitfish straight in front of the boat. Both me and my cousin cast out, we both hooked up straight away. We pulled the hooks on the GT but I managed to land a 10kg Spanish mackeral on a stickbait. Eddy couldn't help himself and jumped down from the Tuna tower and landed a popper in the middle of the Fusie ball! His second cast for the day netted a solid GT around 15kg.

The first day we ended up landed 14 fish with the largest being the 26-27kg fish, and the second day we landed 11 fish up to 23kg. With the average size fish being around the 12-14kg mark. We caught a number of 6-8kg fish on lighter gear aswell. We had at 10 hits from fish over 30kg which was truely incredible, and we only managed to sink the hooks into 2 fish, one of which dusted me in the reef, while the hooks were pulled on the other fish. There are definatly some solid fish up there!! Here are the results from the first few days fishing.

We only managed to get 2 days GT fishing, but I also spent 2 days light tackle down the gulf and two days blue marlin fishing. One of the blue marlin days we managed two fish at 600lb and 400lb so it was a truely remarkable day. I wont go into too much detail about the marlin fishing but I'll throw a few pics up nonetheless. The light tackle stuff in the Gulf was good fun with a us catching a number of Goldens, brassys, small gt's, mangrove jack and queenfish! Again, I can't recommend Eddy enough. He has made this another epic trip. Do yourself a favour and get up there and get amongst some Ningaloo G's. Thanks for reading guys.

Thanks again for reading. Cheers Clay 8)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Exmouth trip December!
December 26, 2011, 02:43:46 PM
Really nice report Clay and very well done. As well as the fish, some excellent photography there.

Every report I read involving Peak Sportfishing seems to be very positive. These guys seem to be top notch operators.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 26, 2011, 10:36:43 PM
That was a great read,great photos and very nice report.

Pete

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 27, 2011, 12:57:25 AM
Fantastic trip , marlin , GT , Grouper and other species !

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 27, 2011, 01:29:11 AM
Really nice report Clay and very well done. As well as the fish, some excellent photography there.

Every report I read involving Peak Sportfishing seems to be very positive. These guys seem to be top notch operators.

Thanks mate!

I can't recommend Eddy high enough. I have honestly never seen someone get so excited about someone else catching a fis, and his contender is an excellent sport fishing vessel. The best thing about the whole of exmouth is it is still a relatively untapped GT resource. There are alot of ledges and deeper bommies that don't see many lures. Eddy is making 30kg fish more and more common. It's an exciting place.

Thanks for the comments guys  ;D

Jamie Moir

December 27, 2011, 11:52:40 AM
Eddie seems to have a great rep and seems very friendly on the phone, I've had the good fortune to chat with him a couple of times, and seen his boat out off exmouth as well.

Kenny Koh Kee Koong

• Fusilier
  • My job is to pop for GT.!
  • Liked:
January 02, 2012, 09:57:14 PM
The marlin photo looks wicked.!
Love to hook and land a marlin soon!!
The GT actions looks crazy too!!
Fishing n cycling is my life.I dream of venturing to new places for fishing spots n cycling Trails.This passion will follow me forever. Even when i'm old,the rod shall thus be my walking stick n my bicycle shall be my transportation.One life.Live it!

Ryan Robinson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 06:54:52 AM
Sounds like an awesome trip Clay. I have always wanted to get to Exmouth, your last couple of reports have just made me even keener.

Great photos. If you dony mind me asking, what camera were you using?

Robbo

Steve Li

January 04, 2012, 02:53:24 AM
Nice!!! I am planning a trip there soon!!! Heard the best window is from Dec to May...... Anyone tried popping there between June and Oct?  :)

Jamie Moir

January 06, 2012, 10:52:46 AM
Eddy doesn't just do GTs!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 06, 2012, 02:54:13 PM
some big fish there mate well done

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2012, 03:52:07 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip Clay. I have always wanted to get to Exmouth, your last couple of reports have just made me even keener.

Great photos. If you dony mind me asking, what camera were you using?

Robbo

Some of the shots were taken with an olympus compact camera, don't even know what model. But the marlin jump shots were taken with a Nikon D50 with a Tamron lens.

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2012, 03:59:24 PM
Nice!!! I am planning a trip there soon!!! Heard the best window is from Dec to May...... Anyone tried popping there between June and Oct?  :)

There are GT's there all year round. From the look of Peak sportsfishing monthly photo albums June and July were resonable months for the GT's. I know Oct and November is when they start to fire because of the warmer currents.

Steve Li

January 06, 2012, 06:46:11 PM

There are GT's there all year round. From the look of Peak sportsfishing monthly photo albums June and July were resonable months for the GT's. I know Oct and November is when they start to fire because of the warmer currents.

Thanks mate!!!  :)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 07, 2012, 01:53:02 PM
As Clay already mentioned the GT's are there all year round although the warmer months are certainly when they are a bit more active. During the winter months it can be difficult to fish due to large swells. We fished last year in March from a private boat and enjoyed glassy calm seas and low swells, biggest GT was around 40kg.