Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fiji West Coast - any recommendations???
December 20, 2011, 01:43:00 PM
Hey Folks, I'm planning a trip to Fiji next year to keep the missus happy (she'll be coming long that is.....not sending me away!).  Headed to Lomani resort (near Plantation resort) straight out from Nadi.

I've fished the SE coast Ono / Kedavu, but looking for a recommendation for a boat / guide to service the West side out from Nadi.

Prefer a small boat operator for 1 or 2 person charter, someone who knows GT's (not a ground baiter) , happy to take my own gear, on a day trip basis (I'll probably be doing well to score 2 days on the water).

Has anybody had any similar experience?  Any recommendations......? 

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Fiji West Coast - any recommendations???
December 20, 2011, 02:40:09 PM
Hi Peter,

I've visited this area a handful of times, last trip was 12 months ago.  I'd have thought you'd stay at Musket Cove, a great yachtie scene..
Jim Siers in on the West Coast on Vitu Levu, he'd have the best name out of this area.
There are a number of charters running out of Denarau catering to tourists. Expect a lot of fishing activities, boat traffic, travel time involved in this area.

I have heard of one Fijian Indian skipper- Bobby who is a gun GT guide however, we spoke years ago.  I will try and dig out his details.

Cheers David

Nick Darling

• Past Sponsor
  • Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 21, 2011, 01:29:06 PM
Hi Peter,

I live up in the west but much further north in Rakiraki at Volivoli Beach Resort. There are not many specilaised GT fishermen in that area of the Mamanuca's. You could try Adrenaline, Mamanuca Express or there may be operatros at Plantation??

If you have time head up our way and we can look after you at Volivoli

Cheers

Nick

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 21, 2011, 01:39:48 PM
Thanks David, thanks Nick, I will follow up on your leads.

I'll keep you in mind Nick, if I get to travel a little further north.

Cheers

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 23, 2011, 01:25:49 PM
Head down to Volivoli or the waters around there. The Mamanuca group where you re heading to is for the most part a waste of time for big GTs.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 09:25:15 PM
Ok dudes, change of plan.  Looks like we are headed to the North coast off the island of Tavenui to a place called Matangi Island Resort.

The brochure says they have a couple of boats available and are happy to pop for GT's (in amongst a few other options), I'm not sure they are expecting a forum member though!  Apparantly the fly fishing in the lagoon is supposed to be OK too!  Sounds good for the rest days.

Any leads on who else might be able to service this area for some more concerted popping effort? Sorry for the change of address.
Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:03:53 AM by Peter Childs

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 11, 2012, 10:08:44 AM
G'day Peter

We went to Taveuni back in 2008 for our first GT trip.

Have a look at the link if you have not already found it
http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=718.msg7388#msg7388

We stayed at Makaira, think its just down the road from the resort you mentioned
http://www.fijibeachfrontatmakaira.com/

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2012, 10:54:22 AM
Pete,

Thats all you need over there.
As long as the locals can take you out and there are boats you are in business.

I went to Tavenui back in 2008 and stayed at Paradise resort.
They were by no means set up for fishing.
I simply asked them to take me to the reefs and let me pop.
The reefs over there are extremely healthy and the variety of fish on offer is the biggest attraction.

You know what you are looking for so all you need do is instruct the skipper a little.

The only really experienced skipper over there is John Lehane who is (not sure if still there) at Makaira.He is a very experienced angler originally from Hawaii.

Pete
Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:57:24 AM by Peter Morris

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2012, 11:07:08 AM
Thanks Pete, I appreciate your comments, I might have a closer look at the boats they are reported to have access to, and make sure they are not "down for maintenance" if you know what I mean!

Thanks Tony, I forgot about that report, we'll definitely have to catch up now!  Tell me when the kings are biting and I'll take you for a spin on the new rig!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2012, 11:21:56 AM
Pete,

Remember also to take ALL your own gear over there.
I know you would be doing this anyway but remeber all the little things even down to pliers for de-hooking fish etc.
Some of the resorts arent the best equipped for fishing.

Pete

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2012, 11:32:00 AM
Pete, sounds like good advice - full kit it is.  The resort is only small, about 15 rooms and it looks like the 25 footer they have available is used for all social activities.

I'm thinking I might have to take 3 of 4 complete popping outfits and deputise some of the other resort guests in order to form a 'voting block', to ensure the boat is not redirected to some other mundane (non fishing) purpose.

I'd hate to be left sitting on the beach whilst the resort boat ferries honey mooners around to some bloody heart shaped attoll on the other side of the island for a booze cruise - if you know what I mean!

Ben Crarer

January 11, 2012, 05:03:57 PM
A mate of mine helps run a resort that his dad owns, Not sure if it is anywhere near where your going, but he is worth talking to, he is a gun fisherman of all styles and loves to pop for GT's! and dose pretty good!

Pretty sure they operate charters etc and do pretty well in the IGA comps too.

I am booking a trip over there next year, cant wait!

You can look the resort up here http://www.robinsoncrusoeislandfiji.com/?gclid=CKbX4Kqkx60CFQZLpgodtW7RiA

If your interested in talking to him let me know, not sure if your in Australia? he is here on holiday if you wanted to talk to him.

Ben

Nick Darling

• Past Sponsor
  • Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 12, 2012, 07:49:34 PM
Hey guys,

Ben Unfortunately Robinson Crusoes is down past nadi on Viti Levu which is at the opposite end of the country.

Peter make sure you have a few big stick baits in your arsenal as they work extremely well during morning sessions and choppy weather, Well do around my way which has very similar structure,waters, currents etc so should work up in Taviuni to...

P.S what time of year are you going? June july August can be a bit windy up there with the trades from the South East blowing

Cheers

Nick

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2012, 09:51:22 AM
Thanks Nick, will pack a couple of big stickbaits too.

Apparently the resort has a 25 foot centre console (it's looking more promising every day) and a 40 foot converted trawler - for when the weather really turns to custard!   

A bit of wind might help keep the Honey Mooners away from the boats - we are travelling in August, sooo it might be a bit of a lucky dip hey.

The resort owners seem pretty happy to accomodate the fishing I'm looking for and reckon there is some great popping and jigging in close proximity to the island.  They have recommended morning or afternoon sessions, would that be because of the wind or the heat?

We've booked the week leading up to a new moon in Mid August.

Here's a link for anyone who might be interested;

http://matangiisland.com/