Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PE8 Popping Rod Recommendations please
January 20, 2008, 09:48:12 AM
Thanks Brandon and Luke.
I was asking about the Fisherman rods for a friend of mine who is very heavily built (like 118kg at 5 ft 11) through some serious gym time. He feels that the GT86 and his Muramura are too soft. I will give him a run or two on my WV but he is of the opinion that we should look at different brands to get an idea of what the pros and cons of each may be. He fortunately has the bucks to shell out for the Fisherman so I will take your recommendations to him and post a report our experiences a couple of months down the line.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 20, 2008, 11:08:09 AM
For a bloke who is built like that Sachin, I think all the rods mentioned would be suitable. You could throw some of the really heavy offerings from Smith like the Komodo Dragon or Tokara and Seven Seas like the Armourclad  into the equation too or if you like, the new Gt rod from Shimano is a real beast as well. It really comes down to what kind of rod he is looking for. If he is looking for more of an all-purpose popping rod, the WV is pretty damn good. He may not think the WV is as strong as it actually is as its more progressive action tends to hide its backbone which is awesome. I have limited experience on Fisherman but their quality is unquestionable. The only way you will probably get to test a Fisherman though is to buy one.

If he is, however, looking for a pure popping rod for big chuggers, them IMHO, the Carpenter SP78UHL is the king. I have not seen another rod on the market that can get 200g poppers through the water like this rod. The compromise is that in the hands of most people, it will not cast as far as a WV.

As Luke wrote, it really is a matter of personal preference. The Fisherman and Seven Seas rods tend to be heavier than the Carpenters and Smiths. I know some people make a bit of an issue of why worry about 100g when your reel weighs 800- 900g but the difference is weight is often noticeable in the balance of the rod and that means something over a day or say six days!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 20, 2008, 03:35:26 PM
Ok guys a bit more info on what location and GT's I will be using the rod for. I will be fishing primarily Exmouth/Muiron Islands, Rosily Quay and the Monte Bello's. GT's to 35kg are common and have been landed but the true potential of the area is relatively untapped.

I was wondering if a Carpenter SP78H SHP would be suitable??

Where is it available?

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 20, 2008, 03:49:41 PM
Carpenter SP78H SHP ... would suit any big g,s  ::)
i not know much about carpenter but i like smith  ;D ;D kind of hooked to them  ;)

nomad sportfishing do sell carpenter rod  i guess they are the only one that sell carpenter rod in aust ...  give them a call to find out what is in stock .  or hit this for your info .

www.nomadsportfishing.com.au/nsa_tackle_store/nsa_tackle_shop_rods.htm

not forget you go to be fast cos the next order will be about 6 month away ...  it is based in brisbane ...

hope this help,s

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 21, 2008, 05:07:38 PM
Thanks Guys.
He seems to have his mind set on a Fisherman BG Jack so it's off to Plat or Anglers Pro Shop next.
Appreciate all the advice.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 21, 2008, 05:44:37 PM
a Jack will be an order - wait six months!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 09, 2008, 08:27:11 AM
Managed to get a Monster 75 R10 off Anglers Pro Shop. They had got in one of in a selction of Fisherman so I guess my mate got lucky. Be interesting to see it with a decent fish on the other end. I will try and source a Carpenter SP 78 UHL for myself (still waiting for my Wild Violence to get to me).
What is the take out on the Zenaq rods from those of you that have them?