Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Single tail hook on Gammas
August 13, 2012, 04:29:31 PM
How much of the swimming action is altered if I use a single assist hook on the tail of gammas 120 thru 160?
On the Gamma 140, I have experimented with, belly and tail, respectively:

a)GT recorder 5/0 + Single Owner SJ 41#13/0

b)SJ 41 13/0 + SJ 41 13/0

c)Per Recommended, GT recorder 5/0 for both

I found that option (a) has very little difference to (c) in the swim action of the lure, however I am also aware that my tests were in fresh water and flat surface - will additional buoyancy in Salt water and less than absolute calm condition accentuate any difference between option (a) and (c)?

I also noticed Baker rigs on the belly reduces the darting action - so that's out.

Why? my preference is fish 2 singles BUT to save the swim action I have gone with the recommended treble for the belly, before I experiment with different combination of hooks for the Gamma 120 & 160, would like to hear inputs from others.

Cheers

Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:41:03 PM by BenYeo

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Single tail hook on Gammas
August 13, 2012, 11:32:53 PM
I think this is an issue with any of the more subtle surface stickbaits, not just Gammas.

Basically my advice would be to stick with trebles for belly and tail. Anything else tends to unbalance the lure. They were after all designed to swim with trebles attached.

If you absolutely must use a single then your option a) (treble belly, single tail) will prboably tend to work best.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 14, 2012, 06:12:52 AM
In my opinion, the gamma is a lure that clearly works better with trebles.
More than any other type of lure, I dislike using this lure with the single/baker combination. I have found that the hook-up rate in particular is lower with this rig and I suspect it is because of the rolling action of the gamma which results in the Baker rig sitting on the side of the lure reducing the hook exposure.

As Mark wrote, I don't think the single at the back has as much impact.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
August 14, 2012, 07:36:44 PM
Thanks Mark/Brandon,

Yes the action with a trebled belly/single tail is very similar to twin trebles.

Cheers