Nicholas Moore

PE6 Jigging Reel - Shallow Water
June 14, 2011, 10:59:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted many times but been Popping for Gts for awhile now, looking for some quality advice on a dedicated PE6 jigging reel. I Have a Stella 18k for my PE8 popping etc. Good reel does the job really well. I have jigged with it, but it seems to bulky and cumbersome for PE6 and not so fun pulling fish off the bottom.. and getting really over swapping it between rods.

Recently we been doing a lot of jigging when our better surface spots are shutdown, or the fish are holding deeper. We generally only jigging in water to 50m at the most.
With most fish coming between 35 and 25m of water, I am looking for a universal PE6 jigging reel for jigs and Bucktails from 120g to 250g - But that could potentially do a WA / NZ kings trip or two in the distant future. But I like to think deep water / bigger jigs will be the 20% of the 80%

My thoughts at the Moment:
Stella 10k - provides speed that the Spanish Love - could back as a stickbait reel - b%^ch to pull big fish off the Bottom :o when dealing with 6m tides? Does anyone Jig with This reel.
Stella 8kpg - more suited to Jigging - but is it to small (likewise with daiwa 4500 size) for PE6 / and good solid GT's on a regular basis?
Saltiga 2010 5000 - Slower speed - very new reel so dont know the Rap on this baby?

Any thoughts on your PE6 outfits etc or suggestions on your PE6 Reels of choice? I dont mind brand but would just like the best fit for purpose PE6 80% Shallow 20% Deep water reel?

Tight Lines

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PE6 Jigging Reel - Shallow Water
June 15, 2011, 01:35:27 PM
Nicholas,

You are close to the money with your short list, my only advice is to swap the spools on the Shimano's you mention.  A HG 10000/8000 body using an 8000 spool should work well for you in the shallow water, the 8000 spool will hold enough PE6 for shallow work.  Alternatively, go the PG 10000/8000 body with a 10000 spool, slightly slower on the retreive ratio (more traditional jigging ratio) and an absolute stump puller to boot.

I use both outfits as described above (only difference is I run PE5 on the 8000 spool).  I tend to reach for the HG for smaller fish in shallower water (up to 80 - 90m), particularly when working a smaller and faster jig.  I go for the PG in the deeper water with larger fish and/or heavier jigs.

If you are going to stay in the shallower water the HG option will be more versatile giving you a lighter popping reel when you don't need the real heavy gear.  Further, there are a range of spools (both aftermarket and OEM) in the 8000, 10000, 12000 and 16000 sizes which you can use on both reels to customise retreive rate, line capacity / weight. 

Happy jiggin!

Josh Morrison

June 15, 2011, 07:06:32 PM
I use a Stella SW10000PG for my PE6 setup, it holds around 230-250m from memory.

Nicholas Moore

June 15, 2011, 10:22:22 PM
Thanks for the responses..
Swapping spools to adjust line retrieve rates and increase capacity is certainly an option.
If I do go the 8k i wil be certainly looking into a 10k spool, perhaps som or equivalent.
At this stage I'm leaning towards the 10k but that saltiga has an irresistible appeal. Maybe looks!

Josh, I assume the 10k PG is a jdm?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
June 15, 2011, 10:27:05 PM
Nicholas, you might want to check the aftermarket price of the new Saltiga spools compared to the Shimano spools.....that may influence your decision. 
For the record, my PG reel is a twinpower, more readily available than the stella in the lower gearing, it hasn't let me down to date!

Al Morrison

June 15, 2011, 11:11:19 PM
I've used a Saltiga 4500Z for PE 6 jigging in WA for Sambos, water depths up to about 120m. I use Catalina spare spools to cut costs a bit. certainly strong enough and handles sufficient drag. I also use that for PE 5 popping.

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 04:37:11 AM
Shimano Twin Power 8000PG,good price and strong drag(25 kg).  ;)

Nicholas Moore

June 16, 2011, 09:05:37 PM
Thanks all. Well, gotta get whatever it is Im getting soon. Weather is good n fish are waiting.
Thanks

Luke Anderson

August 16, 2011, 08:34:11 AM
I really rate the saltiga 4500(h) as a top all rounder - compact, light & solid enough to have never missed a beat. I have 2 of the 6500 saltigas & if i was pushed to chose only one i think it woulod have to be the 4500

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 25, 2011, 05:44:52 PM
stella 8000pg with a 16k som spool.  I got it and love jigging with this reel. Have jigged many big fish with this no problems.
When x meets y

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 26, 2011, 02:45:13 AM
Take a look at the Shimano Saragosa 10000f reel good drag and holds 400yds of 50lb powerpro braid see Shimano website,  north america as it's only available in the states but at $260us it could fit the bill.
Thy post worldwide.

Grant Zietsman

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 05, 2011, 04:59:30 PM
Nick,

mate....
I have heard you catch plenty fish!
so i am sure you know what to buy!

Daiwa is great and is full of bling, i have the 4500 maverick for shallow water in Mackay and I am pretty confident i'll catch anything on her...love it! she is great for the faster preferred retrieve for spanish - GT seem to love it too!

hint - you can buy this one as a gift for HER as it comes in nice colours that she will love!

in saying, the stella range, of which i have a few, are quite simply put - smoother!
I have got the 10 000 option and is epic for my PE6 Yamaga Atlas, it was my favourite set up on Nomad!

It really boils down to the jig you are wanting to fish
Rods work best and give best action when the perfect weighted jig is put on the end....
the action is pretty ordinary when using a 100g jig and an out fit fit for a 450g Doggie jig!
so i'd first look at your jig size and match accordingly....it has worked for me!
don't be scared to fish a 4500 sized reel and rod to match - they can catch big fish as i am sure this forum has plenty posts to back me up!

your short list looks spot on - now go take out your top 10 jigs used in your areas and match accordingly!

tight lines BOET ;D

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 05, 2011, 05:22:48 PM
For that depth I use a saltiga 4500 matched to a saltiga spartan pe5 and its a great outfit you can jig with all day and can pull some good fish off the bottom. I am going to get a new saltiga 5000 for the spartan and put the old 4500 back on the hiramasa 63s which is a cracker outfit.

Luke Anderson

December 06, 2011, 01:46:26 PM
ill second the 4500 saltiga & 63s combo!

Mark Whitaker

January 29, 2012, 05:15:53 PM
I find the 4500Z too big for the 63S

I changed to a Van Staal VS100 and find this conbination perfectly balanced.

Same line capacity, maybe 30m less on the Van Staal but the Staal is 253g lighter, 317 vs 570g for the 4500Z and just as strong.

Drag on the Van Staal is as good as my 6000GT with Carbontex Drag!

I use this outfit for Soft Plastics, Rubber Jigging to 200g Lucanus and casting light stickbaits and swimmers.

For a dedicated PE6 Jigging reel, I would go a Van Staal VSB150 Bailed version, capacity between the 4500Z and 5000Z, 15kg drag and only 476g

Mark
Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:25:22 PM by Mark Whitaker