Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hawaiian GT Action
February 03, 2012, 05:36:25 PM
Hi Ed,

A good guy to go with for jigging would be Wayne Knight on the Playtime, another would be Jeff Rogers, mostly targeting big Kahala (amberjack). Both are out of Kona. If you spent time here before, then you probably know that not many charter guys are interested in jigging/popping for ulua. Times have been real tough on our charter fleet though, and right now you'll be able to get any one of them to do what you like, as long as they make their money.

I think you're best bet to get into some serious ulua action on a charter would be to get in touch with Kurwin Matsunaga, and do an overnight boat trip to South Point. If my boat could handle it, i would go, but in that nasty ocean you'll definitely want to be on something big. That ledge is infested with ulua away from where the slide bait guys can reach.

The shore fishing here in kona can be absolutely nuts for a few days, and then stone cold for weeks. If you catch the weather right, you can definitely have a shot at true giant ulua plugging from shore. You're best bet for consistent fishing and decent conditions would be March/April. Try and avoid the full moon by a few days, on either side of the cycle.

ed baduria

February 03, 2012, 06:29:58 PM
Hi Ed,

A good guy to go with for jigging would be Wayne Knight on the Playtime, another would be Jeff Rogers, mostly targeting big Kahala (amberjack). Both are out of Kona. If you spent time here before, then you probably know that not many charter guys are interested in jigging/popping for ulua. Times have been real tough on our charter fleet though, and right now you'll be able to get any one of them to do what you like, as long as they make their money.

I think you're best bet to get into some serious ulua action on a charter would be to get in touch with Kurwin Matsunaga, and do an overnight boat trip to South Point. If my boat could handle it, i would go, but in that nasty ocean you'll definitely want to be on something big. That ledge is infested with ulua away from where the slide bait guys can reach.

The shore fishing here in kona can be absolutely nuts for a few days, and then stone cold for weeks. If you catch the weather right, you can definitely have a shot at true giant ulua plugging from shore. You're best bet for consistent fishing and decent conditions would be March/April. Try and avoid the full moon by a few days, on either side of the cycle.

Hey Nathan,
Thanks for the info! I'll check on those charters or maybe I just do the Whipping thing. I can't believe the charters still keep all the fish you catch. How am I going to get any fresh Poki! Don't have much choice on the dates, it has to be in February. As soon as I firm up my vacation date's, I'll get in contact with you. Thanks again

ED

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
February 03, 2012, 07:18:17 PM
Thanks Luke I will definitely give you a heads up before I head down there. Hopefully I can put Pat on some fish next month.

Aloha Ed,
Nathan would definitely be the man to talk to on the big island, I live on Oahu. Nate has put a bunch of us from Oahu on some fish.

GT FIGHT CLUB

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 09, 2012, 12:02:25 PM
Nice job; not easy to pull fish like that out of there.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
February 17, 2012, 06:06:45 AM
Howzit,

My trips are not as exotic as most on here, but luckily we are able to get out frequently as i'm very fortunate to live close to some decent grounds. During our "winter" season its better to put down your fishing pole and grab your board cause the waves are big but luckily we had a break yesterday. Went out yesterday with some friends for 3 1/2 hours and managed 5 strikes, one cut with one boated. Got to give credit to braddah Pat on this one as the day before I got an earfull on how I should be fighting these fish also got a spool of his setup to try out, very simple and devastating. Learning every day.

Anyways the crew worked flawlessly and we were able to land, tag, and release this fish to fight another day unharmed. Fish hit a big nambus 220.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 05:23:19 PM
Howzit from Big Island,

Dunked the new boat in today after work for a quick afternoon solo session. Usually i fish from the rocks in the afternoon, but today had pretty nice conditions for an afternoon on the water. I drove over to check out my boys surfing some decent head high peeling waves at our homebreak. They paddled out to the boat to talk story, and i tried to convince them to come on and fish for a while but they chose waves instead.

There was some good current just off the dropoff outside the waves so i made a quick drift and came up with this nice 50lb ulua.
The fish hit in some swirling current in about 70ft of water as a school of ballyhoo were fleeing from the lure. It was a bit of a pain to drive the boat and fight the fish at the same time, but things still ended well. It was the only strike of the afternoon, but for only an hour and a half of daylight, one fish is good enough.
Hana pa'a! 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us   

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 08:07:22 AM
After a three week fishing absence went out yesterdayday after I heard the field report from my buddies. Went out during our usual school hour run 8-2pm. Started out as usual nothing for an hour or so then we started bangin um out, we bagged 4 I got 3 and my buddy got 1. We had a double hookup on our last run which made it hectic for a little while.  With only two guys in the boat and both hooked up it made things interesting since no one was left to drive! As we laugh our axx off looking at each other there was only one thing left to do, hamma the fish in! first one in the boat is the champ  ;D as luck would have it the fish decided to start crossing each other and after a quick circus act on the boat we got um in, my buddy was  first. all except one fish were tagged cause we ran out of tags, they all swam away strong.

Lures used were PD Mastard Bomb 155, carpenter pandora, and skipjack 150. No big boys wanted to tangle but it was a very fun day laying into these fish with my buddy.

This fish had holes in it from what I dont know but we didn't want to touch it  :? its frickin guts were coming out of one of the holes. Its got a tag in it now interesting to see if it ever gets recovered.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 31, 2012, 10:00:13 AM
The holes are from Cookie cutter shark!!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 10:56:13 AM
Well done Charles.  Those two black fish are just about as black as I have seen.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 01:37:17 PM
Charlie told me to add to this thread, so here are a few from two days before Charlie guys went out. After our day on the water, Charlie called for the report and i told him to GET OUT THERE!
Rockin the Van Staal 275 and Black Hole 86N on this day. Landed 3, missed a few more. My friend also had a mahimahi strike in about 75ft of water, and we had a 7ft hammerhead shark swim next to the boat also.
Oahu Style, Hana Pa'a!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 02:37:57 PM
Some very nice fish there Nathan..... well done. It is great seeing reports from Hawaii in this forum

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 02:42:00 PM
Awesome fish Nathan and Charles, I love the pitch black pair... dying to get my first darkie  8)

Nathan, how do you find the trebles and assist on the eyelet?  Does it result in more hookups?
Focus on the pop

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 04:13:54 PM
Nice fish men, the holes in that first fish in the earlier post looks like he has had a nasty encounter with quite a large 'cookie cutter' shark. Poor fish.
Set the ray to GeeT

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 10:35:38 AM

The fish were biting this week and those were definitely some dark Ulua's.

As I was showing my pics to my 9 and 6 year old thats exactly what they said cookie cutter shark lol. Then the older one asked how deep the water was and where I caught the fish. I guess cable tv has some sort of educational value lol. That fish had another hole on the opposite side too.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2012, 08:57:03 PM
Keep those pictures coming Charles  :)