Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hawaiian GT Action
April 04, 2012, 03:53:57 PM
Some action from today. As usual school day hours 8-2pm. I guess today was my buddy's turn, some small fry's but they put up a good fight. Took six strikes between the three of us with two each. Fish came up on a Skipjack 150 and Daiwa Saltiga modified by my buddy. The other lures were a carpenter pandora and a prototype popper and stickbait that my buddies made.

Also a beast came up from some shorecasters the other day weighing 145lbs/65k.

The guy in the pics is Brian Himalaya I've posted pics of him before on this thread. Here's a you tube video of him in action bringing up a Ahi (yellowfin tuna) up from the sand, some of you may have already seen this.

Sammi since your a big tuna fisherman I think youll like this. By the way was cool to meet you in tokyo and thanks for pointing everyone out for me and snapping a few pics. I'm sure you'll see me wondering in your store sometime in the near future  :D.

The last Pic is my buddies prototype gimbol/fighting belt we call it SLIPAH for short  ;D and yes he did ude it to catch his fish.

Brian's Ahi Caught from Shore Waianae, Oahu

GT FIGHT CLUB

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2012, 11:18:36 PM
Charles, that 'Slipah' looks just like a thong, I bet you can even put it on your foot when your not popping!

Very innovative, no doubt it costs a bomb and is made of some low memory, super absorbant, light rubber!

Priceless!
Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:27:37 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2012, 11:48:50 PM
Hi Andy ,

You remember Gus Connor's contraption from a piece of hard rubber ?  ;D

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
April 06, 2012, 03:30:18 PM
Some Action from today. Went out with two of my buddies and took 4 strikes within 4 1/2 hours of fishing. Strikes came on some new lures my buddy makes and a skipjack 150. All were tag n release. My fish came on the first cast of the day which was awesome as I was not fatigued from casting for hours and able to lay into him. My buddy hooked up 10 min after me which made it pretty exciting. Then kind of dead for the rest of the time. Catching a fish on the first cast is always the kiss of death for the rest of the day lol!

This fish was very special for me because the Rod and lure was custom wrapped and made from my friends, awesome stuff!
GT FIGHT CLUB

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 07:32:46 AM
Went out yesterday for a school hour session 7-12 in the morning with the crew and had some fun. Conditions were 10-20mph with gusts and 2-3' swells. We fish from a 18.5' centerconsole the "Battlewagon". These conditions are pretty much the norm for springtime at our spot. We can actually fish it up to 6-7' swells in low wind conditions with someone at the helm full time. Its fun to surf the swell when resetting the drift and saves gas  ;D!

Three guys fishing and one fish each which makes it an awesome day! Sometimes you forget how many hooks are flying through the air untill your favorite rod gets hit by a lure, luckily through some miracle my buddy only ripped the crap out of my top two guides and the blank was scratchless :o. It will be repaired no problem but my buddy is restricted to the bow of the boat and no practice casts when were rigging poles!

Rods:
Ripplefisher 79H
Patriot Design Fire Vortex
SevenSeas Armorclad GT 77EX (2006 model, Matsutani Built)

Reels & Line:
Stella 18K's with PE8-12

Lures:
Homemade poppers and stickbaits 180-200g
GT FIGHT CLUB

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 02, 2012, 06:22:34 PM
With all these awesome reports coming from Oman I've been dying to lay into some Ulua's! Had only one day off in the past week and a half and we made it count.

These pics are from last tuesday when fellow forum member Nathan Tsao came down for his birthday to fish with myself and my buddy brian. we fished from 7am -4pm and it was a record day for our boat. A total of 18 strikes with 11 fish boated, 10 uluas and one mahi mahi all caught with locally made lures by our buddy and fellow forum member Ladd Yoshimura and Vinh Ngyun. Also Mahalo to Jeffery Villafania from kona who was nice enough to let us test some of his lures on Oahu. We had two doubles and one almost triple with two guys hooked up and one trying to demolish my lure, he just never stuck! We snapped pe-8 twice on some monsters and some serious beatings were taken by our terminal tackle. For the first time I bent an owner 9/0 jobu with carpenter 350lb split rings and decoy 8/0 treble with the same split ring on the same fish which left me scratching my head but hey thats fishing :o. Also owner st76 trebles were straightened on this trip.

There was a lot of the smaller ones coming up and we all lost a big one, but it was an awesome time on the water. The only part that sucked about the trip was Brian and Nathan was putting on a clinic and i was driving, leadering, and taking pics of fish all day but at least I got to bring home some mahi for the family and neighbors lol. The only reason we came in was because we ran out of food and everyone was cramping up lol! Hope to bring some more action this week as we plan to exploit this bite as things are starting to turn on in Hawaii.

To those of you from Australia I just visited Sydney for the first time this past week and I got to say it was a beautiful city and really impressed! Got to bring the family down sometime this year and play tourist.

Aloha,

Charles

Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:51:45 PM by Charles Cintron
GT FIGHT CLUB

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 03:15:37 PM
Howzit,

Some action from the past few days. Having some fun with the crew, for some reason ive been catching some Omilu's (bluefin trevally) but ill take um anyday. My buddy got caught with the trailer hook right in his thumb :o on one of the fish and shut him down for the rest of the day good thing it was barbless! Been pullin hooks on decent fish lately and its driving me crazy!! thats fishin. One more day left in our little marathon my back is killin me!

All fish T&R except mahi of course and one of the blue gt's, my treble got the best of him.

Rods
Ripple fisher 79h
seven seas armorclad
black hole nano 80n
coral viper

reels
stella and saltiga

and still rockin the homemades but we did catch a couple on a skipjack and wahoo100
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 05:27:03 PM
Excellent stuff Charles. Really good to be getting your reports from Hawaii.

Bluefin Trevally are so aggressive.  I have had really little ones taking monster lures.

And it seems to be body piercing time. I recently put a Recorder 6/0 straight through a toe. In one side and out the other. Amazingly it missed the bone.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 09, 2012, 02:00:52 PM
Excellent stuff Charles. Really good to be getting your reports from Hawaii.

Bluefin Trevally are so aggressive.  I have had really little ones taking monster lures.

And it seems to be body piercing time. I recently put a Recorder 6/0 straight through a toe. In one side and out the other. Amazingly it missed the bone.

Ouch!!
GT FIGHT CLUB

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 09, 2012, 02:20:45 PM
Well we closed out the fishing marathon with a bang and nailed my biggest GT yet including some bruisers that the crew caught. The boyz was laying down the hamma today and we had a double today in the washing machine that put the test to my boat driving skills but we got um after a quick scramble that left me hoisting two 50 poundas in the front and back of the boat ;D awesome action! As for my fish it was a hell of a fight but we got um! Measured 50 inches/ 127 cm of pure Hawaiian Animal!  I love this stuff!!! I think the wife is glad to see me go to work tommorow as nothing is getting done around the house  :D

Go get um guys I luv reading your reports!

Rods
ripple 79h
Armorclad
fire vortex

Reels
stellas

Lures
Still rockin the home grown lures
GT FIGHT CLUB

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 09, 2012, 02:55:10 PM
Great work - congrats on the PB, a solid fish for sure

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
June 07, 2012, 09:24:31 AM
Finally went out yesterday with my buddy after a 3 week absence. We fished from 7am -12pm and boated 5 fish with the biggest going 104cm/41in. Was a great day to go fishing and the water was perfect for some popping. Our first hookup was a double which is just a cluster being the only guys in a small boat but fun. I think we took too long a break as the first fish we caught gassed us lol and they weren't that big!

Brian and I would like to say a big Mahalo! to Kurt De Villiers down in OZ for selling us some of his Killer rods! Thanks for shipping it to Sydney! We took them out yesterday and introduced them to their new home and some Hawaiian GT's and I think they like it here :D with a pair of Uluas coming up on each pole.  They will definitely be used out here!

All fished Tagged and Released except the little guy which ended up as Sashimi

Lures
Lunchbox Stickbait- Made in Hawaii
Odnob- Made in Hawaii
PD Mastard Bomb 155
Heru Wahoo 100

Rods
Carpenter WV83
PD Zanzibar
Ripple 79H
Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:45:40 AM by Charles Cintron
GT FIGHT CLUB

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 07, 2012, 10:31:55 AM
Nice work again Charles, great to see the homies producing the goods  8)

I'm flying out to Hawaii today for a 2 week holiday with the little lady... one week at Waikiki and the second week at Kona.  No fishing plans as such but it would be great to catch up with some of the locals and talk tactics if you have any time spare!
Focus on the pop

Travis Pantohan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 07, 2012, 11:12:37 AM
Sup Charlie

Nice report.  Wish I could have been on that outing.  Looks like you guys scored some nice weather also after all that wind we have been having!!! Nice.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
June 12, 2012, 07:52:34 AM
Went out yesterday from 6-11am with my buddy and hooked into some fun fish. It seems the bluefin trevally was out in full force as we cam across a lot more than usual. I hooked my biggest bluefin trevally with a gamma 200 at 83cm it was a beautifull fish and lucky for him the right fisherman caught him as he'll have a few more years to terrorize the reef. Our biggest of the day was a nice black ulua at 86cm that hit a PD mastard bomb 155. From the reports I read it sounds like the blacks are not as common around the world or is it? our last bluefin gt came on my buddies homemade Tunda 180. We had a few big boys show up to show face but just one beast flexed his muscle.

They were hitting shallow and my buddy hooked up into a beast that decided stopping was not an option for him and snapped his pe-8 at the reel  :o kind of sucked as he was ready to hamma but the line broke. Also had a nice double bluefin gt hookup but the second one came off >:(. The last pic goes to show no matter how big these gt's are they still got a killer instinct, the lure is literally the same size as the fish!lol

Rods
WV83
Seven Seas armorclad
Black Hole 80N

Aloha 
GT FIGHT CLUB