Sandy Moorhouse

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SBT Lures.
February 09, 2012, 11:37:31 PM
The SBTs should be here soon so what lures should I be buying? Sinking Saltiga Sliders? Anything else?

Will be fishing off the SE of South Australia, the school fish are about 25kg.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: SBT Lures.
February 10, 2012, 04:19:46 PM
Orion BigFoot 70 & 100
Moutoukenmaru (various sizes)
CB One Ozma 68g

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 16, 2012, 12:03:18 AM
Yozuri 140 sinking stickbaits in blue over silver did well for us out of portland last year. We found trolling a single xrap until we located fish and then casting pulled alot of bites.

Sandy Moorhouse

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Thanks for the tips.
April 16, 2012, 09:32:30 AM
Well headed out from Pt Mac yesterday. Great day. Got 2 school size fish on a Duel sinking stick bait. We trolled a full spread until we got a hook up then started casting and jigging. The guys jigging also got a couple.

GTpopping was a great help in getting me started ,so thanks. My first FG knot even held!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 16, 2012, 09:33:37 AM
Well done!  ;D 8)

Sandy Moorhouse

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 16, 2012, 11:32:32 AM
Not huge but a start.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 12, 2012, 11:02:19 PM
Orion BigFoot 70 & 100
CB One Ozma 68g

Luke, do you think the "real" look of the Moutoukenmaru and the CB One Ozma plays a big part with Tuna? because at the other end of the spectrum is the more agricultural Orion?

I am looking into developing a lure for Tuna and am leaning towards the "real" finish...Something between 150mm and 230mm also...Any advice here?

All we see here in NZ is guys pitching whole Hoki fish to absolute monster SBT, don't see many guys fishing lures probably due to the size of the fish and the tackle needed. The YFT are all but gone, sadly I wasn't born early enough to see them in my local waters so testing is going to be hard here in NZ.

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 15, 2012, 09:12:37 PM
I will happilty test any tuna lure you care to send my way, I spen alot of my time casting to bft now caught heaps (mainly school fish) up to 40kgs

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 15, 2012, 09:21:02 PM
I will happilty test any tuna lure you care to send my way, I spen alot of my time casting to bft now caught heaps (mainly school fish) up to 40kgs

Thanks Kyle, what size lures are you normally casting at these fish?

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 15, 2012, 09:32:12 PM
In the 140mm size give or take for down s/w Victoria (portland/port fairy) that being said I just got myself a carpenter bluefish to try in Bermagui next week. The bft in victoria tend to chase smaller baitfish pilchards and red rockets so the smaller lures tend to work down here but recently they have been fixated on 40mm bait making them very difficult to tempt. Red rockets are a very boring looking baitfish being mostly grey with red fins. I tend to agree that matching the hatch is important with tuna unlike the GT's that love a lary colourful lure.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 15, 2012, 09:58:50 PM
Orion BigFoot 70 & 100
CB One Ozma 68g

Luke, do you think the "real" look of the Moutoukenmaru and the CB One Ozma plays a big part with Tuna? because at the other end of the spectrum is the more agricultural Orion?

I am looking into developing a lure for Tuna and am leaning towards the "real" finish...Something between 150mm and 230mm also...Any advice here?

All we see here in NZ is guys pitching whole Hoki fish to absolute monster SBT, don't see many guys fishing lures probably due to the size of the fish and the tackle needed. The YFT are all but gone, sadly I wasn't born early enough to see them in my local waters so testing is going to be hard here in NZ.

Profile and size is firstly and foremost the most important factor. For southern fish, the sweet spot is 100-130mm.

With respect to colours, naturals are definitely preferred. Anything Orion is focused on white and red bait styles.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 15, 2012, 10:14:36 PM
However, 150mm is a pretty standard size for Bluefin around the world. The SBT will eat this - I just wish it was more often than not!!!