Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Where is your next trip?
February 11, 2012, 08:30:04 PM
There are some real monsters lurking around those rigs in the east coast of Malaysia but such trips are not for the faint hearted.

Doing Hallaniyat next week. Hope the weather's good and the GTs are biting ;D

Hallaniyat definitely seems to be the flavour of the year at the moment.  I can't believe I am actually going twice this year!

Jay, you are so right that GT destinations are almost invariably of great natural beauty. But then there are the rusty Malaysian oil rigs  ::) .

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 11, 2012, 10:10:51 PM
Please tell me more about these Malaysian rigs. I have contacts in the region.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 11, 2012, 10:28:15 PM
Ben, I will leave that one to Chris or some of our other Singapore/Malaysia members. I have only seen the pics - never been out there.

Stephen Callus

• Fusilier
  • plan a trip to stay a live
  • Liked:
February 11, 2012, 10:50:07 PM
Where

Did my first ever GT trip last year with Nomad to Bugatti reef in August 2011 organized by Brandon and fished with a bunch of wonderful  MCA guys. This year July 2012 uncharted waters further north with Nomad and the MCA guys.

Why

When you have such a wonderful and hardworking  organizer like Brandon and the knowledge of the Nomad team and a bunch of great guys you cant go wrong ;D ;D
plan a trip to stay a live

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 02:36:33 PM
I've been to these rigs twice a few years back. The boats heading there are pretty basic. One of the boats sank on one trip out while being towed to the rigs.

You'll need to have a commando style modus operandi, all lights out while getting into the rigs at night. And you're tied to one of the legs of the rigs while you jig or pop. Once the patrol boats come, you need to untie and get your boat out of the area quickly - like a cat and mouse game. As if GT fishing is not exciting enough.....

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 02:41:29 PM
WHERE:
Friday after next = Swains / Coral Sea for 10 Days.

WHY:
GTs, Wahoo, Mackerel, & Tuna - Surface Fish :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 05:30:31 PM
Except for the sinking boat bit, that sounds like a fun adventure Chris :).

I've been to these rigs twice a few years back. The boats heading there are pretty basic. One of the boats sank on one trip out while being towed to the rigs.

You'll need to have a commando style modus operandi, all lights out while getting into the rigs at night. And you're tied to one of the legs of the rigs while you jig or pop. Once the patrol boats come, you need to untie and get your boat out of the area quickly - like a cat and mouse game. As if GT fishing is not exciting enough.....

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 05:53:23 PM

Any idea who the rigs belong to and could you share the location? If they are Petronas rigs I may be able to pull some strings and get security clearance for trip out there.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 06:05:56 PM
I think off the coast of Terrenganu Ben, although there are also some in Sabah and Sarawak as well I think.

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 06:14:48 PM
The ones I've been to are located off the coasts of Sarawak and Brunei. I know some are managed by Shell - not too sure which ones are managed by Petronas. But if you do get a chance to fish these rigs, there's every chance of monster class gts and I've seen pictures of mega gts.

Problem there is how to stop them from getting into the rigs and bust you off. It's an interesting location and I believe the gts there love big eye jacks. We'll hook these jacks and the gts will come and tax them

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 06:29:09 PM
Thankful for those rigs....otherwise, those Mega GT would probably not exist!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 06:36:43 PM
Thankful for those rigs....otherwise, those Mega GT would probably not exist!

You keen on a trip if I can arrange clearance? I've got a heap of friends in KK and Sarawak and should be able to pull some strings. Maybe even bring the big boy and his cameras, would make a great episode.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 06:51:56 PM
End of April this year for four days at Stanage Bay Central Queensland for my Bucks(stag) party. For the unfamiliar, its in the Shoalwater Bay region.
Nine guys, three 7 metre trailer boats, lots of popping, lots of beer and crabs and lots of bullshit!!
I have hired a shed for the outragous sum of $10 per night each. Sleeps nine, has a gas BBQ and refrigeration!!

I'll do a trip report after its over!!

Ken

hi ken ,

hmmm that sound great so hey

Got room for me to tag along ??  ::) ::)

<"((><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 07:18:19 PM
Good try, Mick!!  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 07:58:21 PM
Aitutaki Cook Islands. Long way from the Uk but so is anywhere where there is good fishing.
looking forward to catching double figure Bonefish on the Fly and Travellies off the beach.
will be first time after the Travellies different types and sizes I believe.