Steve Li

FC Leaders and Sinking Lures
February 12, 2012, 09:11:06 PM
Hi guys

Just wanna seek some of your views and thoughts about using FC leaders with sinking lures.

With a sinking lure, the leader will be below the water surface. As such, was wondering whether using FC will be an advantage or necessity???

I have tried using entire length of FC (as shock and bite leader) connected via a PR knot which I know is not suitable, but I wanted to see if using FC on sinking lures will lead to more bites! I have experienced the FC splintering at the knot probably caused by the guides thru continuous casting. I followed that up by connecting a short 3 feet FC to my usual mono leader via uni-to-uni but it appears to slip on high load. Is there a place for FC leaders in the sport of stick / swim baits especially sinking ones?

Hope you guys can share some of your thoughts, advice or personal experiences here. Cheers!    :)

Steve

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FC Leaders and Sinking Lures
February 12, 2012, 10:34:17 PM
Hi Steve ,

I use short heavy bite leader made from fluorocarbon with both ends crimped for the purpose of big YFT fishing , this bite leader is outside the tip top guide when being cast and have prevented from the leader being gnawed by the small teeth of big YFT .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Steve Li

Re: FC Leaders and Sinking Lures
February 13, 2012, 04:43:31 AM
Hi Steve ,

I use short heavy bite leader made from fluorocarbon with both ends crimped for the purpose of big YFT fishing , this bite leader is outside the tip top guide when being cast and have prevented from the leader being gnawed by the small teeth of big YFT .

Jon .

Hi Jon

How did you rig it exactly? Was it a FC running parallel to mono and then crimped with double barrel crimps??? Any knots involved?

Cheers!

Steve