Al Morrison

Re: Land based GT fishing in Malaysia
February 17, 2012, 02:50:34 AM
The beaches around Rompin have small threadfin and heaps of catfish, thats about all i know of beach wise. On really light spinning / popping gear - the long toms are good sport (did i really type that in a GT forum?).

As everyone has mentioned, Rompin and the sails, when they are on the chew - lures raise them brilliantly. The fishing is great - boats leave a bit to be desired. The fishing can be SOOOOO good it compensates for it.

Feshwater fishing? I've caught a heap of haruan around Rompin on small topwater and diving lures.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
February 17, 2012, 04:11:16 AM
Thanks Al

Sounds encouraging, I'll pack a light spinning outfit too in that case. For the sails would my GT rod do the job? It's a Zenaq, quite long as designed for land based popping, PE5-7. I have a baitrunner 8000d but I'm guessing I'll need something a bit heavier?

Cheers!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2012, 07:40:08 AM
Tom, before you decide on Rompin, you better have a look at where it is first and what it provides relative to how your missus pictures the holiday. It isn't a 20 minutes drive from Penang or KL. I suspect you might have an expectation gap to deal with.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2012, 11:48:09 AM
On really light spinning / popping gear - the long toms are good sport (did i really type that in a GT forum?).

Pah!  That's just about all I can catch on light spinning gear from my local beach at the moment. Damnable annoying beaky things that attack every type of lure imaginable  >:(.
Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:53:04 AM by Mark Harris

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 17, 2012, 11:51:13 AM
Should we skip the Gt Mark, and just go fishing for long toms instead :-)
Greetings
Simon

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 17, 2012, 07:16:06 PM
Thanks Al

Sounds encouraging, I'll pack a light spinning outfit too in that case. For the sails would my GT rod do the job? It's a Zenaq, quite long as designed for land based popping, PE5-7. I have a baitrunner 8000d but I'm guessing I'll need something a bit heavier?

Cheers!

I think you heavily overestimate these sailfish. There is a season for it, and the averages size is 15-20kg. You're looking at a PE3-4 rod, and a 5000 size type of reel (Shimano).

I fear, with a PE5-7 rod you will turn the poor things into skipping pencils!

Note that Rompin is a 4 hour or so drive from KL. KL is a 2-3 hour flight from Borneo (East Malaysia). KL is also about 450km south of Penang.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 17, 2012, 09:00:57 PM
Got it! Thanks for the advice Kasey.