Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod length Restrictions on flights
February 21, 2012, 07:29:13 PM
Guys,

Just new to the travelling angling and require assistance from those in the know.
The main concern I have is with overall lengths of rod tubes for domestic and international flights what you have done and what is acceptable.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Rod length Restrictions on flights
February 21, 2012, 07:38:09 PM
Hi Tony

With a rod case like a Carmate I have never personally come across a size restriction, even with the crappy discount airlines. 

I have heard talk of some airlines having restrictions but never come across it personally.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 07:56:22 PM
Havent had any issues with Virgin or Qantas.

Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 08:11:27 PM
it varies between airlines - it pays to check and check carefully. As an example, it differs between Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin and that is just domestically.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 08:35:21 PM

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 08:41:30 PM
Hi Tony,

Many airline company has separate allowance for sport equipment which allow you to check in rod tubes. Just check condition for each flight before you book.

Cheers,
Tak

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 08:53:16 PM
And many airlines do not classify rod tubes as sports equipment at all but you get away with it as regular luggage..... as Tak and Brandon say, check carefully.

I see that Qantas do classify rod tubes as sports equipment and presumably apply a surcharge. I am sure other members will know a lot about that.

The Qantas dimensions thing for normal checked baggage is simple - the width, height and depth of the piece must not exceed 140 cm when added together. http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en
Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:58:39 PM by Mark Harris

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 09:01:23 PM
A good thing to do, if you have issues, is get a Travel Golf Bag, and put your rod tube inside the gold bag.... those fat f*%k golfers ( no offense to any golfers!  :o) get a ridiclulous allowance for their golf bags as they fall under sporting equipment ( how golf is classified as a sport and fishing, especially popping/jigging isn't I have no frikken idea ) and they seem to be the most commonly travelled with "Sporting goods"....

I did a trip across the US a couple years back, and had 65 kilos worth of fishing and skateboards in a Golf Bag, as well as another bag, and never once did they even question me....

So it may pay to by a golf bag, and dress up like a doosh bag, pretend you're a golfer, and save some cash or hassles....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 09:36:52 PM
Andre I am in fits of laughter at your post oh so true ;D.

Mark in reference using a Plano rod tube adjustable full extension would be 213cm(7ft) by diameter 22cm total 235cm.

Even with my other two piece rods there packed length are 168 cm.

Carl Hollis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 09:39:56 PM
A good thing to do, if you have issues, is get a Travel Golf Bag, and put your rod tube inside the gold bag.... those fat f*%k golfers ( no offense to any golfers!  :o) get a ridiclulous allowance for their golf bags as they fall under sporting equipment ( how golf is classified as a sport and fishing, especially popping/jigging isn't I have no frikken idea ) and they seem to be the most commonly travelled with "Sporting goods"....

I did a trip across the US a couple years back, and had 65 kilos worth of fishing and skateboards in a Golf Bag, as well as another bag, and never once did they even question me....

So it may pay to by a golf bag, and dress up like a doosh bag, pretend you're a golfer, and save some cash or hassles....

Ha! What a cracker idea - made me giggle. I got a trip to Darwin in March and this could well be the solution to getting a heap of rods up there. Well done
Carlos

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 09:46:00 PM

Definitely gets my vote as post of the year so far!  Brilliant Andre.

Did you dress like a fat golfer as well?  8)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 09:48:26 PM
Andre I am in fits of laughter at your post oh so true ;D.

Mark in reference using a Plano rod tube adjustable full extension would be 213cm(7ft) by diameter 22cm total 235cm.

Even with my other two piece rods there packed length are 168 cm.

With Qantas' restrictive rules, no way you would get away with a rod tube as regular checked luggage. But they have a specific sporting category for fishing rods. http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/sporting-equipment/global/en#jump2

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 10:11:35 PM
Cheers Mark.

Much appreciated guys for your input and Knowledge once again thanks.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 10:36:03 PM
Having had rod tubes go walk about and never to been seen again. This happened twice on 2 trips to Cuba. I converted to multi piece rods some time ago. A 9ft 4piece rod will fit into my rolling duffel bag and arrive at my destination with me.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
February 21, 2012, 11:38:24 PM

Definitely gets my vote as post of the year so far!  Brilliant Andre.

Did you dress like a fat golfer as well?  8)

Mark - I'm about as far from a golfer looking person as you can get, so I did get alot of pretty odd looks when I was checking in with a fancy Calloway Golf Bag.....  8)
But I usually wear old skool tube socks and shorts, so I guess maybe they thought I was attempting to rock the Payne Stewart "Plus Fours" look and I got away with it....

Truth be told, with the way I look I don't think a gold course would even let me come in as a caddy!!!

Bloody golfers.....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...