Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best GT rig for ~50K
February 24, 2012, 10:29:45 PM
Ok so I'm going to be in the market for a boat soon and I'm open to suggestions for your best GT rig under 50K (new). Can be flexible and stretch the budget a little for the right boat but as a general guide would like to keep it around this mark. There's a few criteria that I'd like to meet but beside that it's pretty open. Firstly, I'd like it to be aluminium.. mostly just for the durability, running around shallow bommie infested lagoons, pulling up onto the beach when camping etc... Secondly, forward casting platform that's enjoyable to cast from is a must in a GT boat in my opinion... and thirdly something that is fairly light and easy to tow as I will aim to do frequent trips up north towing long distances. I'm leaning towards the NZ style ballasted boats (Bar Crusher, Surtees, Extreme etc) in centre console configuration but I'm not sure if anyone has any better suggestions  ???

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Best GT rig for ~50K
February 25, 2012, 05:57:00 AM
mate ya cant go wrong with the surtees, we do alot of fishing out of my mates 6.1 game fisher here in nz. been in some epic seas and once ya fill the ballest the deep v slices like an axe through the waves without a bone breaking ride home! very well built and the finish is just a bit better than the extreem imo. looking to move from my 5.5 glass vistacraft to one of the 6.1 or 5.85 in the near future. best thing is you can spec to your needs while they build it.

Ben Zamo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 09:52:24 AM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11752711

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11763281

Couple of 2nd hand Fishers here that would suit your requirements, my old man has the same boat in centre cab configuration and has done 600 hrs since 2007 of which I have done a couple of hundred. They are very solid, I wouldn't say light though as they are 6mm and 5mm plate construction but they have the ballast system and with a 23 deg deadrise the ride is excellent. I will warn you though there is no backup for them ( you wont get it up there anyway) as the company has gone under. We looked at the NZ style stuff aswell but custom mad was much better value for money at the time, but that was 5 years ago. Cheers Ben
Fish for the Future

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 11:59:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Ben, good input. Maybe a bit bigger than what I'm after though... really looking around the 5.0-5.5m mark. I've noticed the NZ boats have a pretty small fuel tank for their size compared with custom plate boats... maybe due to the narrow beam?

Ben Zamo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 02:20:19 PM
Yeah probably due to that and I think the distance they travel to and from their fishing grounds is a lot shorter than what we do in Aus. Nothing worse than having jerrys starapped around the deck, you can get some really good roll up fuel bladders these days that you can use first than stow away but they are quite dear.
Fish for the Future

Dave Kreutz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 03:01:45 PM
 Saw these at the Brisbane Boat show SeaRod by Formosa Boats.  A 5.5 cc with 115 etect was about 46 k. good finish etc  it has a ballast system like Bar Crushers and Surtees.

http://searod.com.au/searodboatmodels.php

i was in the market for a 6 Meter Boat and have purchased an Oz Craft , but if i wanted a 5.0-5.5 would have looked at these more

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 03:05:03 PM
My God, boats are expensive in Australia!

Dave Kreutz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 03:08:41 PM
Yes mark 6.0  65 to 70 K dependant on electronics Contenders 120 k

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 06:21:50 PM
Saw these at the Brisbane Boat show SeaRod by Formosa Boats.  A 5.5 cc with 115 etect was about 46 k. good finish etc  it has a ballast system like Bar Crushers and Surtees.

http://searod.com.au/searodboatmodels.php

i was in the market for a 6 Meter Boat and have purchased an Oz Craft , but if i wanted a 5.0-5.5 would have looked at these more

Thanks Dave, they look good... only problem is the only dealer is in Queensland. I think I might look at a 5.5m Centre Cab here in WA from a builder I've had my eye on for a long time. Benefits of being able to work closely with the builder would be great.. and it's fully custom so I can design it the way I want. I was considering a centre console but anyone who knows me know I hate getting wet and the added advantage of having somewhere dry to stow gear on extended trips is a huge plus.
Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:23:38 PM by Jay Burgess

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 06:22:28 PM
My God, boats are expensive in Australia!

Too expensive Mark!  :-\

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 06:40:28 PM
Seems like you guys get stuffed on everything down there from the price of a reel to the price of a boat  :-\.

michael north

February 25, 2012, 07:17:02 PM
Jay, read this its a very interesting thread on a swff forum

http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10582

This key west is what I'm going to be chasing. They float in some pretty skinny water and the ride of a glass boat is too good to go past

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 08:10:12 PM
Jay, read this its a very interesting thread on a swff forum

http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10582

This key west is what I'm going to be chasing. They float in some pretty skinny water and the ride of a glass boat is too good to go past

Can't see it mate because I'm not a member  :-\

Just don't know if I can go down the glass road? Still be interesting to take a look..

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2012, 08:11:21 PM
Seems like you guys get stuffed on everything down there from the price of a reel to the price of a boat  :-\.

Good thing I work in Oil & Gas, otherwise I'd probably need to seriously consider another hobby  ;D

michael north

February 25, 2012, 09:14:57 PM
Jay the boat was a key west 176 bay reef with a 115 yamaha with ~100hrs, 70lb minkota, new alloy trailer built to aussie specs, it set him back 23000 aud pickup from brissie ports. When I get out of the pub I can email your the thread content if you would like. Check out the key west boats, they look like a good gt rig they have a decent casting deck up front, but up back the sides look high enough to lock your knees in