Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gili Islands, Indonesia
February 26, 2012, 01:43:13 AM
Hello all

I'll be spending a week on Gili Air as part of my honeymoon. Naturally I was hoping to squeeze a bit of fishing in.

I already read on this forum that the Gili Islands are not great for GTs(?) but wondered what was the best approach if there are any to be found? Also what other species I could target?

I'm torn between taking a proper popping outfit (which means carrying a rod tube etc) or just taking light spinning tackle that folds down into a suitcase.

Thanks for any help,

P.S This forum is brilliant, I hope I can offer something back in the future!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Gili Islands, Indonesia
February 26, 2012, 12:14:02 PM
Tom, almost exactly this question was answered in the forum recently here:

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=4944.0

Not much point repeating that info.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 26, 2012, 07:38:16 PM
Perfect! Thanks Mark.

Josh Stuckey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 28, 2012, 10:52:50 AM
I got back from gili meno last week. I spun my arms off with 100mm poppers and metals, not a single strike. While snorkelling I did see a few bluefin trev's and a lone gt of 6-10kg, wasn't a heap of fish to chase. I took a light spin rod, jig rod and a gt special/Stella combo, way too much gear. To do it again I'd take a 10-20lb spin rod and a small selection of lures.

Josh

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 28, 2012, 12:05:46 PM
Yeah Josh, that is what I would expect. Told you to stick to a light spinning outfit!

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 08:23:32 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't catch Josh, good to know though, thanks.

Mark, is the fishing likely to be any better at a different time of year or around full moon you think? If not, is there somewhere within a day's travel of Gili Air I could get amongst some decent fish?

Thanks again.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 12:38:57 PM
Honestly, as I have said before, The Gili Islands is not a great fishing destination.  I have spent many many dozens of hours fishing there for little return. 

It's also IMHO not a very nice place these days after the massive, uncontrolled development boom over recent years. But maybe that's just me - I fondly remember the laid back, charming nature that these islands used to have.

In the peak periods of the moon cycle, then fishing will be a little better than other times of course, but it is never great.

I would suggest you would have most success with a 20-30 lb set up and fish small stickbaits, metals and even soft plastics.

Yes, there is quality fishing to be had in Lombok but it is a long way from the Gili Islands (about half a day of travelling each way).   Here's a simple map showing the relationship - you will see Gilis in the northwest and I have marked up the prime fishing spots in the south. You would need to go down and stay at Kuta Lombok to access the good fishing.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 08:29:49 PM
Very helpful, thank you Mark!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 09:04:01 PM
If you go to Lombok get the homestay details that Mark uses. Best omlettes I have had in a long while and lovely hosts.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 09:52:39 PM
You are not wrong there Ben.  Mike has often asked about you and Jon!  I will be over there again staying with him soon.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 10:49:35 PM
You will have to give him and Yuli my best.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 27, 2012, 09:21:05 PM
...just got back from Gili Air, following the advice in this thread I took minimal/light gear and went with fairy low expectations. I did quite a bit of lure fishing from the beach during the day without a single strike but eventually had some success at night with a small trevally, around 6kg (taken on a popper). The best spot seemed to be directly in front of Scallywags bar where the drop-off is closer to shore. The locals were impressed with the size of the fish which reaffirms what Mark said about the fishing there in general. I had another trevally the following night which was a bit smaller, all good sport on my 100g travel spinning rod though!

One morning we did some trolling,  had three strikes in total the first two of which I missed  :-\ before hooking up with a large grouper in fairly shallow water on the way back in. I was heartbroken as I watched it saunter under a rock and was unable to stop it...got the lure back at least.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 27, 2012, 10:40:07 PM
Hi Tom

I am pleased that you caught some fish at least and you went light to ensure some decent sport.

What trevally did you catch?  Any pics?  Always good to know.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 28, 2012, 01:29:32 AM
Thanks Mark, I'll upload a pic when I get a minute and perhaps you can ID it for me?...

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 28, 2012, 05:57:37 AM
Sorry, not the best pic...