Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I can tell you that I think I have lost 10-20m with the K guides on the Long Reef. I'm not a fan!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I can tell you that I think I have lost 10-20m with the K guides on the Long Reef. I'm not a fan!

Hi Brandon ,

I concur in your finding .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Interesting, I am running a sw 5k twinpower also. Also using the same size guides, out of interest can you measure from the spool lip to the first and second guide? My rod is set up as 620mm to the stripper and 820mm to the second (both measures from the lip to guide ring). It is the Kaiser Lightcast 73H.

Of course guide placement is a balance between casting and rod bend.

675 mm to the stripper
920 mm to guide two

The rod is fair bit longer than a Kaiser Lightcast of course.
Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:34:26 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Bloody hell!  That is a huge loss of distance.  Even if the wind knot claims are valid you can't be losing up to 20 metres.  Give me an occasional wind knot over short casts any day!

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I think the distance loss is due to the angle of the ring (?). The line tends to be channeled towards the blank after the guide, which I guess would make a lot more line slap on the blank.

Chris Rogerson

The K guides work really well as a single footer, but in my experience not as well as a double foot guide.