Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Incredible Oman with No Boundaries
February 28, 2012, 02:14:47 AM
Great report Chris  ;D good to see great catches n thumbs up for the conservation efforts

Your report really pumps up our enthusiasm  8)

Deposit paid, Stella's checked, Dogfights checked, monster hunter checked, patriot design checked...here we come in April...yoooohooo

Hate counting the days on the calendar. We are not even excited about our end April trip in Pekan for sails...gulps  :-X

Luke Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 28, 2012, 01:35:39 PM
I can't wait to get back!!!!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 12:37:45 PM
Those pictures are amazing mate,great report,are they taken from your camera or the boys on the charter ?

Some cracking fish and monster bream also...

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 03:04:10 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Pics taken from my D90 with Tokina 11-16 lens

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 03, 2012, 03:49:53 PM
Back in Dubai for a night so can finally get access on here. Great report Chris, thank you for the feedback  ;) Please pass on regards to Jac, Mav and Greg . . we had a 'Goal Keeper' 2 days ago! Dudes first cast of his first day and lure lands on water then all hell breaks loose as a 65kg GT goes on the rampage!! Landed though despite hooking up at only 3 meters. Pics coming. Was pleasure putting you guys onto some great fish and we look forward to welcoming you again. Cheers mate Ed

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 03, 2012, 05:42:06 PM
Now that would be an awesome goalkeeper to get - on his first day and first cast - a 65kg monster! Just saw the pics - that thing's huge!

We need to get back there to for Maverick's 65kg!

Back in Dubai for a night so can finally get access on here. Great report Chris, thank you for the feedback  ;) Please pass on regards to Jac, Mav and Greg . . we had a 'Goal Keeper' 2 days ago! Dudes first cast of his first day and lure lands on water then all hell breaks loose as a 65kg GT goes on the rampage!! Landed though despite hooking up at only 3 meters. Pics coming. Was pleasure putting you guys onto some great fish and we look forward to welcoming you again. Cheers mate Ed

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 09:35:19 AM
Hey Chris,

Good to see you and Mav getting amoungst some cracking fish! Those monster bream look awesome, do they go hard on the light gear? Great report mate and quality photos!

Cheers Sam  ;D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 11:35:57 AM
Sam, jumping in here as those Southern Oman Bream intrigue me for an number of reasons.

First to answer the question you asked to Chris, they pull like hell!  I was lucky enough to catch a couple of 5 kg class fish and I could not believe how strong they were. Also a very smart fighter which heads for the nearest piece of structure as soon as it is hooked.

I am doing a bit of research to find out which acanthpopagrus Bream species this is as there are several candidates, at least one of which is poorly known.

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 03:02:35 PM
Hi, Mark,

What sort of lures work well for light tackle in Hallinayat ? I was thinking about bringing some spoons, minnows, stick baits n poppers.

But I m not sure about the weight & type that works well there.

Appreciate yr sharing

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 05:43:24 PM
Lenny, as I spent ALL my time there light casting  >:( due to the weather I got quite a good feel for that!

I caught fish with surface and sinking stickbaits, metals and soft plastics.  The bream seem to love surface sticks that you can zip along fast, or little pencils.  I caught my biggest Bream with a little Yozuri pencil.  Small metals (say 30-40 grams) went well with emperors, pompanos and blacktip trevally.  There are big Queenfish to be had - I caught a 11/12 kg fish on a sinking Shimano Ocean Pencil 60 grams.  Ed's personal favourite stickbait there is Orion Mr Joe 40 grams.  That ought to give you some ideas.

Chris and co might be able to add to that.

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 06:45:46 PM
Cheers, Mark. Now, I know better what to bring along.

How about the bonies ? What is their preference ? Any chance of good bonies ?

I am pairing my Yamaga Blue Sniper PE4 with a Twinpower 5000. Not sure whether the reel is sufficient for the "light ones" at Hallinayat ? Should I use the Saltiga 4500Z instead ?

Have a great day !

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 09:51:54 PM
I have never heard of a bonefish being caught in Southern Oman but maybe there are some.

You will be fine with that set up for the light work. I would say perfect is a PE2/3 set up with a 5000 size reel.  Twinpower SW 5000 is certainly enough reel.
Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:12:56 PM by Mark Harris

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 05, 2012, 01:28:21 AM
Hey Sam

Mav and I had great time in Oman. It was unfortunate Mav couldn't land his 2 Big fish.

Those bream are real cool. They fight hard and dirty.

What worked for us were small poppers, soft plastics, spoons and minnows. The remote beaches were amazing. Fantastic marine life with bait balls and loads of predators smashing them up.

We saw some large shadows which refused all lures - not sure if they were bonefish or not but they were similar in shape.

Hey Chris,

Good to see you and Mav getting amoungst some cracking fish! Those monster bream look awesome, do they go hard on the light gear? Great report mate and quality photos!

Cheers Sam  ;D