Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Warning Dubai Airport Braid Issues
March 01, 2012, 09:41:27 PM
A lot of this is just absolute stupidity. A nail clipper is banned as a deadly dangerous item but you can bring bottles onto the plane. I'd suggest that a broken bottle would do a bit more damage than a nail clipper but perhaps there is some long lost martial art that utilises nail clippers in a deadly manner than I am unaware of.  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2012, 10:07:19 PM
Is Chris Tan allowed to get on planes Brandon..?

A body Slam could almost certainly see a plane go down... ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2012, 10:53:45 PM
I think we can put Chris into the category Andrew was talking about  ;D

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 01, 2012, 11:00:52 PM
Oi! >:(

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 02, 2012, 01:41:59 AM
Howzit Guys, We travel quite a bit from Dubai to Muscat, Salalah, Maldives and Seychelles and you cannot take any form of line, leaders, reels with line on the spool, flyreels nothing. This is mainly on the middle east airlines like Oman Air, Emirates, Ettihad, Qatar Air, Gulf Air. You might get away with it once or twice but they will catch you and make you go back and check it into luggage or if you are in a rush or not so lucky you will have to leave the line behind which can be a bugga up. We have had clients going to Maldives that they have made them cut off all the line off all the reels in front of them! Not a great start to the trip......

We have found that we can take big poppers, stickbaits and jigs in our hand luggage, we do get stopped and just say it is fishing equipment and they normally wave you through. So does not really make sense. But please if you do get stopped do not argue with the guys, UAE and Oman is basically military states and they don't take any crap even if you are in the right. We have learnt the hard way. Just agree with the guys and try make another plan. But best is to check everything through in luggage.

Hope this helps a bit, if anyone has any queries or needs any additional info send me a PM.

Cheers,
Nick

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
March 02, 2012, 05:48:28 AM
A lot of this is just absolute stupidity. A nail clipper is banned as a deadly dangerous item but you can bring bottles onto the plane. I'd suggest that a broken bottle would do a bit more damage than a nail clipper but perhaps there is some long lost martial art that utilises nail clippers in a deadly manner than I am unaware of.         

I agree very stupid as in business class I understand that they actually give you a normal knife and fork!!!!  Do they think only economy class passengers are at threat?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2012, 08:04:31 AM
Yes, business class went back to the steel knife a little while back. It was plastic knifes for quite a few years. It really would be interesting to try to understand why a nail clipper is so dangerous though!

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2012, 12:50:50 PM
its may well be if you used your nail clippers to clip you nails it may just go into the eyes of other people ,That maybe why lol .

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 11, 2012, 07:04:27 AM
I went through Dubai and did't have problems.
11 September paranoid......... >:(

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 11, 2012, 07:09:48 AM
Yes, business class went back to the steel knife a little while back. It was plastic knifes for quite a few years. It really would be interesting to try to understand why a nail clipper is so dangerous though!
Flying by Emirates this week all classes(economy included) used steel knife.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 06:16:29 PM
Flying by Emirates this week all classes(economy included) used steel knife.

Second that, steel knives all round on Emirates.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 15, 2012, 01:13:16 AM
Dubai is very strict on this.

If you are travelling to fish Oman coming from Asia look at flying Oman Air. You can go direct to Muscat (with connections to Salalah if you are fishing the south) from KL and Bangkok.  I had no issues at all carrying loaded reels through Muscat or Salalah - not even a question.

Likewise within Asia I never have problems with loaded reels.

In Europe and North America I have always checked spools and hand-carried reels minus the spools.

Hi Mark, what is the max weight for the check-in luggage and how many pieces can we check-in if i took Oman Air to Salalah?

thanks
izhan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 15, 2012, 01:21:07 AM
Hi Wan

Pretty sure it was a 30 kg limit in economy class. I checked in about 28 kgs - 1 carmate with 6 rods and 1 large Shimano bag which had a few clothes and loads of gear in it.  I did not pay any extra baggage charges.  Oman Air is a very decent airline.  I was impressed with the KL to Muscat flight.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 15, 2012, 01:26:18 AM
Hi Wan

Pretty sure it was a 30 kg limit in economy class. I checked in about 28 kgs - 1 carmate with 6 rods and 1 large Shimano bag which had a few clothes and loads of gear in it.  I did not pay any extra baggage charges.  Oman Air is a very decent airline.  I was impressed with the KL to Muscat flight.

Many thanks Mark, good to hear the 30kg limit. BTW, where can i buy extra baggage weight i.e another 5kg is surely nice!! How many hours from KL to Salalah?

izhan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked: