Steve Li

Re: Popping Jigging and flyfishing CXI
March 07, 2012, 01:12:01 AM
You are probably not the only one who has made that mistake Steve.

Generally Christmas Island is used around the world to refer to the small Indian Ocean island just to the south of Java which is an Australian territory.  A very important island ecologically, but not especially well known for its quality fishing.

The Christmas Island referred to here is Kiritimati, part of the Republic of Kiribati in the Pacific.

Haha, yeah got confused initially!!! Was wondering how Christmas Island (the Indian Ocean one) suddenly become such a hot popping ground!

Still figuring out how to get to Kiritimati........  :)

Kurt de Villiers

• Red Bass
  • go ugly early!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
March 07, 2012, 07:54:05 AM
You are probably not the only one who has made that mistake Steve.

Generally Christmas Island is used around the world to refer to the small Indian Ocean island just to the south of Java which is an Australian territory.  A very important island ecologically, but not especially well known for its quality fishing.

The Christmas Island referred to here is Kiritimati, part of the Republic of Kiribati in the Pacific.

Hi Steve,

There is/are one flight into and out of CXI per week. Air pacific is the only carrier to perform this flight route.
Flights into CXI from Fiji (Nadi) arrive early on Wed mornings, that flight then continues on to Hawaii.
Flights into CXI from Hawaii (Honolulu) arrive on Wed afternoons, that  flight then continues to Fiji.
If you fly Fiji-CXI there, and CXI - Fiji then you can gain an extra days fishing, due to the early arrival and late departure times.

Hope this helps
Kurt

Haha, yeah got confused initially!!! Was wondering how Christmas Island (the Indian Ocean one) suddenly become such a hot popping ground!

Still figuring out how to get to Kiritimati........  :)

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 08:58:14 AM
Those small tooth job fish do pull bloody hard, I had one smash a plastic I was just quick retrieving from the bottom to move spots and it near pulled the rod out of my hand and hairtailed off, thought I had a 15kg spaniard on the line but it was a 5kg jobby!

That second pic, the dark black GT, is insane

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 03:48:33 PM
Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:27:39 PM by Tony Fowler

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:09:10 PM
few more
Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:11:12 PM by Tony Fowler

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:14:01 PM
Awesome report ;D

Did the grouper get released or too much barotrauma?

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:16:00 PM
Yep to much barotrauma, feed 4 families.

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:20:06 PM
more

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:24:25 PM
end

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:26:43 PM
Very nice pics Tony. Great to see such a variety of quality fish landed.  Those whalers must have had the heart pounding until you actually saw them!

What lures did you get the bonefish on please? I have never manged to successfully hook one using spinning gear and really want to!  Small metals seem to excite them and get a strike of sorts, but I could never get a successful hook up.

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 04:38:45 PM
Hi Mark

On the most exposed side of the flats and islands with some wave action they feed the best and readily smashed the 3" size gulp grubs but 2" would be better on the flats with no waves. I just trimmed the 3" ones down a bit. Also got them on 2" gulp crabbies in the wash.

I used a 2-4kg Nitro rod with 10lb Jerry Brown and 12lb leader. A bit over kill for the class of fish I was catching.
Next time I'll go with a 1-3kg Nitro etc with 10lb castaway or Tooray and 6-8lb leaders for a bit more sport.

Steve Li

March 08, 2012, 12:51:19 AM
Hi Mark

On the most exposed side of the flats and islands with some wave action they feed the best and readily smashed the 3" size gulp grubs but 2" would be better on the flats with no waves. I just trimmed the 3" ones down a bit. Also got them on 2" gulp crabbies in the wash.

I used a 2-4kg Nitro rod with 10lb Jerry Brown and 12lb leader. A bit over kill for the class of fish I was catching.
Next time I'll go with a 1-3kg Nitro etc with 10lb castaway or Tooray and 6-8lb leaders for a bit more sport.

Hi Tony, care to share the costs involved like lodging and charter price or any other significant charges (via PM is cool)? Cheers!

Steve

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 08, 2012, 07:51:33 AM
Hi Steve,

I put the package together for the boys with the booking agent.  When I get home tonight I will see if I can attach the file so you can see what they did and how much it cost.  We are putting together another trip at the end of the year and another one next year - just waiting on the guys who are want to go to let me know dates.  It is nice to go with a group of like minded people because you do have to juggle boats and spend some time on the flats.  The last couple we have organised we have tried to get a mix of fly fishermen and jigging/popping fishermen as we find this works well.  The boys usually fly ex Brisbane via Fiji (even the guys who came from Phillipines and Singapore).  You can fly through Hawaii though.  Good thing is you can drop the other half off in Fiji and pick up on the way back.

Off the top of my head it was $2350 per week for the accom, food, guides etc.  On top of that you pay about $120 in tips for the week plus drinks.
The airfares from Brisbane are about $1100 unless you book fairly early and then sometimes you get them for about $1000.
You do buy a licence which is about $50.

All up about $3,700 for 6.5 days of fishing (if you fly from Brisbane - but 6 if you come from Honolulu)  (though add a bit more if you are like Kurt and Duncan and ship gear ahead of time)

Duncan has the hand held GPS with all the marks and we take a Sat phone which if you use you just pay for calls.  We also take an EPIRB (just in case) as the boats have no technology on board apart from radios. 

Cheers,
Janelle

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 09, 2012, 12:05:28 AM
I flew in from the Philippines and joined up with the guys in Brisbane. All in all it was some of the best company and best fishing I have enjoyed, and for less than 8 grand for the two weeks certainly some of the best value for money out there. Although I only fished fly for this trip, I found it no problem at all to mix in and get in on the action even with a boat full of popping and jigging rods and guys slinging stuff in all directions. No matter what the wether there was some fishing somewhere and not a single day was in any way a let down. The people and guides were truely freindly and helpfull with nothing being too much trouble. The accomodation at Ikari House was more than comfortable, clean, and the staff unobtrusive and efficient. Laundry done daily and back on your bed neatly folded and dry by the end of the day. For the sea food lovers there was more than plenty to satisfy even the most demanding with lobster, mantis shrimp and variouse fish delights served up daily. For the meat lovers there was no shortage of steak, chicken or pork. Full appetites satisfied with the rum flowing, and great company followed by a good sleep and the next day would satify our fishy dreams leaving new piscatorial goals to be achieved. Thanks to all the guys for a great trip.

Steve Li

March 09, 2012, 12:50:20 AM
I'm from Singapore so will have to get a flight to Brisbane then connect to Fiji then CXI??? The price quoted are in US$? Cheers guys!

Steve