Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all,

With all the experienced popping and stickbaiting guys (and guides) on this forum, I am curious to see what people's experiences are with fishing different types of location and structure.

I know we have caught GTs on the surface from many different depths and locations, and I am sure there are many people out there who fish out of their own boats and would like to know the best approach when fishing these different areas.

Here is a type of location that I am more used to.  I haven't fished this exact on (yet  8)) but we have done well in similar locations.  Depth of water around the peninsula is say 10-15m at low tide, with depth on the shallow inshore reef around 5m.  Where would you expect to find the fish?  What areas would you target first?  What type of lures would you be starting with?

Focus on the pop

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
This one looks the goods 8)

Anywhere from D3 and along the face of the rockbar at E3/E2, then the pocket starting at F2 right out to G1, I would also bet the rockbar continues deeper into square G and would also have fish along it.

Good luck!

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Nah Warwick, too much effort. Have a swim and a coupla coldies, wait for the tide to turn and hit the outside of G1

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Nah Warwick, too much effort. Have a swim and a coupla coldies, wait for the tide to turn and hit the outside of G1

Hhahahaha you talked me into it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

Hahahaha - yeah G1 stands out like the proverbial on this one, GT gold.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I think with any new spot, you will need to fish it on both tides to find where the fish hang. This is true for a number of spots we fish (Travis and Graham) rock bars that fish good with the tide running one direction and not so good with the tide running the other, despite still looking good.
It will be interesting to hear Andrews feed back after fishing this spot.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Also dont fall into the trap of only fishing the prime spots on the prime tides...yeah youre hookup to cast ratio will be a  lot better but you may also miss some spots n fish in unexpected locations. I know one of Warwicks best fish locally came from a bay id continue to drive past today if i hadnt been there to see the two gts blast out to smash that lure!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I really like this discussion idea.  Would be great to see more opinions coming in.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I would probably head to G1 regardless of which way the tide was running.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Well I am not sure if I will be fishing this location anytime soon... there are so many other places which are closer to home  ;)

I agree with the comment about fishing unlikely looking spots - almost all of our bigger fish have come from a spot so unlikely that we have only just started fishing it after 4 years of living here  ::)

My favourite spot would be a good one to discuss here because I know it very well, but I can't post it up here because that would give the game away   ;)  It fishes very differently on different tides but some of the places that the fish come from are real eye openers.  There can be bait schools and current in one spot, but repeated casts into that area produce nothing.  Move 30m away into a completely sterile looking section and whammo, there is a fish!

I am VERY keen to have some of the Oman/Bali/Maldives guides put up some opinions on these location strategies... I will post one soon with an outer reef channel and deep water... maybe that will get a bite from them  ;D
Focus on the pop

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Andrew,
Sounds like you are referring to what I call the 'fridge theory'. We love eating and keep our food in the fridge, but we don't live in the fridge. Sometimes we are there but mostly we are somewhere close by and like knowing the fridge is there. Even with the fridge full of food if we open the door too often the food goes off and we don't have any food left. The GTs know where the fridge is but they are not always sticking their nose in.

First figured out the fridge when cat hint big red emperor on the sand near isolated fern Patches