Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guys,

Any jigging possibilities at Hallinayat ? We are thinking whether to bring our jigging gear there or just stick to GT popping.

Anyone with positive jigging experience there care to share ?

Thanks,

Lenny

Barry Kurten

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Lenny,

I saw photo's that the Ocean Active and Saltywater tackle guys posted towards the end of last year. They got some MASSIVE Amber Jack !
So with NO experience  :P , but plenty pictures as proof , i can confirm there is plenty vertical jigging potential down Hallaniyat island way  :P

Heading down that way in 2 weeks myself .. I CANT WAIT !! Jigging kit is packed and almost ready to go .. Sitting at work now tying some assist hooks  ;D

Tight Lines for your trip !

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Lenny, definitely take your jigging gear. The navionics for the area imply there is some great potential for jigging there.

From asking around a lot, it seems that usually the top water is so good that folks do not bother too much with jigging. The fish are certainly there though as the odd report from those who have tried jigging confirms.

Personally I think there must be Dogtooths given the geography but I have never seen a picture of one caught there.  There are certainly large Amberjacks as Barry pointed out and there are also various tuna, GTs and lessser trevallies to be had on jig I am sure.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I've taken jigging gear on my last two trips, one to the Hallaniyats and the other New Caledonia and on both occasions I never bothered to rig up my jigging gear for the entire trip. I'm seriously considering not taking jigging gear on trips any more as it's just an extra hassle and weight that I don't need. That being said, top water comes first for me but if you're more jigging inclined then it may be worthwhile for you as there is good potential at the Hallaniyats. Like Mark said usually the top water is so good that people don't bother with jigging but I found that even when the top water was slow I couldn't move my focus to jigging.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I've taken jigging gear on my last two trips, one to the Hallaniyats and the other New Caledonia and on both occasions I never bothered to rig up my jigging gear for the entire trip. I'm seriously considering not taking jigging gear on trips any more as it's just an extra hassle and weight that I don't need. That being said, top water comes first for me but if you're more jigging inclined then it may be worthwhile for you as there is good potential at the Hallaniyats. Like Mark said usually the top water is so good that people don't bother with jigging but I found that even when the top water was slow I couldn't move my focus to jigging.

I know what you mean mate.  I used to be a hardcore jigger long before I got into popping but these days, when I do take a jig rod it so often sits doing nothing for the whole trip.  At Hallinayit though I would find it hard to leave a jig rod out just because of the geospatials.  I reckon if someone did a dedicated jigging trip there, the results could be tremendous.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I reckon if someone did a dedicated jigging trip there, the results could be tremendous.

Agreed, but who can walk past 65kg GT's?  ???

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Not me, that's for sure!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Lenny,

There is a lot of good jigging in Southern Oman. We usually jig on most of our trips when fishing is slow or there is no current or tide bad. There are a lot of potential places to jig but it takes a bit of time to find points and good places. The fish move during the season and you need to spend a bit of time exploring to find good fish. Most trips we get a good number of AJs with the biggest of 45kgs and there are a lot of big grouper which we are trying to puzzle out.

We mainly use PE6-8 for jigging and 200-400gr jigs to give you an indication.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
Thanks, Nick for your great advice.

Good on you, mate !

Steve Li

Hi Lenny,

There is a lot of good jigging in Southern Oman. We usually jig on most of our trips when fishing is slow or there is no current or tide bad. There are a lot of potential places to jig but it takes a bit of time to find points and good places. The fish move during the season and you need to spend a bit of time exploring to find good fish. Most trips we get a good number of AJs with the biggest of 45kgs and there are a lot of big grouper which we are trying to puzzle out.

We mainly use PE6-8 for jigging and 200-400gr jigs to give you an indication.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick

Are the AJs there all year round or seasonal? I was told the big AJs come about towards the end of the year. Any truth in that? Cheers!

Steve

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Howzit Steve, Sorry for the late reply, been running around the last few weeks.

We are still finding out a lot about the jigging in Southern Oman. We have caught Ajs throughout the season but we caught the most and biggest Oct-Dec. This period the seas are also normally nice and calm so make jigging and positioning the boat a bit easier. We have some jigging trips booked over this period so we should find out a lot more about the jigging and fish.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick