Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I arrived back from the Sportsfishing Festival in Japan and had a day in Dubai to prepare for our upcoming trips to Hallaniyat Islands Southern Oman. Luckily the first trip was with very good friends and clients AJ Pretorius, Jaco Scheepers and Riaan Botha. Being South African the guys had sorted all of the food and logistics this included a new Braai (BBQ), portable ARB fridge/freezer full of meat, snacks, charcoal etc. So from the beginning I new this was going to be a trip to remember! Little did I now it was going to be a trip of a lifetime!

We all agreed to meet up on the Al Ain highway to Southern Oman. We were going to drive down so we could take all of our toyz plus extra! I think we had more equipment than most tackle shops! We took a leisurely drive through the Omani desert with several stops along the way for fuel, coffee or just to chat about the fish we were hopefully going to catch in the coming days.

One of the petrol stops in the desert.

We finally arrived after about a 10 hour drive in Shuwaymiyah Southern Oman at about 15.00pm and by this time the excitement was overwhelming and everyone had a serious case of verbal diarrhea. We were early enough to be able to get one of our boats to take us across to our island villa so we could get straight into the fishing early the next morning. It was good to meet up with Capt Saoud again and catch up on all the gossip and happening while I had been away. There were a few stories of big fish which was a good sign. We unpacked the cars and loaded the boat up full with all the gear and left for 5 days of some of the best GT fishing that I think anyone could ever experience!

We arrived on Hallaniyat Island at our marina and were greeted by all of the team on the island. It is amazing straight from the start you feel like you are in another world on the island almost a lost era of hospitality and generosity. The guys are falling over themselves to help you and carrying bags, loading trucks, offering coffee and tea. Really makes you feel good and food for the soul! We finally loaded the trucks with all of the gear and drive the 100m to the villa. We did not even make it into our rooms and all the tackle started to come out and be set up. We thought it was a good idea to go down to the point of the island and throw a few poppers for GTs off the beach but we did not manage to raise any fish, but it was a great end to a day that started in busy Dubai. We watched the sun dip behind Soda Island and new that we were in for an adventure for the next 5 days.

A lot of gear plus the braai (BBq)

Unpacking and rigging starts

In true South African style the guys had the braai (BBQ) fired up on the upper deck overlooking the sea and a few big steaks on the go. We had a great first meal on the island and after finishing setting up the equipment were ready for the first days fishing.

Our 2 x 39ft Center Consoles in the marina, ready for action!

Jaco with the first fish of the trip

Not sure about the outfit, but if it works for you why not!! And it did work.....

Bending on the EP

Revenge is sweet

Loved this fish

We carried on fishing and Jaco got another good fish and AJ hooked and landed a smaller GT. An Amazing start and the fish were very aggressive, if they were missing the lure they would come in repeatedly, we saw some of the most amazing hits. I was again on the stern of the boat casting on the EP when a monster came out of the water about 2ms from the boat and absolutely smoked my OA Skipjack lure. I almost got pulled into the water and managed to find my feet, hit the fish several times and the game was on. We were in 9ms of water and I was putting as much pressure as possible with PE6 and the EP. After the initial run I got the fish under control and slowly worked the fish to the boat. When we got the fish to the boat I could not believe my eyes, the fish was massive! It took 3 people to load the fish into the boat and when we measured the fish it was 143cms and round like a barrel. We put the fish in the 57kgs mark. A truly amazing fish on the Endless Passion 85/36! This really made my trip and we were only on the first morning!!! We got a few pictures and released this beauty to fight another day!

Jaco bending

Big fish

AJ with a smallie

Bending on the EP, big fish hooked right at the boat.

Plenty power

Big Mama 57kgs on PE6 and Endless Passion 85/36. Definitely going on my wall in the shop!

Riaan feeling the pressure from his first big Geet! He was leaning on this fish so much I had to play long stop!

Awesome fish!

AJ bending on the GTK80SJX, now it is not only a YFT rod but a GT rod!

Big fish light tackle!

Lucky the hooks held!

Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:39:29 PM by Nick Bowles

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Over the next few days we continued to is the islands and catching some excellent fish. I was also testing the Hots 77XXXH popping rod, a really amazing rod and I caught a 50kg+ GTs on it and landed in about 3 minutes. A true power house of a rod but still easy to handle under high drag. Over the 5 days fishing we landed 29 GT with 25 GTs over 30kgs and 6 GTs over 50kgs! Everyone on the trip got a GT over 50kgs which I think is a very rare feat in GT fishing and one that will be very hard to beat! We had several bigger fish come up on the lures but unfortunately we did not land them but this just adds to the fisherman stories around the fire or braai.

Having lunch at the villa and a half time break from the GTs, good to refresh, change gear, have a shower and head out for the afternoon session.

Oceans 3

Local boats in the marina with the villa in the background.

A bit of light tackle fishing late afternoon around the island.

Hots 77XXXH in action on my first fish with the rod. Very impressed and one of my new favourites!

Very happy.

Longtail tuna caught on a drift tune jig. Sashimi!

An AJ on the 556

An AJ with AJ! Drum roll, sorry bad joke!

We saw a lot of dolphin, they normally follow the big YFT, but we did not see any unfortunately.

Lots of whales, but they would not take any stickbaits......

Riaan with another big GT

Me bending into my second 50kg+ GT on the Endless Passion.

Beautiful sight a big GT coming to the surface, the shine looks as big as the sun!

Head shot of the big girl

This is one of the biggest, meanest, gnarliest looking GTs I've ever caught!

New super GT specie, the bump head GT!!

Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:40:23 PM by Nick Bowles

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

Jaco feeling the deep burn!

Leadering Jacos fish

Another good GT

Riaan with a good GT

AJ and Saoud with a GT

Jaco feeling the deep burn again. This was on his 50kg fish, he had the back hook in the mouth and the front hook in the side. One of the funniest moments of the trip was when I asked him about 30 minutes into the fight if he needed help and he turned to me and said "I want to feel the hurt!" I almost fell off the boat laughing, amazing what we will pay money to do!!

Jaco loving the 50!

Big girl

AJ tight with the Racepoint 200

Number plate

Big GT

Bending on the 77XXXH

Poetry in motion

Good fish

Side shot

Cruising home after a long day, great feeling of fulfillment having caught good fish, body tired and good company.
Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:41:08 PM by Nick Bowles

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Wow, nice report Nick, some big fish there!

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
awesome report Nick!! cannot wait to get there!

your fish on the 77 is crazy - most honest photo i've seen!!! donkey fish!

congrats to everyone!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

Jaco using his brother Smith Tokara, I think there will be a few words at the next family reunion!

Tokara fish

AJ (Uncle) bending

One of the smaller GTs

Light tackle bonnies

Yellow Emperor, the first one I caught, think it might be miss named!

Light tackle bonnie, we took a few sessions break from the GTs to do some jigging and light tackle fishing.

Early morning start from the island

With twin 225 Yamaha 4 stroke the boats fly, bit cold early morning!

Riaan bending into a early morning GT

Riaans 50kg+ fish. Very happy!

Boyz happy with another big hook up!

Ajs 50kg+ fish. AJ has done many trips with us and other operators and fished many places so was good to get him this 50kg GT!

Jaco bending the Tokara again

Started loosing count of the sizes and weights by this stage, just tried to remember the monster fish.

Back onto the EP and PE6, palming the fish and still everything held up!

Smaller fish

Lots of happiness on the boat this trip!

Big geet

This GT hit close to the boat, I locked the reel and 77XXXH rod and held the fish, managed to land it in about 1.5 minutes.

Jaco bending, loving the Tokara, not sure if his brother will get the rod back!

Big mamma!

Team picture

Third 50kg+ fish for the rip and first on the Hots 77XXXH. Again hit close to the boat and locked everything up, got a very lively fish to the boat in about 3 minutes, I think my arms are about 10cm longer! Awesome fish and rod.

Head shot

Saoud and myself

By this time Riaan is a true pro on the GTs and fighting. Putting the hurt on the fish! This was the last fish of an amazing trip!

Head shot!

Strong fish, rod and fisherman!

All of the team worn out and having a well earnt sleep on the way back to the marina.

Unfortunately all trips must come to an end. This was an amazing trip and I think all the guys went back to work to relax! They will all be back for round 2 in October.

It makes a huge difference been able to stay close to the fishing grounds and getting the extra hours fishing and been able to get back to the island to change tackle or equipment plus being able to take a half time break during the day to sooth the ailing muscles after tangling some big GTs or just casting heavy poppers all day. We also had some bad weather but managed to fish in the afternoons both light tackle and for GTs. This all allowed us to catch a large number of very big GTs and also still relax and enjoy ourselves in an amazing environment on the island. We also did a bit of jigging and caught some Ajs and tuna. So in all it was an amazing trip with monster fish, good company, fantastic setting and I look forward to the guys next trip in October.

Cheers,
Nick

Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:41:57 PM by Nick Bowles

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
Extraordinary report nick.

Looks like the team indulged themselves in some of the best GT fishing on the planet.
Exceptional pictures as always nick and that GT with the bump on its head looks like a robbers dog. In Oz when something is very ugly we say looks like a robbers dog.

Cheers Rob
Cheers,
Rob

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Matt, Many thanks, the 77XXXH was a beast and caught some really good fish, lucky a few of the guys took some great pictures, not only good fisherman but good with the camera! Always helps! Hope you ready for your trip and the gym sessions are going to pay off! Hit it!!

Hi Robert, Many thanks, I think it'll be hard to beat this trip but we will certainly try! We have just finished another trip which we had some bad weather but we got a monster of a fish which I'll post in a few days when I get everything sorted out. Definately was a Robbers Dog then! Was ugly but strong as a donkey!

Cheers,
Nick

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Fantastic,congrats guys !! ;)
Saud : eaaaassyy for me !!! :D :D

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Thanks Celso! You really made me laugh, that is typical Saoud! Eeeeasy for me! or We must go Gig (Jig) full fish!

Cheers,
Nick

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Very well written report Nick and thanks for sharing.

All reports out of Hallaniyat at the moment are of lots of big fish and this seems like a great time of the year to be there.

Some great photos as well and thank you for providing some straight-on pictures so we can see how big the fish were rather than how good the wide angle lens was :) .

It makes me hurt to even think about a 50 kg side-hooked GT.

Great stuff and congratulations to everyone involved.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Mark, Many thanks, was an awesome trip and I think this time of year is going to be the time for good quantities or possible shots at big fish, hopefully everyone going over the next few weeks will get some big fish as the big Gts at the moment are huge and healthy and fighting like Rocky on roids! I was actually taken a back by the number of big fish, I think conditions were just right for a few of the days and also the fish were spawning. On the pictures you are bang on as I asked the guys to take some of my big fish side on as I thought it would help to see true size. The side hooked fish was a brute and Jaco stuck in there and saw the fight through! Very impressive!

Cheers,
Nick

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Abslolutely on fire, what an amazing trip, thankyou Nick, I have just had a quick look at this report but am dumbfounded.

I'll be looking again and again.

Love that massive fish with the stepped forehead very unique.

Quite impressed with your succes ont that EP really like the look of that rod.

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Andy, Many thanks, the bump head GT was an awesome fish and really aggressive even on the boat she was a hand full! The EP is a little rod with a lot of power. I was using PE6 and I managed to control most of the fish, I was lucky most of the fish hit near the boat but still amazed at the power. I'm so used to using heavy gear that it was very exciting using the light gear. I'll be writing another report in the next couple of days on a second trip we did and I managed a monster fish on much lighter rod, I would not recommend lighter tackle in Southern Oman but if you have the right set up and crew it is possible. All good fun!

Cheers,
Nick

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Absolutely awesome Nick, big fish,good camera work and looks like good company.
Going to get a crew together, got to do it.

By the way the third last pix. Is that race point 200?? What size hammer head??